View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2009, 10:45 AM

How to make a house a home?? suggestions please.

We have lived here two and a half years and i just dont feel at home here at all!

I love the location of my house, but thats as far as it goes!!
It is a three bed semi, it has been extended and is pretty big....too big for me as i just cant keep on top of the cleaning what with the dogs, kids and a messy husband!

Some of the rooms we just cant afford to decorate properly and there really is no point at mo with the kids being young.

So, any suggestions on how to put my stamp on my house so i can learn to love it without spending too much?
Thanks for any ideas they would really be appreciated i am so unhappy here.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2009, 10:49 AM
Oh dear....

If it was me I would be getting some cheap frames and putting up lots of photos.

Do you have the possibility of painting over wallpaper in a fresh clean colour, that always gives the place a lift.

I think also if money is tight I would perhaps concentrate on one room where I spent most time and work on that area. At least then you have maximum homeliness where you spend most time.

I don't know if I have been any help but sending you some hugs....
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2009, 10:55 AM
oh honey, that made me feel sad reading it ! Sending you *hugs*
Can you take some pics for us? It might be easier to make suggestions then - although I would say, smells can make a place feel very homely. If you have a slow cooker, I would cut up a few of the big juicy oranges, put in a pint of water and let it heat up - but leave the lid off. The gorgeous smell of oranges will go through your house and lift your spirits
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2009, 11:00 AM
I had that feeling for a while when we first moved in and it's only recently that our house suddenly feels homely.

I agree with Fudgley that concentrating on the room/s where you spend most time will help and a fresh lick of paint will help.

Photos are a great idea. If you sign up to either Tesco or Asda online photo centre you get 10 free prints - sign up to both and you get 20! They're only small 6x4 prints but dotted around they'll make it more homely. I'm getting my free ones done this week of Montys puppy Photos then they're going in cheap £1 frames from Ikea and hung on the Walls up the stairs. Bargain!

The other thing that always makes me feel more homely is plants for some reason!
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2009, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
Oh dear....

If it was me I would be getting some cheap frames and putting up lots of photos.

Do you have the possibility of painting over wallpaper in a fresh clean colour, that always gives the place a lift.

I think also if money is tight I would perhaps concentrate on one room where I spent most time and work on that area. At least then you have maximum homeliness where you spend most time.

I don't know if I have been any help but sending you some hugs....
Thanks. I think i will put more piccies up i hardly have any.
I guess its like a vicious circle..i dont bother with the house cos i dont like it and then i dont like the house cos i dont bother!!!

Originally Posted by MissE View Post
oh honey, that made me feel sad reading it ! Sending you *hugs*
Can you take some pics for us? It might be easier to make suggestions then - although I would say, smells can make a place feel very homely. If you have a slow cooker, I would cut up a few of the big juicy oranges, put in a pint of water and let it heat up - but leave the lid off. The gorgeous smell of oranges will go through your house and lift your spirits

Thanks MissE. Your right smells are important...the smell of wet mutts probably dont help much, lol!

Originally Posted by esmed View Post
I had that feeling for a while when we first moved in and it's only recently that our house suddenly feels homely.

I agree with Fudgley that concentrating on the room/s where you spend most time will help and a fresh lick of paint will help.

Photos are a great idea. If you sign up to either Tesco or Asda online photo centre you get 10 free prints - sign up to both and you get 20! They're only small 6x4 prints but dotted around they'll make it more homely. I'm getting my free ones done this week of Montys puppy Photos then they're going in cheap £1 frames from Ikea and hung on the Walls up the stairs. Bargain!

The other thing that always makes me feel more homely is plants for some reason!
Thank you another good idea i must get more plants and flowers
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2009, 11:39 AM
Candles are another good idea. Change the lighting to create new atmospheres, if they are scented then that will help too.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2009, 03:59 PM
We've been living here 23 YEARS and I still don't call it home, I call it 'our house' home to me was with my mum and dad......sounds daft doesn't it.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2009, 04:10 PM
I know EXACTLY how you feel. I think because of Woody we've had to change everything in the house abit more and it just doesn't feel like home/cosy to me anymore. Even my 4 foot Orchid isn't flowering for me ;o( and I HATE my garden (or lack of)!!

Plants is a very good idea though and another thing to try might be swapping the furniture around. Sometimes doing that can really make a difference to the "feel" of a room if you know what I mean.

If the rooms seem to big then lots of soft furnishings can help make it cosier (throws, cushions, rugs etc) you can get some really cheap ones these days from places like Sainsbury's, Asda, Tescos and Ikea.

Hope you feel better about it soon, it's not a nice feeling is it xx
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2009, 04:41 PM
Def get some piccies on the wall, a few flowers and plants are a must (watch what plants you get if the dogs can reach them though) and most of all enjoy what you have, some of us would give our right arm for a nice house
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2009, 05:18 PM
Thanks everyone!!

Think its also got to do with dont have as many friends here as did in our old house!! Billy no mates, lol!!

And of course i love my doggies but its hard to have a spotless house....and i am lucky if i can even get on the sofa let alone put a nice throw on it!!!

Thanks for all the replies tho, it really is appreciated x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >