register for free

Dog News

McDonald's pulls ad which compares eating Chicken McBite to petting a stray pit bull

Following a huge number of complaints from dog owners, McDonald's has pulled a radio ad which said eating a Chicken McBite was less risky than petting a stray pit bull. A campaign against the ad, which only ran for a few days before complaints began, was mounted on social media sites and an apology was received in the same way and via a toll-free number.

The ad ran in the Kansas City area and compared the risk of eating the product to petting a stray pit bull, shaving your head, naming your son Sue or giving out your social networking password. Pit bull owners and supporters were outraged. Rachele Lizarraga, social media coordinator for a pit bull rescue started an on-line campaign and petition against the ad. “I found it extremely offensive and reckless,” she said.

By way of an apology, the company stated the ad was “insensitive in its mention of pit bulls”, said it would do a “better job next time” and that it never intended to offend anyone.

Opinion is split over whether the apology was enough, with some calling for a donation to pit bull organisations and an ad featuring a pit bull. Others, including Rachele Lizarraga, are satisfied with the apology. “It was stupid marketing, playing into the media hysteria about pit bulls,” she said. Pit bulls have long been the target of Breed Specific Legislation and banned in some cities.

Stephanie Filer, communications manager for the Animal Rescue League of Iowa and a member of ARL Pit Crew Club had posted a picture of a box of McDonald's Chicken McNuggets and a pit bull laying on its back, alongside the caption: “Which is safer? Eating this? Petting this?”. However, she said she appreciated McDonald's quick response to their customers.

Laura Goldman, a social media writer and rescuer of two pit bulls, called the ad “stupid” and said it insinuated eating McDonald's food is risky. “I would rather pet a million stray pit bulls than eat one pink slimy Chicken McBite,” she said.

Writer Robert Pregulman questioned why the company had to “vilify pit bulls” to “combat the perception that their Chicken McNuggets contained unsafe ingredients”.

A video against the ad can be watched here, together with the sound from the ad:

Your comments and views:
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2012, 10:49 AM
I'd rather have Pitbull snuggles than eat McD's food.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

07-02-2012, 11:30 AM
I have to be very close to death from starvation to enter a McDonalds (Yes, I'll admit to having been in one or two in my lifetime) and this was a stupid bit of marketing but then again much of the advertising world is made up of people who live in cloud cuckoo land, if you get my drift
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2012, 11:53 AM
There has been a big campaign about this on social network sites. I particularly like this response:

Azz
Administrator
Male 

07-02-2012, 05:22 PM
What a cheek! Do they think the public is stupid? There's really no risk from eating junk food is there
And in a way I'm glad - because I bet they've alienated a large number of their customers (who probably own Pit Bulls) ...hopefully they'll choose something a little healthier in future
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-02-2012, 09:08 AM
How irresponsible! Like Azz says, they would have alienated some customers through this. I don’t like maccies anyway.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2012, 09:58 AM
Stupid ad from a company that sells junk food that is probably responsible for a good many of those in the US who are now suffering from obesity as the biggest health threat.

Wonder how much the numbskull who came up with this gets paid?

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top