Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-04-2015, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by Strangechilde View Post
That's impressive! By contrast, we had a magnificent GSD/Malamute mix who was a little bit wolfy. He hardly ever barked, but if he did, it was the most puppyish thing you ever heard from a dog that size. But he was a natural guard too-- never happier than when he was shepherding his own little pack, his usual group with the dog walkers. Even if he never barked, he had a whole range of expressions you could read like a book. I'm sure if we had a Timmy and a well, he would have had a 'Timmy is in the well' facial expression. Laszlo did so much work for us, kept us up to speed, alerted us when someone was missing or something was seriously wrong (poor Tara nearly drowning; Laszlo told us and she was OK).
The way a dog expresses itself and learning how to interpret them has always fascinated me. M'boi, my first Pei gave the most peculiar "yip" if she wanted to attract my attention. It was her way of telling me to come to her because she had something to show me that was of importance! Georgina, the Pei I have now, if she wants to show me something, will run up to me, whining, and won't leave until I go with her to see what it is. Gwylim, my Miniature Schnauzer by contrast will howl ... almost like a yodel ... but unlike either of my Pei will only growl when he's playing with Georgina or he's frightened of another dog.

I think its very important to learn as much as possible about the way your dogs express themselves vocally because even though they might be in the garden and you're in the house, and can't see their body language, you still have a good idea what's going through their heads at that particular moment.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3