Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rita1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-12-2013, 06:57 PM

Dry Eye - paper test shows no wetness whatsoever

25 days ago (when she was diagnosed) her readings were about 5 and 9. She's been on Optimmune ever since, but at her check up today results for both eyes were zero. Now I'm worried sick she'll go blind, so would like to hear from anyone else whose dog has had the same reading. Was his/her sight saved? vet didn't say much when I mentioned this - I think because he could see I was upset. I've bought her Optrex spray for eyelids now & Blink intensive tears to use with the Optimmune. When I asked why Optimmune hadn't worked, vet said something about it can't work when no wetness, but can't remember exactly. I know it can take 4 weeks or more to work, but I didn't expect it to get worse. He did say eyes look OK at moment. From what I can gather, the operation doesn't seem to have much success. Sorry, I'm waffling, but can't think straight.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2013, 11:22 PM
Rita Firstly please don't panic when I tell you my experience.Lacey was only diagnosed with dry eye after she took an ulcer on her eye.After trying antibiotics,unfortunately it got worse.She had an operation to try and save her eye,a week later she had to have it removed.She was 9 and it was only because she hadn't been having drops everyday to keep her eyes moist that led to the problems.
Your lucky because you know your dog has the condition and it can be successfully managed.Keep putting the drops in daily and it can be kept under control.Lacey tested zero in both eyes also,but now 8 months later the vet is happy with how her remaining eye looks.I put drops in,3 times a day as recommended.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2013, 11:29 PM
Just to add...vet prescribed Lubrithal eye gel for Lacey.I put a tiny drop of water in a little spray bottle add the gel and just spray it in.Also have used optrex dry eye drops the same way...less stress for her Recomended the gel though it's really good
rita1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-12-2013, 10:32 AM
Lacey, thank you so much for replying. Such a relief to hear one of your dog's eyes is fine with zero & it doesn't necessarily mean blindness. (Katie sensed I was upset driving home from vets & stood on back seat, wrapped paws around my neck & rested her head on mine - which of course made me a total wreck). Thanks for the tip re stuff to use too. Much appreciated.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2013, 11:57 AM
Poor you and what a worry. Great first hand advice from Lacey there for you. Dogsey at its best!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2013, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by rita1 View Post
Lacey, thank you so much for replying. Such a relief to hear one of your dog's eyes is fine with zero & it doesn't necessarily mean blindness. (Katie sensed I was upset driving home from vets & stood on back seat, wrapped paws around my neck & rested her head on mine - which of course made me a total wreck). Thanks for the tip re stuff to use too. Much appreciated.
Her eyesight in her remaining eye isn't great Rita Vet is happy with the fact that its ulcer free and the drops and gel are successfully keeping it from drying out.Thing is her damage was done and it was too late by the time if was discovered.
It is extremely upsetting I totally agree with you but In Katie's case,she's stands a great chance as long as her drops go in every day.Her results have been at zero recently,Lacey's were at that for years undetected
If you see her scratching around her eyes or rubbing against the carpet etc,that's a sign that they are irritating her.You can bath them in a little saline solution and cotton wool,I do that occasionally regardless,keeps the eye area clean
Rita,I know you will,but can't stress how important the drops are,just make sure they go in and she'll be fine
Keep in touch,let me know how she is
rita1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-12-2013, 06:01 PM
Thanks again for your advice. Trouble, is I think Katie has had it for about a year, but useless ex-vets didn't test for it, despite recurring conjunctivitis, so it's very lucky she hasn't developed ulcers. I've noticed already, bearing in mind I've only been using the drops in addition to the Optimmune since yesterday, that not so much gunk is coming out, so hope it does the trick. She's only 4 & if she couldn't run around the garden like a lunatic or play ball, she'd be very miserable.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2013, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by rita1 View Post
Thanks again for your advice. Trouble, is I think Katie has had it for about a year, but useless ex-vets didn't test for it, despite recurring conjunctivitis, so it's very lucky she hasn't developed ulcers. I've noticed already, bearing in mind I've only been using the drops in addition to the Optimmune since yesterday, that not so much gunk is coming out, so hope it does the trick. She's only 4 & if she couldn't run around the garden like a lunatic or play ball, she'd be very miserable.
Was neglectful of the vet Such a simple test too Anyway,sounds like you've caught it in good time(( hugs))
rita1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-02-2014, 08:29 PM
Latest on Katie is that Optimmune didn't work due to her zero reading. Am now trying Tacrolimus, but 4 weeks on, still zero. Am putting in artificial tears 5 or 6 times a day, but, despite this, she now has an ulcer. Vet thinks it's small, but it was very difficult to open her eye enough for him to have a good look. Am really frightened she'll go blind, as, if this ulcer heals up, presumably more will come, & I don't see what more I can do to protect her. I'd have the saliva transfer op done if vet recommends it, but it doesn't seem to be very satisfactory & apparently dogs have to be fed every 2 hours to activate saliva in eyes. As far as artificial tears are concerned, vet recommended Clinitas Soothe & internet says hyaluronate eye drops such as Clinitas are superior to those containing carbomer molecules, so she has that alternated with Lubrithal.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2014, 09:05 PM
Hi Rita,
The newest medical therapy for corneal ulcers is Adequan Eye Drops (Rx) mixed with artificial tears to create a solution that is 5% polysulfated glycosaminoglycans (PSGAG). In a recent test, the solution, applied three times a day, improved non-healing corneal ulcers in 85% of the pets treated.
Just been reading this and thought it maybe of interest.Poor wee girl
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »