register for free

Dog News

Leeds City Council considering tighter restrictions on dog walking

Following a public consultation process, Leeds City Council looks set to put new proposals into practice, resulting in tighter restrictions on dog walking. Controls were put into place earlier this year, banning dogs from some parks. A report compiled by the Director of Environment and Neighbourhoods recommends, in addition to current controls, the following orders:

- Dogs be banned from school grounds if the schools wish an order, and the ban extended to remembrance and wildlife gardens

- Owners forced to keep dogs on leads on roads and adjacent footpaths and grass verges, and in cemeteries and crematoria

- A limit of no more than four dogs walked at the same time by one person. Exception - five or six dogs may be walked by “professional and responsible dog walking businesses” as long as the dogs remain under the full control of the walker

Fines of up to £1000 on conviction for breach of orders are in place; however to avoid prosecution, offenders can choose a fixed-penalty charge of £75, discounted to £50 for early payment.

The report and its recommendations will be considered when the Executive Board meet on 14 December 2011.

The report (agenda item 6) can be viewed via the following link:
http://democracy.leeds.gov.uk/mgConv...x?ID=5233&T=10

Your comments and views:
Azz
Administrator
Male 

09-12-2011, 03:43 PM
I thought we were meant to be a nation of dog lovers! We pay council tax too!!
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-12-2011, 04:39 PM
Hmmm

an interesting one - cause I would LOVE there to be a law about having your dog on lead on roads/pavements around here.

Banning dogs from the schools is debatable - my mums school welcomes them but the infant school has banned them (because of one guy who never put his american bulldog on the lead!)

I like the capped amount of dogs to be walked at one time, not for people who own their own dogs but for dog walkers, 4 is my limit but i frequently see a couple of other companies who take 8+ dogs out and they just cant control them
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2011, 04:46 PM
It all makes sense to me I'm afraid. If you read it properly, it's only if the schools ASK for it to be enforced, and if they think it's getting out of hand with too many dogs assembling at the school gate, then good on them I say.

Who in their right mind would want to walk a dog offlead along a roadside, so that one's good too, it protects the poor dogs imo!

I'm all for the number restrictions too. Our own council has just introduced this with a limit of 6 dogs, which pleases me immensely, because living where I do, an area of outstanding natural beauty, there are more dog walkers with 12 dogs doing the rounds than there are owners with 1 or 3 dogs and the havoc one of them causes has got right up our noses! Bring it ONNNNN I say!!!
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2011, 05:22 PM
There is a law about dogs on leads by roads everywhere.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2011, 06:27 PM
I agree with the ban on dogs on school premises.Ours has had this ban for ages.The dogs are not allowed in the playground which is right,there are a lot of little children running around and I think it is best for the dogs to be at the school gates away from all those unpredictable little hands.It also ensures that no dogs toilet in the areas where the children are playing.Our school does allow puppies in arms into the playground and they also do an education lesson about the needs of a dog where a local vet nurse brings her dog in.....
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2011, 07:21 PM
I am surprised that dogs are allowed in graveyards and cemeteries as they aren't in Norwich.

I guess that a restriction on the number of dogs walked is wise but round here there is a lady who has 10 dogs of her own (I thought she was a dog walker but was told by someone they are all her own and rescues) and they are better behaved than a lot of owners walking solitary dogs. I was impressed when I saw her in the woods when I was coming along on a side path as she commanded all her dogs to wait whilst we waked past and they all stood there not moving an inch! (and one was an EBT!!). I can't see how you can watch that many bottoms at once though to put it plainly!).
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2011, 07:35 PM
I think its mean that dogs are barred from some parks, they could at least keep a small section for them or have a leash law, better than walking along a road

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top