register for free

Dog News

Two more shows may review their policies on docked dogs

...has received 11 comments (page 2)
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-04-2014, 07:32 PM
As it stands right now we know that working dogs, with the correct paperwork can be docked, but not shown. Show breeders don't dock because they can't show otherwise.
That's not strictly true, legally docked dogs (after 07) can be shown at any KC show that the public do not pay entry fees.

This campaign is not about getting the docking ban reversed, it's about allowing those dogs that have been legally docked to be shown at ALL KC shows.

It will not encourage others to dock as there is a procedure in place about the criteria involving legally docking.

I think in the show calendar there are only a couple of shows where this ban is in place, it's denying dogs that have been docked the opportunity to take part in one of the biggest shows in the world, (crufts) all because the public pay to go in .. It has nothing to do with them being docked.

Someone somewhere thought that having dogs that were docked after 07 would offend some members of the public, forgetting that dogs that were docked before 07 would be there....if someone is offended they are offended regardless of when the dog is docked.

The point of this is....you can have a dog that is duel purpose , and has been docked, said dog is a good example of its breed, is a good working dog and conforms to breed standard, so also does well in the ring, said dog could gain it's show championship and it's working championship making it a champion....this dog is " fit for propose " I.E a fit healthy dog...yet for some ridiculous ruling, it can't show off its " fit for purpose at the mist prestigious dog show in the world.

It's not about docking, it's about legally docked dogs championing their breed.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-04-2014, 07:37 PM
Like, I'm just not sure where the line would be drawn. Or what
Like, I'm just not sure where the line would be drawn. Or what would be stopping all breeders who prefer that look, but have otherwise up to now being prevented from docking, choose to dock again once showing is open to legally docked dogs?
Dogloverlou
The thing that would be stopping them is the thing that stops them now, they don't fit the criteria for docking working dogs.

It's 7 years since the ban was set, and most people simply now except the look of these breeds, I know plenty of gun dog folk, and most would not be bothered to go down the route of applying for a working licence simply to dock their pups, the amount of duel purpose dogs are a minority it's not going to change.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top