Our sister sites
Our sister sites
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2011, 08:49 AM

Feeding sardines

Hey Guys,

Just wondering if its ok to feed sardines every day to a dog? I currently feed a tin of sardines every other day but im thinking of just halving 1 tin between them per day. Would this be ok? Its easier putting tablets in the food when i do this. Does it put weight on the dogs?
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2011, 09:30 AM
Too much food puts wieght on dogs.
Do you have to give tablets every day? Maybe you could alternate with other tasty foods.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2011, 09:44 AM
cant see a problem with feeding sardines every day. fish is good for their coats. but i think you have to give extra vitamin e when you feed lots of omega? not sure if thats right but im sure ive read it somewhere.

mine get fish four times a week, they have mackeral and pilchards as well as sardines.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2011, 10:27 AM
A small tin of sardines divided between 2 dogs shouldnt cause any problems, drain off excess oil before you feed or you coukd altenate with tuna

I buy Pate - ours are quite keen to tske their meds in spoon of Pate
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2011, 10:45 AM
Hmm may try pate as well. I alternate between sardsines and mackeral. Its only something like 1 1/12 sardines each meal. I usually feed the full tin 3 times a week which has 3 sardines in it. This way they are actually getting less. But just every day.

Cheers Guys
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2011, 10:58 AM
my dogs are on a sardine based food...and i get them from the fish counter,i also use tinned sardines in kongs.. my dogs like the frozen 'real deal'
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-09-2011, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
...[snip]...I buy Pate - ours are quite keen to tske their meds in spoon of Pate
I tear off a 1cm strip off a slice of the lowest far processed cheese I can get, using just enough to squish round each of Pereg's pills, and she takes it from my cupped palm.

Somehow the idea of a small dollop of paté in my hand does not sound inviting!

I would also worry that she might manage to swallow the paté and cheek the pill [for spitting out when she thinks I am not watching...]
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2011, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
my dogs are on a sardine based food...and i get them from the fish counter,i also use tinned sardines in kongs.. my dogs like the frozen 'real deal'
I seen pilchards on the frozen counter and was wondering if i could feed these to the dogs. sounds like your dogs are doing just fine on them. Think ill continue
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2011, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
I tear off a 1cm strip off a slice of the lowest far processed cheese I can get, using just enough to squish round each of Pereg's pills, and she takes it from my cupped palm.

Somehow the idea of a small dollop of paté in my hand does not sound inviting!

I would also worry that she might manage to swallow the paté and cheek the pill [for spitting out when she thinks I am not watching...]
Ours eat the cheese & "piff" out the pill. The "coarse" pate rather than smooth is best. Scrape some pate off on the spoon, insert pill, scrape more pate on spoon over bottom layer & offer to dog, i never touch it, dogs have their own spoon for such events.
Lea-n-Ben
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-09-2011, 05:06 PM
Our Ben used to have some sardine cake everyday was used as a training treat and he loved it
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >