Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Now that I find offensive! You think those of us who do neuter/spey wouldnt care if our dogs died?

Just as a matter of interest would anyone own up on here if they had had an accidental mating?
I find that offensive too. How can you say that because I think it is necessary to get my dog neutered/spayed I would not be devastated if my dog died under anaesthetic for what you deem unnecessary?? Do you deem teeth cleaning for dogs is unnecessary??

I would own up to an accidental mating and would write it on here, those who don't have neutered/spayed pets (mine is by proxy - OH's dog) if you have an entire animal there is always a chance of accidental mating, no matter how small it may be for some.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
and how do you achieve that? that they will never get the chance.

so what if one day, they meet a female who was in season and at the right time in her season that one of them showed a particular interest and nothing brought them back??? Im sorry, but no one can guarantee how interested a dog will every time they meet an in season female, and even if they have the best recall in the world, testosterone could easily over ride that. I feel so strongly about this, I got my jake from the SSPCA as a 7 week old pup. He was as result of an accidental litter, stuck in a teeny concrete kennel with his littermates. Im sorry but that is not what I want for more dogs, especially when you can walk around the kennels and see so many dogs desperately in need homes, but there just aren’t enough available. I think the responsible thing to do, is make sure 100% your dog cannot add to that, and to me that is by keeping them on lead cause you cannot predict the behaviour all the time. that is my opinion and I am entitled to it!

no, im not. and i think no one can guarantee how a dog will react every time they meet an in season bitch.

Good post, I am also amazed at the number of people who can have such excellent control over their dogs, that they can guarantee that they will never cause an accidental litter.

not in public, no. if they have a secure place where no females will be, then yes but not in a public place. and why are show dogs being brought into this? What difference does it make if it is a show dog or a pet dog?
yes Lozzi,you are entitled to your opinion,as are we all
i am offended that you think,just because my dogs are not castrated that i think dogs in rescue kennels is ok!!
do you think when every dog 'gets a whiff' of a bitch in season it turns into a sex crazed rapist? then manages to mate the said dog?
i feel you have alot to learn in living with dogs,i feel you are using your lack of 'recall' and understanding of bodylanguage with jake to base your answers on.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
yes Lozzi,you are entitled to your opinion,as are we all
i am offended that you think,just because my dogs are not castrated that i think dogs in rescue kennels is ok!!
do you think when every dog 'gets a whiff' of a bitch in season it turns into a sex crazed rapist? then manages to mate the said dog?
i feel you have alot to learn in living with dogs,i feel you are using your lack of 'recall' and understanding of bodylanguage with jake to base your answers on.
I have to confess that judging purely on our family dog growing up, that is exactly what I thought because he was exactly like this - he could smell a bitch a mile off and he only had one thing on his mind. I really wish we'd had him neutered but funnily enough in those days the vets (or at least our vets) were dead against neutering of males because they felt that they lost their love of life and became apathetic couch potatoes.

Its only been in recent years that I have come to realise that Max was not 'the norm' in respect of entire males
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 09:48 AM
there is risk in everything, how would feel if my dogs died under GA for what some people consider an operation of convenience, of course i would be devastated as most everyone on here would be, But by the same token i would be devastated if i hadn't and a dog or bitch of mine neutered and they developed health problems in later life because they didn't have a routine operation when they were in their prime. (we have seen a few older dogs coming in to rescue lately who haven't been castrated who have prostrate problems)

I think what i'm trying to say is live and let live there is risk in everything, its how we weigh up that risk that matters.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 10:05 AM
Just wanted to add, i have seen 100's of dogs through rescue that have been neutered with the hardest bit being keeping them quite after, i have also seen my fair share of older dogs come through that have not been spayed having to have major surgery to remove the resultant mammory tumors.

This is the latest Amy came to us at an estimated age of 7 last year not been spayed, intially had two lumps removed then, but they came back has now had to have a full Mammary strip, the wound is from her groin to under her front leg

This is major surgery for a dog of her age, personally i would rather take the risk of a GA with a young fit dog, than an elderly one having to be put through that
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Now that I find offensive! You think those of us who do neuter/spey wouldnt care if our dogs died?

Just as a matter of interest would anyone own up on here if they had had an accidental mating?
I'll own up...several years ago when Remy (English Setter) was only about 2 years old my Irish setter mated her. I had kept the boys and the girls seperated, she was on day 31 of her season and I was out in the garden pottering about with her. Suddenly there was an almighty crash and my Irish lad had broken through the wood at the bottom of the door leading out to the garden, then jumped over the 4 foot wrought iron fence that was between the patio and the garden, whilst I was still gobsmacked and trying to work out what had happened they had tied, it must have happened within about 5 seconds of hearing the noise Needless to say, I phoned the vets immediately, we had to wait for 24 hours then she had to go for a couple of injections over a couple of days. Her seasons were never the same after that and I had to have her spayed.

I have no excuse other than the precautions I had taken simply weren't adequate. I had owned mixed sexes for over 25 years and that was the only accidental mating I had, I will always own up to it because it happened and I wouldn't lie about it if anyone asked me.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 10:38 AM
I had an entire male for years (unknowingly!). I managed fine except for knowing when an in season bitch was at an agility show---it happens often at week long shows. Not a problem.

He ran fine regardless of bitches being around.

My friend has several entire male collies living in her group of agility dogs. Again not a problem--she also has entire bitches and they are all house dogs.

They are however, trained and obedient.

Which is the difference.

I think for Lozzie the best thing was to neuter -----if you haven't got a recall with a neutered dog you have no chance of one with an entire dog!

Please don't think that because you can't do it no one else can!

rune
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
So if your dog died under anaesthetic during an operation that wasn't necessary you'd be ok with that?
I am not sure where the idea of neutering being 'unnecessary' comes from.

I personally think it is BS when people claim that they know how their dogs are going to react in every situation, and that their entire male is never going to so much as look at an in season bitch in it's whole life. A dog is an animal at the end of the day and having not even the slightest inclination to procreate, when it has hormones raging, isn't realistic. I think some people set unrealistic goals of perfection when it comes to the ability to control their dog and guess what...it backfires sometimes. Didn't a member on here a couple of months ago have two intact German Shepherds that mated and had a litter? I'm sure that was a member who preached that she would never get her male dog neutered, and that she was responsible and would never give them the chance to mate. Of course, in the end the inevitable happened and another litter of unwanted puppies entered the world.

The reality is that most people don't have the magical training abilities to be able to over-ride a dogs natural instincts. When my current Lab was a youngster and intact, I watched him shoot off like a rocket (I was also walking another young entire male at the same time) ...something he NEVER did. I found him and the other dog I was walking a couple of minutes later salivating over a fool that had taken out a Golden Retriever bitch that was in her prime days of her season (she was standing for them). I am not exactly about to risk my dog getting hit by car just to keep his bollocks on...and thank goodness most pet owners feel the same!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I am not sure where the idea of neutering being 'unnecessary' comes from.

I personally think it is BS when people claim that they know how their dogs are going to react in every situation, and that their entire male is never going to so much as look at an in season bitch in it's whole life. A dog is an animal at the end of the day and having not even the slightest inclination to procreate, when it has hormones raging, isn't realistic. I think some people set unrealistic goals of perfection when it comes to the ability to control their dog and guess what...it backfires sometimes. Didn't a member on here a couple of months ago have two intact German Shepherds that mated and had a litter? I'm sure that was a member who preached that she would never get her male dog neutered, and that she was responsible and would never give them the chance to mate. Of course, in the end the inevitable happened and another litter of unwanted puppies entered the world.

The reality is that most people don't have the magical training abilities to be able to over-ride a dogs natural instincts. When my current Lab was a youngster and intact, I watched him shoot off like a rocket (I was also walking another young entire male at the same time) ...something he NEVER did. I found him and the other dog I was walking a couple of minutes later salivating over a fool that had taken out a Golden Retriever bitch that was in her prime days of her season (she was standing for them). I am not exactly about to risk my dog getting hit by car just to keep his bollocks on...and thank goodness most pet owners feel the same!
no one can neutered or not!!!... so why not keep all dogs on leads then??

eta.. wasnt the gsd owners dogs being looked after by her mum?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
no one can neutered or not!!!... so why not keep all dogs on leads then??

eta.. wasnt the gsd owners dogs being looked after by her mum?
The different being that neutered dogs ain't gonna make babies and add more unwanted dogs to the world.
Page 8 of 33 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 > Last »