Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-11-2006, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by sunseeker View Post
I feed her a complete dry food, Hill's Science Plan for large breeds. She eats in a morning and evening and has been doing this for about 6 months. She usually brings it from the kitchen to where ever i am sitting, sometimes she places it either at my feet in the middle of the room, plays with it or hides it in her bed. She is a very content dog and enjoys her food and there is no worry for her about her food be eaten by another dog.
Sunseeker It sounds as if it has become a habit now , how much do you feed, are you following the manufacturers instructions regarding quantity?

As Azz has said dogs hide food to keep it from predators and this often happens when they have more than they can eat.

You say she enjoys her food, sorry but how do you know this if she is playing with it and hiding it.

Can you not shut her in the kitchen at mealtimes, or maybe use a kong to make the food more interesting
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2006, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Syd expects me to hold his bone for him while he gnaws it, but that's because he used to wear an Elizabethan collar as a pup, and if he held a bone between his paws his mouth couldn't reach it
Maybe she likes company during dinner
Roxy does that too and shes never really had a reason for it?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

02-11-2006, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by DobieGirl View Post
Roxy does that too and shes never really had a reason for it?
They obviously think we are their slaves
Whitaker1579
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-11-2006, 05:53 PM
Ok, Just a thorey!
But wild dogs, will NOT eat before the Alpha dog has eaten and then the rest will eat any scraps left.

MAYBE,, your dog know's your the 'pack leader' aka 'the Alpha dog' and there for is ofering you first dib's??!

Like i said, just a theory, i would like to know what other dogsey people think of that idea??

It sorta makes sence in my mind.
sunseeker
New Member!
Female 

03-11-2006, 10:07 PM
Yes i agree, i thought it might be some kind of offering.
Thanks for the suggestion
Meg
Supervisor

03-11-2006, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by Whitaker1579 View Post
Ok, Just a thorey!
But wild dogs, will NOT eat before the Alpha dog has eaten and then the rest will eat any scraps left.
MAYBE,, your dog know's your the 'pack leader' aka 'the Alpha dog' and there for is ofering you first dib's??!
Like i said, just a theory, i would like to know what other dogsey people think of that idea??
It sorta makes sence in my mind.
Hi Whitaker I don't know which wild dogs you are talking about but wild dogs let the puppies eat first, they also reserve food for sick members.
This is a quotation taken from the Wild Dog Foundation.
The pack hunts cooperatively. African wild dogs can run almost 40 miles per hour. Their diet includes gazelle, antelope, zebra and warthog. They are extremely efficient hunters and contrary to popular belief, prey is dispatched in seconds rather than minutes. Wild dogs are only carnivorous species to allow their young to feed first. The adults wait until the pups are finished before they will feed. .
http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache...k&ct=clnk&cd=1

There was a very interesting programme about wild dogs on the TV last Sunday. It showed the dogs hunting and eating together and confirmed the above information.

If one considers things logically feeding is connected to perpetuating the species, if the strong Alfpha dogs ate first leaving only scraps for the puppies, the puppies who are already vulnerable to predators would soon weaken and die and the species would be wiped out.

I think Sunseekers dog does not want the food and has got into the habit of trying to bury it ,I don't think the behaviour has anything to do with offerings
Amber08071
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-11-2006, 10:41 PM
Could be something like a cat if she is bringing it to you. I heard that cats will bring home dead mice to their owners after being outside as sort of like a gift.... , so maybe she is giving it to you as a gift of her affection to you.
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-11-2006, 11:11 PM
Do you think you are feeding her too much? i know our youngest with chicken wings will bring them to me to play and chase after her shes not remotely interested in eating them after eating a few. She does this we think rather than leave them in her bowl for the others to take them.
She has buried them to in her crate on occasion which makes us laugh as the others can smell them a mile off so its hardly ever an ideal spot to hide.
We stopped giving her as many and she doesnt do it to often now.

With the cold weather now mine dont exercise too much so the food intake isnt as much as they dont need to replenish what they havent lost, maybe you need to make an adjustment just a thought.

*whitaker* i have never held much faith in that theory its been done to death and ripped to pieces more than once so that it no longer holds much water for me.
darasa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-11-2006, 11:14 PM
interesting thread I assumed from the title that it was a submissive action.. will continue to read and learn !
Rachel
Whitaker1579
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-11-2006, 11:15 PM
Hi,
I saw that program too and i must say i was stund at how the whole pack looked after the injerd one with the broken leg.

How ever i was more refuring to the 'wolf like' ancester's,, after seeing them on the channel 4 show 'It's me or the dog' with Victoria Sterwell, a couple of week's ago. Where in there case the 'Alpha dog' would always eat before every one else. And please note that i did say it was just a theory!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >