View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 02:34 PM
I like to think of each animal as an individual, rather that just "one of many" and so have no problem with people rescuing, rehabilitating, giving medical treatment to, and then releasing wild animals of any sort.

It breaks my heart to hear of dogs living in rescue kennels for year upon year waiting for the right home - but I do believe that each dog deserves as much chance as the next at getting a new and loving home.

Unfortunately all rescues are getting to crisis point, due to the over-breeding and then abandonment of dogs and now many individuals are having to be put to sleep, that would once upon a time have found a new home. Very, very sad. I have no answers.

However, as I said initially, I think if an animal can be rescued and rehomed or released then all well and good as far as I am concerned.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
It is a minefield.

I am a member of a couple of poultry forums, and the sheer number of FTGH cockerels, and older (and non laying) hens is madness.
I don't know if you are on the same board as me but I have posted FTG cockerels before but only because I thought they were too good to cull but with no interest, I have done for the pot.

There is also a member who is very much pro "if you hatch, you should be prepared to cull". It can be a contentious issue sometimes.

Heeln
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 02:45 PM
I am on HFW's one, and the one that has a magazine!

I suppose the ones that are good enough to breed with, fair enough...but those of lesser quality...eating them is probably the best for them
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 04:34 PM
I think you just do what you can, and you can`t make blanket rules. There is so much need out there. Even if people only do a tiny thing - pass on details, put a pound in a tin or a tin of food in a trolley - it all helps.

Azz
Administrator
Male 

15-02-2012, 06:18 PM
I don't think it's to make 'us' feel better.

I think it's because we have a moral duty to look after this planet and _all_ its inhabitants.

I wish I was in a position to do more. And I wish I could do more to make others realise this very important point.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
A discussion on another forum (same title), and got me thinking the same.

How far should we actually take "rescuing" animals? Should dogs sit in kennels for years waiting for the "perfect" home, should injured Ducks, be nursed back to health and then re released, or simply put out of its misery, should one "rehome" cockerels FTGH or put them in the pot as we used to?

Do we as humans, keep animals alive in order to make our selves feel better?

Yup I certainly think this in many cases I don't think most people do it just out of a kind heart.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 04:12 PM
I doubt if our motives matter that much to the rescued animal.
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 06:45 PM
I think it can go too far and the money spent on 'rescueing' some animals could be far better spent. I don't believe it is always in the best interests of each individual animal.

I spent an obscene amount of money on trying to save a(pet) baby rabbit that the dogs had grabbed. I took it to the vet to ask them to pts and they convinced me they had a fighting chance of saving it. Several days later the inevitable happened and the poor thing had to be put out of its misery. I feel guilty for letting the vet talk me out of doing it initially and it continuing to suffer unnecessarily.

The OH was not pleased and said if I couldn't dispatch it myself then I should not have stopped the dogs from finishing the job!
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 11:43 PM
I personally rescue animals (Wildlife and all) because I don't think any living thing deserves to suffer - whether that means taking an injured animal to the local wildlife centre, paying for a wild animal to be put down or getting a rescue. If I see an injured animal out when I'm driving, I take it in and do what's necessary. I've been known to take injured animals to the vets to be put down or sent to the local wildlife centre if necessary. Just because there are many of a certain species doesn't mean that we can't save one or two along the way.

I do think you have to evaluate what is in the best interests of the animal though. I was always taught that having compassion for animals meant doing the hard thing sometimes - whether that meant realising you didn't have the money to rescue another animal or putting down an injured bunny.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2012, 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I like to think of each animal as an individual, rather that just "one of many" and so have no problem with people rescuing, rehabilitating, giving medical treatment to, and then releasing wild animals of any sort.

It breaks my heart to hear of dogs living in rescue kennels for year upon year waiting for the right home - but I do believe that each dog deserves as much chance as the next at getting a new and loving home.

Unfortunately all rescues are getting to crisis point, due to the over-breeding and then abandonment of dogs and now many individuals are having to be put to sleep, that would once upon a time have found a new home. Very, very sad. I have no answers.

However, as I said initially, I think if an animal can be rescued and rehomed or released then all well and good as far as I am concerned.
Great post!

I was round at OHs in the summer, and while I was out playing in the garden with Jake, I noticed a teeny bird sitting on the ground. I called OH while I held Jake back, and the bird didn't even attempt to fly away when OH picked it up. We saw no injuries or anything on the bird, so we made a wee nest and put it in a tub (with the lid off) and put a bottle lid with water in it. We left it in the porch, and later his mum shouted us saying the bird was flying around the porch! OH picked it up again, and put it outside... seeing that bird fly away was such a great feeling! The bird wouldn't have stood a chance for that amount of time outside...

I remember so many times when I was younger, and my dad doing the same... most survived and just needed somewhere quiet for a while.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >