Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SamanthaB
New Member!
Female 

17-02-2009, 10:57 PM

Campylobacter

We have just heard back from the vet that our 10 week old puppy has campylobacter after a recent test was carried out.
We have spoken to our vet and other vets and getting mixed messages as to how serious this is.
Is it somthing that after being treated never comes back or are we faced with a dog that is going to be ill and risk the rest of the family.
The last thing we want to do is think about re housing our puppy that all the family love so much but we have to look at the long term picture and dont know what to do and how serious this is.
Can anyone offer some advice?
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2009, 11:26 PM
http://www.provet.co.uk/health/disea...pylobacter.htm

Isn't it just food poisioning?
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2009, 11:28 PM
Here is another link I have found.
http://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/disea...acteriosis.htm
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2009, 11:36 PM
worry not, it's just nasty bacteria and will clear up soon with your vet's help I'm sure. A lady I know had the same with her pup recently after it had eaten a load of poo at the park, but a course of meds from the vet sorted her and she's fine now. Just observe normal hygeine practices and use disinfectant if she's sick etc. I'm sure she'll be fine!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-02-2009, 11:43 PM
Hi Samantha campylobacter is very common in dogs and can be quite severe in puppies. It can sometimes be confused with Parvo, the symptoms are similar and it seems to be quite prevalent at this time of year.

Once you puppy has been treated by the vet it should be fine. As the others say observe good hygiene practise like washing your hands after touching your puppy .
SamanthaB
New Member!
Female 

17-02-2009, 11:53 PM
Thanks for your replies - so nice to hear the vets to go on the over cautious side and really worried me
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 12:36 AM
Hi Samantha,

I doubt you ahve anytign to worry about. Observe good hygience for yourself, your family and your pup and it should clear up with appropriate treatment.

In humans it is usually brought on by food poisoning but has a long incubation period so you can never quite be sure where you pick it up from. It's easier to determine with dogs because we know where they are, what they're doing and (usually) what they've eaten.

It is very unpleasant and will make you rpup feel absolutely lousy. But if he's generally healthy at other times he should be fine.

Laura xx
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 08:04 AM
Hi Samantha !

Please don't worry. My Sammie had it last Autumn, he had very runny tummy and was losing weight, a course of anti-biotics cleared it up. He did though pass it onto my bitch, so she went through same treatment too. Like others have said, keep everything clean and hygenic and all will be fine. Both doglets now very happy and healthy, so no long term affects.

Lisa x
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 08:57 AM
Hi,
our puppy had it within a few days of bringing her home - She had 2 antibiotic jabs in a week & was on chicken & rice for about 5 days. I think she could have picked it up from the garden.
Our vets took it very seriously too & we were advised to keep a very close eye on her - she was drinking plenty & was fine within a week.
rosegallagher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 02:52 PM
kavik also had this as a pup, antibiotics & samples sorted it in the end but keep up with your handwashing , keep garden clear of faeces & it will soon clear, he hasn't had it since being young.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >