Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-12-2011, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Good well balanced post

You're quite right that only in recent years has breeding for health really caught on. I think not so long ago people were blinkered to health issues but now progress is finally being made by some people, mainly in the show world. It's disheartening therefore that those that are doing their best to breed for health as well as type and temperament are the very ones that the RSPCA are pointing fingers at.

If anyone has the dog world annual 2011 one of the kennel ads shows a Corgi in action herding, he's also a top show dog and very much fit for function. It's very good to see adverts like this rather than the usual old fashioned 'stacked' pose.

I remain optimistic that the in the main, the show breeders are trying hard to get things right. Some breeds have certainly lost their way and some breed clubs may need a kick up the backside and a reality check but on the whole what show breeders want most of all is to produce sound, healthy happy pups that are good representatives of their breed. The best thing that we can do is to try to educate the public about where to obtain their dogs, whether it be a rescue or a pedigree or crossbreed from a breeder. It's something I try to do all the time at work when people ask me where they can find a new pup etc. (and I do get asked A LOT!) As dog lovers it is our duty to help point people in the right direction instead of pointing fingers at one another.
Good post !!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

30-12-2011, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Sadly I have only seen one Corgi doing agility
She measured small but was unable to even jump the small jumps
But she did love it and charged round poles flying - perfect rounds except every pole down

Her owner chatted to me afterwards and said she loves the breed and thinks she has finally found a good breeder who is breeding with the ability to take a small jump as well

Because for a supposed hearding dog it would be difficult to work if blocked by a simple twig or pothole - a little like a darlik trying the herd

Maybe the clue is in the "good breeder" , I know someone who has had corgis for many many years,and have never known one of them to be hindered by their build, they live on a livery yard and do all the things farm dogs do.

Personaly I think us humans mess up breeding when we try and control it because we dont know all the facts. Not that long ago we didnt know about dna
We are learning all the time, which is good, but it means there is always things we dont know

Also there is in some areas old school people who think they are the gods of breeding and know it all
and people listen to them because they have been breeding 20/40/60 years

and with no real evidence to support things people say it is perfectly safe to line breed/inbreed breed littermates simply because people have been doing it

I am afraid I wont believe we know what we are doing until dogs are at least as healthy as wolves
and when you consider all the dangers that wolves face in the wild - and all the help our dogs have with vets and supposedly great food
I think it is very telling that the average lifespan often quoted for a wolf is 12 years - yet meny of our man made breeds do not have that expected lifespan

I think it is great that people are trying to do better, but I also think we do not know enough and have and still are making big mistakes

imo pedigree dogs (and crosses because at the end of the day if you mate 2 unhealthy dogs you get an unhealthy dog) are not as healthy as they would have been if man had not dabbled

That would be the captive wolf, that lives in a unnatural environment, with all the medical /artificial care available ,

The average lifespan for a "wild" wolf, is around 7/8 yrs, due to the fact like many wild animals, they live a harsh life of survival, the strongest survive, the weakest/sick die,

Never sure why people try to justify the wild against the domesticated , i.e... the wild is healthier, they are not, they have short lifespans, not something I would hope for my domesticated pets.
Chunky
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-12-2011, 09:38 AM
Don't even get me started on the UK Dachshund (particularly the mini wire) and how it has been cocked up totally in this country. BUT is allowed to carry on. Mkes my blood boil
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2011, 09:39 AM
LOL---comparing captive wolves to captive dogs is fine, Comparing wild wolves to wild dogs is fine.

Ben didn't compare wild wolves to captive dogs----which wouldn't have been fine! You did.

rune
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2011, 09:46 AM
Ok well the places I looked at obviously missinformed
But even for captive the point still holds

For a similar sized dog to a wolf the dog who has had the benifit of human control on its breeding, greater vet and food care they still do not have longer (or in most breeds that size they don't even reach) average life expectancies than the captive wolf

It would be expected they would have longer lives if our intervention was helping them
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

30-12-2011, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
LOL---comparing captive wolves to captive dogs is fine, Comparing wild wolves to wild dogs is fine.

Ben didn't compare wild wolves to captive dogs----which wouldn't have been fine! You did.

rune
Did I ...........

BTW ..Ben did not specify either or.. just wolf.

I think it is very telling that the average lifespan often quoted for a wolf is 12 years
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

30-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Ok well the places I looked at obviously missinformed
But even for captive the point still holds

For a similar sized dog to a wolf the dog who has had the benifit of human control on its breeding, greater vet and food care they still do not have longer (or in most breeds that size they don't even reach) average life expectancies than the captive wolf

It would be expected they would have longer lives if our intervention was helping them
Don`t they, so your saying domesticated large dogs dont reach double figures.
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

30-12-2011, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
I can well understand the stance taken by the KC. The film company in question seems to be on a witch hunt if their last production is anything to go by and that benefits no one
So instead of defending themselves they run away like children and take the ball home, personally if someone was going to witch hunt me i would not run away bur defend my position.
How the last programme could be classed as a witch hunt is ridiculous, yes some of it was not very well edited and could have been done better but the crux of the programme was spot on and has and will lead to a better KC and show world in time.
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-12-2011, 03:54 PM
Funnily enough, I've just watched *that* programme again, armed with a couple of years more knowledge than the first time round, and found it to be incredibly flawed.

Apparently, genetic conditions are increasing? How can this be in closed gene pools, or do they mean genetic conditions related to conformation issues, which is something entirely different. Opening gene pools can have it's own problems in bringing in other conditions, that then become a problem a few years down the line, and of course, by then, as no-one has tested for this problem, as it wasn't one in that particular breed, it's then more difficult to eradicate.

Also, Labradors are riddled with joint and eye problems, funny that, because most of the Labs I see move absolutely fine (except Indie when I want her out of my chair) and can see a hand going in the pocket for a treat at half a mile. I think I'd be right in saying that it's the dogs that are bred by byb's and puppy farmers in this breed, that suffer more problems than those from show, working or pet homes. And yet I'm sure if you did a poll, a majority of people would believe show bred Labradors were less healthy overall. I wonder where that perception comes from?

It's amazing how it's only *inbreeding* with dogs that seems to be focussed on, not with cattle, sheep or other animals, where it's done to a greater extent in some instances. You only have to look at some other animals to see how we've completely changed them from the original, and yet that's somehow more acceptable, look at the way we breed cattle for maximum muscle to give us beef. Why is one seen as good, and the other, seen as bad.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2011, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by astle9 View Post
So instead of defending themselves they run away like children and take the ball home, personally if someone was going to witch hunt me i would not run away bur defend my position.
How the last programme could be classed as a witch hunt is ridiculous, yes some of it was not very well edited and could have been done better but the crux of the programme was spot on and has and will lead to a better KC and show world in time.
Never mind the dogs that weren't show dogs, the ones who weren't even kc reg and the gsd import. Nor was there any mention of pf's in the prog.

Think it's right to say there was more issues than simply biassed editing.

Shame really, as there was a great opportunity for a balanced attempt at educating the wider GP wasted, for the sake of a genders and sensationalism...this is from someone who doesn't show.

Hope the sequel if there's still to be one, does a better job.
Page 14 of 28 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 > Last »