register for free

Dog News

Massachusetts legislature stiffens penalties for animal cruelty

The Puppy Doe bill to protect animals from abuse and increase penalties for abusers has passed the Massachusetts legislature and awaits Governor Patrick’s signature.

Massachusetts animal protection groups including the MSPCA-Angell and the Animal Rescue League of Boston (ARL) lauded the passage of Senate Bill 2345, the Puppy Doe bill on August 14, 2014. The Puppy Doe bill, named in honor of a well known 2013 abuse victim who succumbed to her injuries after her rescue, establishes harsher punishments and financial penalties for animal cruelty and aims to prevent abuse from happening in Massachusetts.

The measures take effect in 90 days from its passage once the bill is signed into law by Governor Patrick.

The bill raises maximum penalties for animal cruelty convictions from five to seven years and increases the maximum fine from $2,500 to $5,000. The bill also allows a penalty of up to 10 years and/or a fine of $10,000 for repeat convictions. In addition, the bill requires veterinarians to report suspected animal abuse. Also included in the new law is the creation of a task force comprised of experts in law enforcement, animal protection, veterinary medicine and the law to systematically and comprehensively evaluate the state’s cruelty statutes to ensure continued progress.
...[snip]...
Prior to the passage of this new law Massachusetts maintained some of the most lenient fines in the nation for animal abuse, with a maximum of $2,500. Many other states have higher prison sentences as well. i. The new law marks the first update of these penalties in nearly ten years and reflects broad public consensus that animal cruelty must never be tolerated.
Full article and photograph here...

http://www.lifewithdogs.tv/2014/08/m...nimal-cruelty/

A big step in the right direction.

Your comments and views:
Musher
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-08-2014, 01:22 AM
I agree with Malko.
That being said it is my opinion that any humans who would take a Northern spitz breed(real sled dog), either keep it in the house and treat it like a human child take it to hot and humid parts(area), neuter or spay it, train it go to the toilet and flush it, make it eat cereal grain based dog food, make it do silly little circus tricks for my frail human ego entertainment,..etc...etc... is all abuse.
If I want a dog, it will be chosen to be used what it was bred for.
I would most definitely not take a Poodle or a Mexican Hairless to the northern woods and make it pull a sled, feed it frozen raw fish and sleep outside,...the same as I would NOT take a Qimmiq or a MacKenzie River Indian Dog or a Malamute to Dallas Texas or the South American jungle to pull a cart and feed it designer cereal grain based dogfood.
These are both forms of abuse.
Point in question, who in their right mind would release a dozen polar bears in the middle of Pretoria and expect them to survive on plant life and reproduce naturally? This is a totally egocentric and irresponsible thought process from whence abuse stems.
My personal opinion, I think this law is a step in the right direction. A baby step, but a definatly a positive step forward.
So Malko, I guess I need to correct myself,....
I disagree and agree with you.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-08-2014, 04:26 PM
Sadly this should be law ALREADY and nationwide. But the problem I see with it besides Mushers good points is that like child protective laws people can misuse the system.

Vengeance and nuisance reports glut the child abuse agencies.
We got reported last year...the complaint? My daughter sleeps in a room with vermin. The reality? Her pet rats have a large clean cage on a sturdy dresser in her room. They're healthy and fed a balanced diet and quite friendly.
Likewise many years ago I brought my in laws dog to the vet. She was elderly and had been neglected, my getting her out of the house and finally humanely euthanized was in her best interest. They would have let her go to die at home and save the vet bill.
Would bringing them to court have really solved anything? They would have held it against me and had no intention of getting any more pets. If the vet had reported me it wouldn't be right. I didn't cause the abuse, I was trying to take care of the sad damage.
It has to be a case by case basis.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top