Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
olij01
New Member!
Male 

04-02-2009, 11:21 AM

My Dog can't walk

Hi, Im new here (joined about 3 minutes ago), and my dog Pebbles can't walk. She limps on one of her back legs but I cant tell which one it is. It started 2 days ago, I was walking her and I noticed her limping ever so slightly, then yesturday I found her shaking in her bed. She is 11-12 years old if I can remember. Im not going to walk her today as she cannot stand.
I'm wondering whether her time is up, she's not exactly miserable, she got excited when I came in and kisses me, but she seems as though she is in pain.
Im hoping it will just be a temporary ache, but If it continues I might have to put her to sleep.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 11:26 AM
What does your vet say? I`ve got 2 oldies (11 and 14) and they get Metacam and supplements which keep them active. Have you tried these?
olij01
New Member!
Male 

04-02-2009, 11:28 AM
we haven't seen the vet yet, however we really need to
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 11:30 AM
I don't think you'll need to be looking at having her PTS. Have you seen your vet??? Could it be a touch of arthritis or something like that, if so your vet can prescribe something. Hope you get it sorted.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 11:32 AM
I don't think you can even consider putting her to sleep until the Vet has checked her over. She may have pulled a ligament (as my Mum's dog did and she's 10). The Vet gave her an anti-inflammatory injection and some tablets to take and she was fine in a few days. Don't write her off yet please

Try to get her to the Vet as soon as possible and let us know how she goes, won't you.

Best of luck to you and your dog By the way, I have a Pebbles - she's a black and tan Chihuahua, what about your Pebbles, what breed/colour is she?

Welcome to Dogsey
olij01
New Member!
Male 

04-02-2009, 12:07 PM
Yeah, i wouldn't have her put to sleep unless the vet says so, but I've just seen her walking which is good. her limp is still there but not as worse as yesturday. So its better than i thought it was
I think she might have slipped on ice/snow while walking her and stretched her leg muscle.

"what breed/colour is she?" I'm not sure on her breed as she is a mongrel, and has little distinctive features which show her to a certain breed, aparently her mother was a large black dog such as a labrador, and she has a hint of Collie in her.

She is black, Brown and some Blonde areas
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 12:16 PM
it sounds to me like a strain but i think it would be good if the vet gave your doglet a once over. I would see the vet if it was me, there might be some pain which pain relef would be given to help hun. i would call the vet now as you have said it has been going on for a couple of days and the age of the dog as well, i would wont to now nothing bad happened. Hope it heels soon.
olij01
New Member!
Male 

04-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Excellent news, I thought that because pebbles was standing ok, I should maybe take her for a gentle walk, she walked very well indeed, I couln't honastly notice her limping, and she had her tail risen high and she was excited. I think it's mostly fatigue, because it often occurs after she's been sleeping/resting
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 01:46 PM
I'm glad Pebbles is feeling better, but I'd be tempted to still get her checked out by the vet. We had a Springer who got very sore in cold damp conditions or when he had been charging about in the snow. He had arthritis which can be controlled (up to a point) with medication.
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-02-2009, 01:58 PM
I too have an old dog who some evenings gets quite stiff. She has been worse recently because of the cold and wet weather and in fact walking on frozen snow is not really helping her at all. With her age she may have a touch of arthritis which the weather won't help, if she's walked on gritted areas she might also have an irritation in her pads.

Certainly wouldn't say it's a potential pts situation - particularly if she can weight bear on the limbs.

If you are worried enough to ask on line about a health problem then I would say about 99% of the time it should be looked at by a vet - people on a forum can make suggestions and tell you about their dogs and how they are but they cannot daignose, treat or anything else.

Please let us know how she gets on.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >