Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-11-2007, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
So why do ethical breeders bother then? Surely health tests are paramount to producing healthier pups and reducing problems that may be in the breed!

Back on to the subject, would ask if the dogs are the same breed as obviously a larger dog than the female could cause problems?
I made the point as the op said this was an accident so imo its a case of whats done is done and to and to say "one of these is a bit harsh, one of these what?. If you had read my posts in the past I am all for health testing, more so than any other requirement.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

29-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
and to say "one of these is a bit harsh, one of these what?. .
Sorry dont understand that bit
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2007, 08:55 PM
They maybe getting a dog that turns out to be brilliant with no problems whatsoever. The fact is no one knows either way.
The people that buy them Stormey will be the ones that must find out. Its extremely sad and I think far TOO naive to expect somebody "thinks" their male is castrated, SEES their bitch mated, then comes on a forum asking for help because she "may" be pregnant? Give me strength! the FIRST thing you'd do it consult a Vet, not wait six weeks!
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-11-2007, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
The people that buy them Stormey will be the ones that must find out. Its extremely sad and I think far TOO naive to expect somebody "thinks" their male is castrated, SEES their bitch mated, then comes on a forum asking for help because she "may" be pregnant? Give me strength! the FIRST thing you'd do it consult a Vet, not wait six weeks!
Yes the owners are the ones who will find out and hopefully will be fine,

Its the use of the mad simiely that made me post, why would you get mad over it without knowing how they will be. I can understand if it was written in stone they would be bad and have health problems but its not.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2007, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
That's the point I was trying to make too

And, that's why I didn't think it was an accident.

My 'Bitchiness' was not intended to a newbie who had a genuine accident, but to someone who I think mated her dog intentionally, especially as her 'friend' does it with her dog too !
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post

My 'Bitchiness' was not intended to a newbie who had a genuine accident, but to someone who I think mated her dog intentionally, especially as her 'friend' does it with her dog too !
Upon reading the profile and seeing this person has owned dogs for up to 20 years and also has 3 daughters.. therefore SHOULD know how the birds and bees (or dogs & bitches) work. its an "accident" that should and could have been avoided.

Whilst I understand its happend.. it is something that shouldn't..

In one post the OP stated that they thought the bitch was "out of season" and in another she says she didn't know the digs wasn't neutered..Which...is highly unbeleivable!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2007, 09:25 PM

Absolutely malady!

Stormey.
I AM mad! To think that these poor puppies from untested parents will be sold to pet people and may be in for a life of misery due to the irresponsibility of their breeder, I am damned annoyed!! They "may" be ok, but there is a massively increased risk of everything not being ok when bred like this, its exactly the type of breeding that has completely ruined the breed. I wont accept it as an accident, and if it was, it could of been rectified 6 weeks ago.
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-11-2007, 11:20 PM
Al those people who wouldnt have people telling them to spay their dogs are responsible enough to know how to keep dogs of a different sex

My first posts were not attacking her at all. My post that was harsh was saying how I felt sorry for the dog, having to cope with a new home, a new dog, a new environment and then being pregnant. We are dog lovers here, and my concern was for the dog, not the owners feelings !
It is the owner posting not the dog,is she not a dog lover concerned for her dog?if you are to teach anybody anything, the point of that would be to help the dog,if you upset the owner and she leaves without the knowledge she came here to learn,how have you helped the dog?so pet owners are stupid and have to be told when to spay their dogs?is that what you are saying. interesting
do you consider yourself a pet owner?your profile says you are not A Breeder
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2007, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
They maybe getting a dog that turns out to be brilliant with no problems whatsoever. The fact is no one knows either way.

Both dogs are listed as Westies and sadly there are some serious problems which they are, [ commonly ], prone to as a breed which can mean considerable discomfort to affected dogs and heavy vet bills for owners

From Westie Health Concerns

http://www.westieclubamerica.com/health/concerns.html

The following, while not all-inclusive, are some of the more common problems that may be encountered in Westies.

* Addison's Disease
* Addison's Disease Summary
(Hypoadrenocorticism)
* Atopic Dermatitis
* Canine Influenza
* Cleft Palate
* Copper Toxicosis (CT)
* Craniomandibular Osteopathy (CMO)
* Diabetes Mellitus
* Ear Infections
* Epidermal Dysplasia
* Globoid Cell Leukodystrophy (GCL)
* Heart Disease
* Hip Dysplasia
* Immune System
* Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
* Hernia
* Juvenile Cataracts
* Keratoconjunctivitis Sicca (KCS)
* Kidney Disease
* Legg-Calve-Perthes
* Luxated Patella
* Portosystemic Shunt
* Pulmonary Fibrosis
* Pyruvate Kinase (PK) Deficiency
* Seborrhea, Primary and Secondary
* Signs of the Aging Westie
* Skin and Allergy Problems
* Teeth and Gums
* Westie Lung Disease
* White Shakers Syndrome

Also :

Bladder Cancer in the West Highland White Terrier

http://www.westieclubamerica.com/hea...ncerstudy.html

"The Ostrander Laboratory at the National Human Genome Research Institute at NIH in collaboration with the Purdue Comparative Oncology Program at Purdue University and the Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences at the University of Minnesota is conducting research on the genetic susceptibility to transitional cell carcinoma (TCC) of the urinary bladder in the West Highland White Terrier. This is a devastating disease with genetic underpinnings and our ultimate goal is to identify the genetic variants responsible for susceptibility to this disease. West Highland White Terriers are five times more likely to be diagnosed with TCC than other dogs and treatment of advanced TCC has often been met with disappointing results. Too many Westies die each year as a result of this terrible disease."

Not good, and shows why health testing is so vital before breeding because otherwie there is no way to know if either parent is a sufferer or carrier of any of the above until pups are born which my or may not be affected

The op mentions that her girl is 3 years old but only recently acquired which presumably means a rescue or private re-home [ ? ] and in either instance should have been spayed before re-homing to prevent exactly this sort of unnecessary occurrence, same with the boy, presumably an adult or at least older juvenile homing so should have been castrated before re-homing.

If either dog did come from a rescue and not private rehome, the rescue/s concerned must be contacted if adoptions were signed for in either case as adopters are usually `guardians` and not `owners` so a rescue would officially own any pups as well and would be responsible for homing them, in which case the pups can`t just be sold.
[ Depending on the contract if either were rescue adoptee`s that is, I`m not sure as the OP has`nt clarified, I`m just going by the not knowing the boy was`nt snipped and the girl being a 3 year old but recently acquired ].
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-11-2007, 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by Colin Bradish View Post
The point you are missing is that in the post you mentioned was the question "Would you neuter or spay your existing dog" not would you have a rescued dog neutered or spayed?

If I remember correctly most people answered that they would not have their existing dogs neutered or spayed, but would have no problem having the new dog or bitch done.

So in effect your point becomes irrelevant

As Malady said, my concern is for the dog and not the persons feelings. Plus at no point in her post did she state that she was going to get her spayed but her bitch came into season.
I dont think I missed any point,and your memory is not correct, heres a direct quotes from that particular thread

however i will not be dictated to, bullied or cornered to have a "none fixed" dog spayed/neutered

I'm sorry but nobody would tell me what to do with MY dog that I paid alot of money for.

and from malady
No I would most certainly Not.
My dogs are shown and in any case, why should I be dictated to by someone who is unlikely to ever do a home check again of the dog anyhow

I have took on dogs from rescue's/private homes all my adult life, but I won't be dictated to what I should and shouldn't do with my existing dogs.
Closed Thread
Page 6 of 10 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »