Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spaznchevrolet
New Member!
Female 

18-03-2012, 05:54 AM

Excessive jumping and barking...advice please

I have a min pin pup he is about 5 months old , and he is the sweetest thing you could ever meet . But he has some pup problems , i'm not sure how to get him to stop he is about 7-8 pounds and I have a 3 year old daughter and he just gets sooooo excited when my daughter is around and he jumps up on her and accidently scratches her... Or just at random moments he will run in front of me and just start jumping i front of me ( but not on me) like jumping up and down and just barks and barks and barks , and I have a baby on the way so I would like to get the barking under control before the new baby . I'm sorry i'm so long winded but I have his full sister she is 2 years old and her name is Chevy and I never had jumping or barking problems from her , unless she is actually barking at something or someone or just jumping in my lap .. please any advice would be greatly appreciated
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2012, 08:16 AM
Hi
I would also look at managing the situation. Because both dog and child will presumably grow out of baby behaviour.
Stop the silliness (I expect they spark each other off) by using playpen or babygates.
When I had a pup and a toddler, one of them went in the playpen if I had to leave the room.
As the children grew (and the dog) I banned rough games and the child had to leave the dog alone when I said so - and the dog had to leave the child alone when I said. Particularly when either was eating or playing with toys the other one liked the look of.
As the dog gets better trained and the child gets older, it gets easier - provided they have learned to behave around each other.
Try to make one-on-one time for each to teach them manners. Raising dogs and kids isn`t so very different when they are little.

Wild Rose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-03-2012, 12:37 AM
I would start by having the three year old feed the dogs. This can be his big boy job. Children this age get a real kick out of feeding kibble one piece at a time, so have the dogs each sit, then get a kibble, any other trick, then get a kibble (or a handful). This chore helps your guy feel like he is a BIG brother and has control with the dogs. It also trains the dogs to listen to the boy. From there, the bouncy dog must sit when he comes to the boy and be rewarded with a treat or toy or something, but ONLY if there is a sit.

With a bouncy dog like this, I would also make sure he gets an energetic walk in the morning to take the edge off of his boundless energy. You may not feel like walking the dog right now, but perhaps your husband could.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2012, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Hi
.....As the dog gets better trained and the child gets older, it gets easier - provided they have learned to behave around each other.
Try to make one-on-one time for each to teach them manners. Raising dogs and kids isn`t so very different when they are little.

What a lovely photo demonstrating good behaviour from both

A photo of your child and dog, CandD?

Wys
x
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2012, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
What a lovely photo demonstrating good behaviour from both

A photo of your child and dog, CandD?

Wys
x
Yes - that`s Luke and Lucy.
She was a very challenging girl. Luke not so much.