Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2008, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
Shiba, that's brilliant! Really glad you found something that's worked.

I'm having real skin problems at the moment. I have eczema on my face - it's worst on my cheeks and chin - really dry and it cracks. So I have to put a really greasy steroid cream on it. Then this grease gives me spots! I'd just got over my mild teenage acne, then the eczema flare-ups have made it much worse! Will be going to the doctors again soon, but so far, I'm only treating the eczema, so I don't know what I can do?

Hope you can find something that helps Nicola - will be watching this thread with interest too!
Thanks Charlotte, I'll keep you posted!

Sounds like you have a bit of a vicious circle going on with your skin! I hope you manage to get it sorted out.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2008, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by Irish Setter Mu View Post
I had problem with adult acne (more like boils than spots!) in my mid-late 20's (41 now). Tried oxytetracycline and Dalacin T. Eventually went on a course of Roaccutane as a last resort and used Dianette/Ovranette contraceptives which were good for skin.

I still get the odd spot but I find Superdrug's Tea Tree range very good (they do a sensitive range as well) and I swear by Sudocrem if I get a spot!
I have just taken a course of Oxytetracycline, they have really helped! But the course is now finished and I'm seeing the dermatologist next week, so we'll see what he says!

I've been on Dianette for years, it helped a lot too and I've just come off it as I was advised by the doctor to do because I've been on it a long time. So, time to find something else that I can take long term for my skin!

Tea tree helps a bit, I'm using a tea trea facial foam just now! Hopefully it'll help!

Thanks for the tip on Sudocrem, I'll definitely be trying that!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2008, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by honeysmummy View Post
The best thing is your diet - unfortunatly!!!

NOt too much oil and grease and as i said on another thread CAFFEINE is a major cause of bad skin!!
If you dont drink coffee or tea you will prob never have a spot again (or any other caffeine drinks or foods).
I cant give up choc but dont have anything else with caffeine in it
Tried a diet change a while back for a while, didn't help much!

Been off chocolate (!) for a while, I have a couple of spots! Not eating chocolate doesn't make one bit of difference.

With regards to caffeine, I only really have two cups of tea a day, no sugar, just milk. Sometimes I just have one cup. I need one in the morning! I don't take any other caffeince products.

I don't eat a lot of greasy foods either! The odd chippy, but not very often! If I'm making an omellette or something, I make it with EV olive oil, but again, that's not often!

I think in my case it's more hormone related than diet related as I tried eating really healthy before, lost weight, but my skin wasn't much different!
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2008, 11:03 PM
My spots seem to come when its my time of the month.

Unfortunately my body seems to do this more frequently than once a month, which just doesn't give them chance to heal up. Then i can go 3 months without anything happening.

Tried diannette (contraception) but it made me feel sick every morning after i took a tablet.

I lost 3 stone a couple of years ago, ate really healthy but the spots didn't ever stop at that time.

The only thing is i drink loads and load of coffee a day.
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2008, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by honeysmummy View Post
The best thing is your diet - unfortunatly!!!

NOt too much oil and grease and as i said on another thread CAFFEINE is a major cause of bad skin!!
If you dont drink coffee or tea you will prob never have a spot again (or any other caffeine drinks or foods).
I cant give up choc but dont have anything else with caffeine in it
I have always been told this, but my GP, and then the dermatologist I was referred to, said it makes little or no difference in comparison to hormones and genetics. Should read up really, but I eat pretty well and it's not been something recommended to me by my doc. Will ask when I next go!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2008, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by shiba View Post
My spots seem to come when its my time of the month.

Unfortunately my body seems to do this more frequently than once a month, which just doesn't give them chance to heal up. Then i can go 3 months without anything happening.

Tried diannette (contraception) but it made me feel sick every morning after i took a tablet.

I lost 3 stone a couple of years ago, ate really healthy but the spots didn't ever stop at that time.

The only thing is i drink loads and load of coffee a day.
Mine seem to surface more at that time too, but they can appear at any time of the month.

I only really started drinking tea over the past couple of years. I've had acne since I was around 13, so 10 years. I don't believe caffeine gives you spots, haven't heard it does either and I really don't think it's why my spots surface!

I also drink loads of water every day, which I hope helps a bit!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2008, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
I have always been told this, but my GP, and then the dermatologist I was referred to, said it makes little or no difference in comparison to hormones and genetics. Should read up really, but I eat pretty well and it's not been something recommended to me by my doc. Will ask when I next go!
I've been told from several doctors that chocolate doesn't give you spots, and they have never mentioned caffeine does either. I was also told that eating really healthy can help, but doesn't always clear acne up as it's more a hormonal thing in a lot of cases. I'm sure though that a really healthy diet may help some, but it didn't help me!

My mum had a bit of acne before she had me. Then, during the pregnancy and after she had me, it got a lot better! I don't want to go down that route at the moment though!
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2008, 01:01 PM
pure witch hazel used instead of a toner cleans the skin and dries up the spots.

superdrug sell it for about £1.20 a bottle.

also i've found moisteriser clogs the skin causing spots, so only use it on the dry areas avoiding the T-zone.

stay clear of foundation! Au naturel looks nicer.
DippyLeo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-11-2008, 02:56 PM
I was diagnosed with Acne rosacea (adult acne) about 4 or 5yrs ago and my doctor gave me no advice just put me straight on to limecyclicine (sp?) and when I reacted to that put me on a long term dose of tetracycline, to cut a long story short, I don't want to be on anitbiotics no matter how low a dose for the rest of my life, I have recentley found that taking Sulphur 6c and avoiding facial products with alcohol in them and sodium lauyrel sulphate is making a big difference, I am like alot of people on this thread a caffine addict, I need coffee in the morning, my other triggers are chocolate & spicy food. I also use Aloe Vera Propalis which is again having a good effect. It has taken me a lot of researching to try find out about this condition with NO HELP AT ALL from my Dr's!

If you Google 'Rosacea' you should be able to find the UK Acne Rosacea Website ..... its good to know that there are other people out there going through the same thing, especially when it gets so bad that you just want to curl up and shut the world out cos you're getting so down with how people stare at you as though you're a freak when you go out
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2008, 04:05 PM
They are now saying that caffeine actually affects your hormones and will give you more of the usual PMS symptoms - so I guess its all connected....

I am not saying it will work for everyone but I didnt want to give up coffee - i love it - but after a couple of weeks of giving it up (which was hell - headaches) I saw the biggest improvement on my skin ever, and I had tried nearly everything else, creams etc.

Caffeine also absorbs a lot of calcium and takes it away from your body - leading to osteoperosis (sp!)

It stays in your body for 12 hours so in a lot of cases your body is never without it (a drug).
It will affect your sleep for 12 hours after consuming it and you will never go into a deep sleep, leading you into a vicious circle of being tired cos you drink coffee but needing it to wake you up!!!

I know it sounds like i am preaching but if you read up on it some of the things it can cause are worrying, infertility, miscarriages, heart problems, high blood pressure.......

ETA ....If your body doesnt get a deep sleep it cant repair bad skin...
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >