Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Emrad View Post
So since you are getting frustrated obviously (with the made that clear) I am guessing you think by spaying or neutering is going to create issues that are negative. If you would humour me and please explain it in a bit more detail, I read about Gabe and your concerns, but on a whole I do not understand (besides Gabes issues) what you think neutering/ spaying is going to do to dogs if this occurs.
Yes - I am getting frustrated - puberty is a major part of growing up for all animals, allowing the hormones to balance out and settle down. To whip out the organs that allow this can be detrimental to a dog IMO.

Many dogs (speaking male here not female), who are not entirely confident as youngsters can gain confidence through the production testosterone.
This helps to turn them into secure confident dogs, vets will advise neutering as a matter of course these days, sometimes without that testosterone boost the dog remains very timid, sometimes fear aggressive, I cannot tell if leaving the dog entire would have made a difference to the dog, but I have seen a few nervous dog s who have hit 7-8 months and become happy confident outward going adults. It has been a major change and one that is based on the chemicals you are removing by having this op done. There are many dogs who can be neutered and it will not affect them and some (like my other boy) who is affects in a positive way (well, it stopped him feeling he could take on the world). Which is fine - in hindsight I can also see that this could have been achieved through training - but I was quite young and Mum thought it was for the best.

Originally Posted by Emrad View Post
I would be suspecting with no testicles it would be hard to reproduce so I would be shocked if my boys sired a litter. If by some chance that did happen I would suspect the vet would have a lot of explaining to do and be liable for this fact. It does not change the outcome but by neutering my boys I am ensuring the best I can no bitch is getting impregnated by them.
Yes - you are ensuring the best way you can....as am I - I have trained my dog to the highest level I can, I have worked him around bitches in season and taught him to ignore them. (We also do this in my training classes)
Also taking into account my individual dogs needs - which is how I feel every dog should be considered.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
It is all anecdotal really. Not sure what walking off lead has to do with confidence? or even doing agility?

I still don't buy that a confidence dog that is so laid back and afraid of nothing is suddenly going to turn into a nervous wreak because it is neutered, but that is just my opinion.
Exactly - you have to go on your own experience - before I had Gabe - I would never have considered keeping a dog entire. I have learnt a lot from having him....

I would now certainly take on a case by case basis and never suggest that every male dog should be neutered.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 06:51 PM
It is all anecdotal really. Not sure what walking off lead has to do with confidence? or even doing agility?

I still don't buy that a confidence dog that is so laid back and afraid of nothing is suddenly going to turn into a nervous wreak because it is neutered, but that is just my opinion.
As long as it is clear that it is an opinion thats fine.

My opinion would have been the same until I saw what could happen.

Any experiences are anecdotal---yours and mine both.

rune
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
I'll answer that Lozzi...show dogs should have two normal descended testicles so you will be penalised for showing a dog without them, unless you have permission from the Kennel Club to show a neutered dog. As I mentioned in my post, it isn't supposed to make a difference to the judge but it is quite rare that a dog without testicles will be placed over a dog of equal merit that has his testicles. Therefore, those of us who own show dogs tend not to have them neutered except for medical reasons but still let them off lead for exercise. Hope this helps
im still not sure what the relevance is… why should a show dog be treated differently to a pet dog? I understand about them having to be entire, I know that but I don’t get what difference that makes at all.

Originally Posted by spot View Post
Just as a matter of interest would anyone own up on here if they had had an accidental mating?
I know I will never be in that situation, but no if I was in that situation, I would not own up on here. and why? coz I know how some members can be on here, and it would be like throwing myself to the lions. Coz of course, it is only irresponsible owners it can happen to
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
As long as it is clear that it is an opinion thats fine.

My opinion would have been the same until I saw what could happen.

Any experiences are anecdotal---yours and mine both.

rune
Indeed.

Also worth pointing out on this topic is that some people forget about the line between early (pre-pubescent) and late (post-pubescent) spaying and neutering. Big difference between the two in terms of health benefits and possibly behavioural benefits/downsides. I would never neuter early or spay a bitch before her first season.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
im still not sure what the relevance is… why should a show dog be treated differently to a pet dog? I understand about them having to be entire, I know that but I don’t get what difference that makes at all.

I know I will never be in that situation, but no if I was in that situation, I would not own up on here. and why? coz I know how some members can be on here, and it would be like throwing myself to the lions. Coz of course, it is only irresponsible owners it can happen to
Hmm...I think it is a BIT much saying that all entire dogs should never be let off the lead, Lozzi. I'm guessing you let Jake off the lead when he was entire, prior to getting neutered.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
lozzi hun, I show and breed my dogs, I dont see why my dogs should lead some sort of second class life because of that, being confined to a lead all the time,

I do know how my dogs will behave round in season bitches, I have two bitches that come into season twice a year,
you do also get some bitches at shows, that are just coming in/out or in season {they shouldnt be there but they are,} so I know how my dogs will behave round bitches they dont live with,
I cant think of any bitch I have met on a walk thats in season,
my dogs dont have a good recall most of the time, they have 110% recall all of the time,
to add to that, I dont let my dogs run up to strange dogs in the park {yes believe it or not they come back to me when they see another dog}
so the chance of them stumbling over an in season bitch while off lead is highly unlikely,.

and lets be honest, owners of bitches should be taking some responsibility as well.

I think your hearts in the right place, but you dont think things through very well.

you base your views on what you see in your own dogs? remember some dogs are far more responsive to commands than jake is to yours at the moment.
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
yes Lozzi,you are entitled to your opinion,as are we all
i am offended that you think,just because my dogs are not castrated that i think dogs in rescue kennels is ok!!
do you think when every dog 'gets a whiff' of a bitch in season it turns into a sex crazed rapist? then manages to mate the said dog?
i feel you have alot to learn in living with dogs,i feel you are using your lack of 'recall' and understanding of bodylanguage with jake to base your answers on.
I do not see what jake has to do with this! and I find it extremely hurtful that it is getting brought up! My old boy, sam, was an amazingly obedient and would recall immediately. He was neutered, but even if he wasn’t I still wouldn’t trust him offlead around females coz I could never guarantee 100% that he would recall with an in season bitch around, and IMO no one can!

Originally Posted by rune View Post
I think for Lozzie the best thing was to neuter -----if you haven't got a recall with a neutered dog you have no chance of one with an entire dog!

Please don't think that because you can't do it no one else can!

rune
how rude! Don’t tell me what I can and cannot do! jake is 10 months old, he is young and excitable, and it is something I am working on! but we WILL get there! whether he is neutered or not! and no owner can know 100% that their dog will come back in every situation.

Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Totally agree - the responsibility lies with the bitch owner. When my girl is in season she is stuck to me like glue 24/7. If she got mated accidentally it would be MY fault, no one elses. If my boy tied with a bitch whilst out on a walk it would be the bitch owner's fault.

Anyway that's all hypothetical, as I walk my dogs where we are unlikely to bump into anyone at all.
So 100% responsibility is in the hands of the bitchs owner? The entire males dog owner hold no responsibility? I totally disagree, it takes two to tango!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post

lol, its not like that at all, I have had to have two bitches jagged out when they were caught by my dogs, Its no big secret on here, its been posted about,
no one gave me a hard time about it, a lot has to do with what you do about mistakes when they happen, do the right thing and no ones going to condem you for that,
or at least thats my experiance of this forum.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Hmm...I think it is a BIT much saying that all entire dogs should never be let off the lead, Lozzi. I'm guessing you let Jake off the lead when he was entire, prior to getting neutered.
yes he was allowed offlead, but i am one of those terrible owners who neutered early.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
lol, its not like that at all, I have had to have two bitches jagged out when they were caught by my dogs, Its no big secret on here, its been posted about,
no one gave me a hard time about it, a lot has to do with what you do about mistakes when they happen, do the right thing and no ones going to condem you for that,
or at least thats my experiance of this forum.
so you must know that no matter how responsible a dog owner you are, that it can still happen.

and my experience is different, as much as i love dogsey.
Page 12 of 33 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 > Last »