Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
marleysmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-04-2012, 08:23 AM

Marley's got a cough or maybe a sore throat

My lab pup marley seems to have adopted a cough since yesterday, the only thing i can think of is that he was pulling alot on the lead so was wondering if he could be damaging his neck when he pulls, iv noticed that he coughs after barking and running around when hes off lead, hes vaccinated against kennel cough and i use advocate to prevent lungworm so i dont think it can be anything like that i hope, does anyone have any thoughts on what i should do? i dont want to go running to the vet straight away if its the collar causing him to cough, im going to use a harness on him and see if theres any change today.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Has he been wormed? If the cough persists I`d take him to the vet. Lungworm, heartworm and tapeworm etc can cause a cough.
Please be aware that the KC vaccine only protects against certain strains and the dog can still contract Kennel Cough.
kirstin_mad_dog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-04-2012, 09:28 AM
when we first got caleb he had kennel cough but showed no symptoms except when on a lead or running around the garden, he did occaisionally bring up so phlegm when coughing but not always
he too was vaccinated against kennel cough at 4 months old and got it after he was shipped over from irelend to a dogs trust centre at 5-6months !
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-04-2012, 09:36 AM
Pereg started coughing a couple of days after I got her from the Shelter, when she started running about a bit. She has not been vaccinated or even wormed as her dam and the litter were fostered only until they were weaned, and she was very young when I got her.

When my Vet came round to give her her first shots [and worm pill] he listened to her chest and said that it sounded clear so the cough was probably caused by worms and/or excitement.

She did cough on and off for another couple of weeks, but only when she had gotten a bit too excited, and then it stopped.
marleysmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-04-2012, 01:40 PM
thanks for the replies, i tried using a harness and the cough cleared up, so thankfully it wasnt anything serious! he needs to stop pulling on the lead lol!