Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2007, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
Again sorry to sound harsh, but how can you possibly mistake an un-neutered male ???? They have 'man fruits' on display ???

Surely someone never told you he was done, thinking you wouldn't miss that little giveaway ??
Sorry but this has brought back a memory that made me laugh. I had always owned bitches and when I had my first male and he was done I had such a shock that they actually took his fruits away, after all my husband was done and he still had his fruits. You do live and learn as they say.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-11-2007, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by pixydust View Post
thank you for beeing nice about this i would never of left the dogs together if i new the boy hadn't been done but when i brought the 2 together i was told the boy had been done this is why i wasn't sure if she was pregnant or not but the vet has confirmed she is so now i will deal with the situation in hand
Hi Pixydust I would certainly obtain the book as advised above, it will walk you through the various stages of whelping. Did the vet advise on feeding and worming?
pixydust
New Member!
Female 

29-11-2007, 06:46 PM
yes worming is all upto date and to keep her on the puppy food as she'l get all she needs from this. also advised on some books and web sights that will help
Azz
Administrator
Male 

29-11-2007, 06:59 PM
Hi Guys - please get back on topic from this post on. Any more off-topic posts will be deleted.

Regarding the tones of some people. I still think we are head and shoulders above other big forums.. imagine what kind of response she might have got on some of them

But there is always room for improvement, and in this thread I think there was a tiny subtle thing that changed the tone of a few posts, and that is over use of exclamation marks !! and ??'s etc.

DON'T use them like that in this type of thread - it does come across as aggressive.

As I have said before, some people have really valid points to make, but they're posts are let down by their tone and attitude.

Here's a few examples from this thread.

Sorry to sound harsh, but if it wasnt planned, and you knew she was got at, why didn't you take her to the vet to get the Jab ??

Behaviour alone will not tell if she is or isn't. Only a blood test to detect relaxin will tell for definate.

She could be or she could be having a phantom.

I would be taking her to the vet, because if she is, you need to be feeding her enough for her and the pups or she will become ill, using all her resources for the pups.
Would have been better like this - changes highlighted in blue:

Sorry to sound harsh, but if it wasnt planned, and you knew she was got at, [B]was there a reason [/B]why you didn't take her to the vet to get the Jab?

Behaviour alone will not tell if she is or isn't. A blood test is the most effective way to detect relaxin will tell for definate.

She could be or she could be having a phantom.

I would be taking her to the vet, because if she is, you would need to be feeding her enough for her and the pups or she will become ill, using all her resources for the pups.
Here's another:

I don't personally think it helps any, but others will disagree.

Unless you have a blood test, you won't know for sure as even phantoms can display all the signs of a real pregnancy, right down to the labour, that produces no puppies.

At this stage only a scan or bloods will tell for definate.

In the future I would keep your dogs apart when she is in season, especially if you know she's been got at once, and then to allow it a second time !!

How old is your bitch ??
Better version:

I don't personally think it helps any, but others will disagree.

Unless you have a blood test, you won't know for sure as even phantoms can display all the signs of a real pregnancy, right down to the labour, that produces no puppies.

At this stage only a scan or bloods will tell for definate.

In the future I would keep your dogs apart when she is in season, especially as you know she's been got at once. [deleted tlat bit from here - no need for it]

How old is your bitch?
Here's another, and while not as aggressive, it could have been a tiny bit more considerate:

The best thing you can do now is take her to your vets ASAP and get her tested.

I'm sorry but I just think that you have been irresponsible in allowing her to go near another male when she is in or has just come off of season.

Why did you not get her spayed if you have no intention of having puppies in the first place and by the sounds of it has very little knowledge of what you are doing or how to keep her or them.

The very first rule of owning a dog is to do your homework concerning the breed.

If she is pregnant have you given any consideration to what you are going to do with the puppies once they are born. i.e.: having to take about two weeks off of work so that you don't leave her unattended. Where are or how are you going to rehome them etc. Are you going to be able to afford the vet bills for the health checks and vaccinations etc.

I'm sorry to sound harsh, but this county has got thousand of dogs in rescues kennels across this county where puppies have been born because of unwanted pregnancies.

I just hope you dog doesn't have any complications if she is pregnant.
Better version:

The best thing you can do now is take her to your vets ASAP and get her tested.

Personally (and I'm sorry that this might not be what you want to hear) but I think that you have been irresponsible in allowing her to go near another male when she is in or has just come off of season. Of course we can't know all the details, but from what you have posted this is my opinion.

Why did you not get her spayed if you have no intention of having puppies in the first place? By the sounds of it has very little knowledge of what you are doing or how to keep her or them.

The very first rule of owning a dog really is to do your homework concerning the breed.

If she is pregnant have you given any consideration to what you are going to do with the puppies once they are born. i.e.: having to take about two weeks off of work so that you don't leave her unattended. Where are or how are you going to rehome them etc. Are you going to be able to afford the vet bills for the health checks and vaccinations etc.

I'm sorry to sound harsh, but this county has got thousand of dogs in rescues kennels across this county where puppies have been born because of unwanted pregnancies.

I just hope you dog doesn't have any complications if she is pregnant.
I totally undsertand that we have a duty to the welfare of dogs by means of education, however we also have to understand that by alienating people we get cut off from being able to offer further help. So if this is a genuine poster she may be cut-off from further knowledge by not coming back (so you're not able to help her dogs).

Also, many people will be suspect the thread starter as a troll - badly written posts (ie spelling/grammer) are often used by trolls to mask their real identity. So there's a lesson for the OP too.

Malady - while you are not as bad as when you first came to Dogsey, you still do come across as a bit of a bitch sometimes. Please work on your posts, I think you make some very valid points, but we cannot allow people to make others feel like ****, esp when you are highlighting their flaws or mistakes. Please try to adjust or we will have no choice but to put your posts on moderate, which may mean there will be a delay in them getting shown in threads or not at all (if a mod thinks they come acorss as bitchy or harsh).

Everyone else please remb, back ontopic, off-topic posts will be deleted by mods without notice. If you have any feedback about my post or our rules - use the feedback section
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2007, 07:09 PM
hi pixydust pleased you came back hun we are here to help you would love to see pics of your girl and let us now how it goes ok.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2007, 07:17 PM
Notes taken and wrist slapped
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2007, 07:50 PM
Im glad your back to, I hope your lady is well! I would love to hear what the vet says, good luck and I hope you got my PM earlier
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2007, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
but what's done is done, now if she'd been a regular and we'd advised her not to have dog and bitch together etc and it still happened then yes we could be a bit more harsh but the point is the bitch could well be pregnant and harping on about what she should and shouldn't have done is pointless.
Lets make sure things go right from here.
Becky
That old "whats done is done" again, tut tut!!! Unfortunately its the puppies that have parents that are not health tested and may be poor specimens, owned by a person who says she thought her male was "done" Just think of the lucky folk that will be getting one of these!
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-11-2007, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
That old "whats done is done" again, tut tut!!! Unfortunately its the puppies that have parents that are not health tested and may be poor specimens, owned by a person who says she thought her male was "done" Just think of the lucky folk that will be getting one of these!
They maybe getting a dog that turns out to be brilliant with no problems whatsoever. The fact is no one knows either way.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

29-11-2007, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
They maybe getting a dog that turns out to be brilliant with no problems whatsoever. The fact is no one knows either way.
So why do ethical breeders bother then? Surely health tests are paramount to producing healthier pups and reducing problems that may be in the breed!

Back on to the subject, would ask if the dogs are the same breed as obviously a larger dog than the female could cause problems?
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »