Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chunky
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-12-2011, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
I think I'd be right in saying that it's the dogs that are bred by byb's and puppy farmers in this breed, that suffer more problems than those from show, working or pet homes. .
For the MWD it is some of the big names in show that are THE worst offenders (sadly).
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-12-2011, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by Chunky View Post
For the MWD it is some of the big names in show that are THE worst offenders (sadly).
I don't doubt that's the case for a number of breeds, but I'd suggest they are in the minority. Unfortunately, when you get people who are passionate about something, they can lose sight of the right aims, and definitely some involved with showing are in it to produce the perfect specimen at any cost. I aim to show my flatcoat and in the future, hopefully a Labrador pup I've bred, having put a lot of time and thought into the direction I want to go with my dogs and any breeding I undertake, I hope I never lose sight of what's important, the dogs.

I think it's a great shame that people lose their aims, or that they become blurred somehow and they can't see what's right under their nose. But the RSPCA commenting on the health of dogs, when they are one of the charities that's lost their way the most, seems to be a little bit ironic to me.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2011, 04:43 PM
Why do you feel the RSPCA have 'lost their way' the most?
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-12-2011, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Why do you feel the RSPCA have 'lost their way' the most?
They're supposed to be a rescue organisation, yet much of their money is spent on posh offices, taking people to court over wills, and advertising.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2011, 05:42 PM
And of course all the rescue centres bearing their name are self funded and run however that particular manager sees fit (which isn't always a good thing).
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2011, 06:10 PM
They're supposed to be a rescue organisation, yet much of their money is spent on posh offices, taking people to court over wills, and advertising.
I sort of agree with you on the office front, but wills are part and parcel of their fund raising efforts so I'm not sure on that one. Advertising is another damned if they do, damned if they don't. It brings in revenue and raises the profile of both the organisation and animal welfare so is a necessary part of their activities (IMHO)
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-12-2011, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
I sort of agree with you on the office front, but wills are part and parcel of their fund raising efforts so I'm not sure on that one. Advertising is another damned if they do, damned if they don't. It brings in revenue and raises the profile of both the organisation and animal welfare so is a necessary part of their activities (IMHO)
They've spent thousands upon thousands of pounds previously, taking family members to court to contest wills.

Perhaps I should have said misadvertising, the RSPCA famously campaigned against fox hunting, with two adverts that were completely made up, and were successfully contested ending up in them being fined. So, spend money on adverts and pay fines for making up adverts, is that a good way to spend money that's meant to rescue companion animals, particularly when what they were creating an advert against, has nothing to do with companion animals?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2011, 06:25 PM
They've spent thousands upon thousands of pounds previously, taking family members to court to contest wills.

Perhaps I should have said misadvertising, the RSPCA famously campaigned against fox hunting, with two adverts that were completely made up, and were successfully contested ending up in them being fined. So, spend money on adverts and pay fines for making up adverts, is that a good way to spend money that's meant to rescue companion animals, particularly when what they were creating an advert against, has nothing to do with companion animals?
I can understand them contesting wills.

Don't know about the 'fox hunting' advert so, as I don't know the content, I can't really comment.

However, the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA) isn't all about companion animals, but ALL animals - hence the name. Many would agree with them, me included, that fox hunting is a cruel sport that needed banning, but that's a whole other debate
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

30-12-2011, 08:30 PM

Well not completely made up were they and there was no fine, the complaints were made by the Countryside Alliance (i am a member) so lets be honest they had a vested interest, the RSPCA claimed that a majority wanted an outright ban but a poll showed only 48% did, the others wanted changes but more self regulatory, please do not try and skew the debate as it gives power to the antis, just let the facts speak for themselves.
Regarding the RSPCA and wills going to court, well the person who made the will obviously wanted the money to go to the RSPCA so that is the way it should be.
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

30-12-2011, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
Never mind the dogs that weren't show dogs, the ones who weren't even kc reg and the gsd import. Nor was there any mention of pf's in the prog.

Think it's right to say there was more issues than simply biassed editing.

Shame really, as there was a great opportunity for a balanced attempt at educating the wider GP wasted, for the sake of a genders and sensationalism...this is from someone who doesn't show.

Hope the sequel if there's still to be one, does a better job.
No need to be balanced it was about exposing the flaws in a certain part of the dog world, it achieved that and more.
Page 15 of 28 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 25 > Last »