Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-11-2010, 10:16 PM

Absolutely gutted.

Things have been going so well.

This evening, we came back from ourwalk (in the car) , just getting dark. I opened the door and let the three dogs out. Locky was last one out. The other two were at the front door of the house, Locky was just at the path. Then he saw - and so did I, and saw him looking at - a lady walking her 3 Golden Retrievers (all on lead).

Off he goes towards them. I call him once, as I expected in such situations - he ignored me. I went over, the owner is getting frantic, Locky seems to be sniffing the back end of the dogs, tail wagging, still calm. I reach for him, have hold of him, but my hand slips off.

Then one of the dogs gives a small growl/ quiet bark, and he grabs hold of it by the neck. Other owner is now going frantic. I try to pull him off but he's holding on, shout his name and "leave", no reaction, so I punched him on his muzzle and he releases.

I'd put the other two "down", and that's where they'd remained.Owner is now going frantic at me (understandably) as she starts to cross the road. I said (as calmly and apologetically as I could) "wait there whilst I put them inside, then we'll check your dog."

She shouted something at me (I don't blame her), so I repeated myself more sternly - seemed to do the trick. I put the dogs inside and went to try and speak to her. She said the skin was broken, shouted something at me and left.

I went to my vet (my intention was to get her to take the dog in if neccessary and I'd pay) and described her, but she wasn't registered with them (but they did know who I was talking about and said her name was XXXXX). I tried the only other vet that's local but they didn't know her either.

I went home and and looked all the mr/mrs XXXXX in the directoryand started phoning - but no luck.

I then drove around the area where I suspected she lived asking if anyone knew her, and eventually found her house. I sat outside trying to pluck up the courage to knock, but backed out and went home.

I wrote my name and no' on a piece of paper and went back and knocked. Luckily, she was pleasant, we had a chat - her dog was fine (no broken skin), I think she could see how upset I was and she thanked me coming.

What particularly bothers me, is that this is the first time that he's gone over to a dog and actually fought/bitten - in the past he was always on lead when aggressive. I've spoken to some friends who have met him with their dogs, and they can't believe what's happened. I suppose that will be viewed as an escalation of some sort.

It's strange, that he's met so many dogs -male female, old/young, large/small, neutered/entire, and not had a problem, but suddenly this. The difference was that I introduced him calmly or both dogs were off lead. All I can think of is that the retriever reacted to it's owner panicking, which in turn caused Locky to become aggressive (which in no way excuses that it happened due to my carlessness).

So, a reminder not to be so lax. Keep him on lead between the car and the house. I'm wodering whether it's worth having another behavioural consultation, or, at nearly 12 years of age just be more vigilant.

Any advice/ideas welcomed.

Final word - he's still my boy, and is in no danger whatsoever of being given up on/rehomed, it's just not going to happen - he's here untill his time comes. I love him dearly, and can't express in words how upset I am that I puched him.

I'm really sorry mate.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

24-11-2010, 10:25 PM
My offer still stands, if you could call him off you would be able to avoid situations like this.

Btw he shows pretty good bite inhibition and probably reacted to being heemed in by three dogs one of which started growling at him.

Adam
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2010, 10:25 PM
It could have been you grabing his collar that made him bite.
My dog will be funny with other dogs if I hold his collar off lead will be okay on lead may bark. A few times when he has been a bit full on with other dogs I have held his collar to pull him away he had turned all growly and snappy. I have never had this from him before only thiese times.

Glad you sorted it with the owner.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2010, 10:28 PM
....... so basicly Locky 'gripped' and didnt break the skin after the retriever grumbled at him?

adrenaline makes these things seem so much worse than they are..it did sound like he was being sociable until he was grumbled at.and the other owner doesnt sound like she helped the situation(understandably i suppose)

aye... more vigilant ie lead from car to house.. imo it was no real biggie....infact it could of been a hellava lot worse...look on the bright side
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2010, 10:28 PM
If only their were more owners like you.
Your dog will have already forgiven you - just check that you didnt hit him too hard, all people do things in desparation, so dont feel too bad about it.

But how sweet are you trying to find the owner and work it out with her - more people should be like you
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2010, 10:29 PM
ok i in no way advocate the punching of him, but under the circumstances, you did the best you could to rectify the situation and i honestly think that if this happened to me (although ty's not aggressive at all, but never say never) i would have done something similar, you did everything you could to make sure the retriever was ok and the owner.

i think id just be more careful about getting him in and out of the car, but if you think a behaviourist can help, then do so.

i know i'v not been much help, but i do wish you luck in the future with him
Bandi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-11-2010, 10:30 PM
Poor you. You feel really bad but I think It just seems to be one of those things. You will be much more aware now of getting him out of the car and making sure he's on the lead etc. I think You went out of your way to do the right thing in the way of making sure the other dog was ok, much more than alot of owners would. Good for you. You must love your old boy loads, maybe it was just a grumpy old man moment.( the dog not you!) Look after him and try not to beat yourself up.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2010, 10:39 PM
I'd have done more than punch him! I admire your restraint.

Lesson learned re lead and house and it won't happen again.

Well done on going to see the other owner, lots wouldn't have done.

Don't beat yourself up, accidents do happen.

rune
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-11-2010, 10:41 PM
I'm halfway through "The complete idiot's guide". Just read the "say No to No" section (I'm not convinced, but I'm willing to give it a go. Took about 15 min to give him his breakfast this morning, we've gone right back to basics - priming the clicker, eye contact, name. And then I go and do that. I'm so dissapointed (with myself - not him).
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-11-2010, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
....... so basicly Locky 'gripped' and didnt break the skin after the retriever grumbled at him?

adrenaline makes these things seem so much worse than they are..it did sound like he was being sociable until he was grumbled at.and the other owner doesnt sound like she helped the situation(understandably i suppose)

aye... more vigilant ie lead from car to house.. imo it was no real biggie....infact it could of been a hellava lot worse...look on the bright side
What you say makes sense, maybe I'm expecting too much of a dog that was 9 when he came to us. You're right though, if he wanted to cause serious harm he could have - he was definitely as you say "gripping" (it was there in front of me).

Thanks.

Michael
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >