register for free

Dog News

Broader collies and flabradors

A surge in obesity among dogs is being blamed on rules limiting where they can run off the lead.

Half of Britain's eight million dogs are now classified as overweight - a dramatic leap from just 35 per cent of the nation's canine population in 2010.

Experts believe a growing restriction on dogs exercising in public spaces is the cause, along with owners allowing their pets to overfeed.

Councils have made increasing use of the Dog Control Orders introduced in 26 to stop dogs being let off the lead in public areas.
Full article and photographs here...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...crackdown.html

But if a dog has nowhere to exercise off lead, what are owners supposed to do?

Your comments and views:
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2014, 12:49 PM
Play ball with the dog as many disableds do, myself included. There are always ways.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2014, 02:55 PM
Flabradors I have one myself! He has as much off lead time as he likes each and every day... he just eats too much and as an early neuter is prone to weight gain.

BTW, my Jade would not chase a ball if it was soaked in bacon grease. And if it was and she would, it would defeat the purpose! She has no where she can be off lead anyway, so it wouldn't even work.

She is not over weight, but if she was... there would only be so much I could do for her. Extra walks (that kick my butt) and less food would have to do.
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-08-2014, 10:38 AM
Even not having a big garden doesn't mean you can't play games, it doesn't need to be physical exercise, even mental stimulation will help keep them healthy.
Kong wobblers are a godsend!
Megsy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-08-2014, 02:51 PM
Trailhounds don't play with balls or toys. I think it's part of their training to discourage them from chasing other animals. It works in that they don't chase sheep, cats etc, however, all they do is sleep, run, eat, run, cuddle and sometimes run.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2014, 02:59 PM
You're right Holly, but you have not met my Jade. Jade is an older dog, and she really does not like exercise. She is anti social (hates everyone and everything), easily frightened, and she prefers to stay at home and snuggle with her humans.

She will sometimes gnaw a bone (usually she just walks away from it), and she really is not very food motivated... and not even remotely toy motivated. She tends to be scared of them rather than engage them. I have tried rawhides, antlers, kongs... you name it.

I can jog her about the yard and take her for short walks, but she is old (11 1/2) and if it's too long... she'll come back with a mild leg favor/limp and be very fatigued... so we take it easy. She is not fat, but if she was.. it would really be hard for me to take it off.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top