register for free

Dog News

Dog who doesn't like other dogs involved in incident after being left tied up outside

A dog described as not liking other dogs by its owner was left tied up to a fence in an area where there were other dogs around while the owner went shopping. The dog, believed to be a Staffordshire bull terrier cross, then became involved in an incident leading to injuries to another dog and the mother of a two-year-old child.

Ms Shelley said that her daughter, Violet, was petting Dylan, an 11-year-old golden retriever, when she spotted the other dog and approached it. At that point, the owner, a young woman, appeared from a supermarket and Ms Shelley asked if her daughter could pet the dog. The owner reportedly told her that her dog was completely safe with children but did not like other dogs.

Speaking to a newspaper, Ms Shelley said: “When Violet leant in the whole demeanour of the dog changed. It was growling and it had its hackles up. Dylan got between us and put his body between the dog and my little girl.”

The dog is then reported to have “lunged towards the family”, catching Dylan and Ms Shelley's hands in his mouth, and knocking down Dylan's 63-year-old owner, Mr Palmer. Ms Shelley said she managed to prise the dog's mouth open with her other hand and the owner “fled with the dog”.

Dylan is being treated at Wood Street Veterinary Hospital in High Barnet after suffering nerve damage to his shoulder. His owner, referring to Dylan as a “gentle giant”, is grateful to Ms Shelley for freeing him. “Everybody loves him,” he said. “He's just so friendly and trusting.” He said the other owner should have had her dog muzzled and hoped she would come forward.

Ms Shelley said Dylan may have saved her daughter's life by coming between her and the dog.

The incident took place at 6pm on Mays lane, High Barnet, and a police spokesman said it is following active leads. Anyone with any information should contact investigating officer, PC Chris Shaw on 101 quoting crime reference number 2403030-12 or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Your comments and views:
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 06:56 PM
That brought a lump to my throat......well done to Dylan xxxx hope he is on the mend xx
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 07:11 PM
The poor dog. But the story dosent make much sense to me
The dog was tied to a fence when the child went to pat it
The family were told the dog dosent like other dogs yet the child was close enough to pat when their dog got inbetween her and the other dog - so they had their dog that close?
Of course the other owner is at fault with that - if she knew her dog didnt like other dogs then she should have been mroe forcefull and told the family to keep their dog away, if not to keep the child away if the dog was wound up with another dog being there

Its all very well for the news to report it as 'another staffy type attack'
But how about from the other side - if your child is appraoching a tied up dog and the dog shows agression then the child should back off
If someone tells you their tied up dog is dog agressive then dont let your dog approach - espesh if your child is close to the dog

but of course the woman shouldnt have scarpered
STGSD
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Hmmm, now this sounds to me more like the staff type dog's owner told family the dog didn't like other dogs, yet the family let the Golden Retriever too close anyway and got caught up in the incident. I could be wrong but I bet that it is worded in a way that blames the staffy type dogs again Not a nice thing to happen at all, and probably could have been avoided. I have two dogs who don't particularly like being approached by other strange dogs, but you can tell some owners till your blue in the face and they will still approach.
It's for the safety of dog and owner at the end of the day, and this poor chap has suffered a nasty wound.
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 07:57 PM
Regardless of exactly what happened, the staffie x should never have been tied up outside anywhere if he was known to be aggressive in any way, and it was gutless in the extreme for his owner to then scarper after what happened.
I know there is a lot of unfair anti-staffie feeling out there but in this instance an elderly dog was attacked and a woman was bitten. Let's not make excuses.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 08:06 PM
From how I read it, the owner was present so it makes no difference whether the dog was tied up or not apart from not physically having her hand on the lead. It seems to me it could have happened regardless, and the presence of the other dog was the trigger. I too know how people with other dogs often do not listen, but in my case I remove my dog, and would not allow a stranger to pet him/her if other dogs were nearby, knowing the possibilty s/he may kick off. Redirected aggression in these circumstances is pretty common with some dogs and sounds like the case here.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Poor dog. Whatever the excuses this dog should not have been left unattended outside if it was not sociable with other dogs. No excuses in my opinion. The owner is not taking any responsibility with not staying and paying the bill for the other dog's injuries.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 08:29 PM
Yet another example of how "common sense" is not that common.

Yet another example of dogs suffering due to the negligence of their owners.

Yet another example of not allowing the facts to get in the way of a "good story" I strongly suspect.

Hey ho.

And so it continues..........

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top