Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
In all honesty, if people can't be bothered to go and train their dog properly,rather than resorting to inflicting pain(yes I've felt one before we do that one ) then they shouldn't have the dog. If the dog is that much of a problem around sheep...rehome into an urban environment where it will be happier and less stressed. There are so many better options available than shocking a dog.
Personally I don't see rehoming as a preferable option.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by wolfdogowner View Post
Funny enough it was a police instructor of 25 years experience that mentioned about correct usage being ok in certain cases; just shows that not everyone agrees.

Personally I would never use them. The risk of misuse is too great and therefore don't think they should be legal.

With working dogs there is always lots of talk about 'high drive' dogs and how they are different from pet dogs. I have lived with a few high drive dogs. They're still dogs.
When I had a sheep chaser, I spoke with two different police dog instructors - one said it might be worth a shot with professional help and guidance, and the other said not. Everyone has their own opinions.

I would not use an ecollar for anything other than sheep worrying. If I were to use one, I would also seek professional help in the correct use and timing of the collar.

I do agree that dogs are dogs, but disagree that high drive workers are not very different from pet dogs. They are different ... many are considerably different. Have you ever seen footage of the high drive police Malinois that are used in Europe Those are serious dogs!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by skilaki View Post
As I have said, I agree that it is preferable to take the dog to a behaviourist like the one you suggested (provided the methods are kind and effective), or use a long line as a training aid. With the proviso that the long line does not work on all dogs as some soon realise there is no control once the line is off. Mind you a dog hitting a long line at full speed could inflict on it very painful injury (either to the neck, or to its legs tangled in the long line), never mind the injury a handler might sustain being flung to the ground by a strong dog, or an innocent by-stander or dog being caught up in the line).

I don't think keeping the dog on a long line forever is preferable.

I also don't think rehoming the dog is preferable either. Unless the owner knows the prospective new family well there is no guarantee the dog will be in an equally loving home or not be passed on.

If the ecollar is used correctly it is very unlikely that other problems will occur as a direct result - the other problems usually occur as a result of the training not being well thought out, and the shocks being mistimed. That having been said, there will be dogs which are sensitive souls and would fall to pieces if the ecollar is used on them, and obviously that is not an option for them.

I think we have both summed up what we think quite well, and so perhaps our discussion has run its course? I don't think we will persuade each other of our views.
Excellent post - I agree with all you have said.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 03:33 PM
I better shut up now, before I am accused of liking the sound of my own voice!!!
wolfdogowner
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-05-2009, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I agree. A true high drive dog is a different prospect to a lively pet dog though, and does generally need a more experienced and knowledgeable handler.

What has surprised me is that you see many dogs in Schutzhund training with pinch collars on, and most of the police dogs in the US seem to have either pinch or ecollars on, yet the UK police have no problems training their high drive working dogs without the use of such training aids? Does anyone know why this is?
I spent a little time with a UK police dog unit recently and had several long talks about training. The UK police work with RSPCA guidance. This is since the case of a dog dying while being kicked during a training session in Essex; the instructor demanded the dog be kicked into submission as I recall and it died from a ruptured liver (from memory) since this time training has been very strict and people went to prison.

E-collars are forbidden, though some said that they did work on problem dogs in the past. I don't think they use prong collars. But they do use the old 'check' chain. It was explained to me that this was seldom used but was effective in withdrawing a dog from a dangerous situation or a point where control of the animal was reaching its limit. They were dealing with 'high drive' animals for obvious reasons. I can say that they were very good at motivating their animals through play and reward.

I do agree that working dogs do require a different type of training, obviously, and that Mallinois, Bauceron, Czech wolfdog etc can require a lot of control. But then they are not pets.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by skilaki View Post
That is very true - often the fact or claim that the dog is high drive is used as an excuse to use harsh training methods and extreme corrections to compensate for the handlers lack of knowledge of how such a dog can be motivated to comply without the use of force.

That said, I do think that a lot of high drive dogs need more knowledge to handle and train properly (and kindly) than lower drive dogs - which is why of course first time dog owners are often advised not to start off with a higher drive breed of dog.
Yes, well said, agree 100 per cent with you there Skilaki!

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 05:24 PM
The point of training with an ecollar though is that the dog only need have to wear it once or twice and it will never chase sheep again. It is not (usually) a case of having to wear the ecollar for life. I have seen it work for two dogs after just one use and the dogs never chased, or even looked at, livestock again.
I agree that probably can happen but sometimes the dog will only learn about sheep in a certain place, as one owner found out when they used a shock collar in their home area and expected it to transfer to Dartmoor or somewhere - it didn't. The dog chased still, as it had not generalised. Also you can get other problems such as dogs running away from sheep fields in fear or dogs even attacking the sheep. No-one can predict exactly what will happen.

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 05:27 PM
I agree. A true high drive dog is a different prospect to a lively pet dog though, and does generally need a more experienced and knowledgeable handler.

What has surprised me is that you see many dogs in Schutzhund training with pinch collars on, and most of the police dogs in the US seem to have either pinch or ecollars on, yet the UK police have no problems training their high drive working dogs without the use of such training aids? Does anyone know why this is?
Not sure but the police are using more positive methods I believe (since the awful Acer case) and that may be why, also they don't think so much about being dominant over the dog it seems ... and prongs etc are far more accepted than in the Uk, in the Us. Also it may be to do with image as the general public may be upset if they used more aversive techniqus, the enquiry after the Acer case I believe mentioned such equipment as a general problem and suggested kinder methods were used.

"Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 05:29 PM
I better shut up now, before I am accused of liking the sound of my own voice!!!

I get that problem too....

Wys
x
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I agree that probably can happen but sometimes the dog will only learn about sheep in a certain place, as one owner found out when they used a shock collar in their home area and expected it to transfer to Dartmoor or somewhere - it didn't. The dog chased still, as it had not generalised. Also you can get other problems such as dogs running away from sheep fields in fear or dogs even attacking the sheep. No-one can predict exactly what will happen.

Wys
x
It is true that dogs are situational learners, and most do need a couple of repetitions. It would be foolish to just have one session in one location and assume the dog will now not chase sheep wherever it is. I think that once the handler is satisfied that the dog has been turned off sheep he or she would be wise to have his dog wear the collar without the need to use it to ensure that the training has been effective.

However, this can also happen where the dog associates the shock with the place (piece of ground where he is standing) rather than the sheep, owing either to a mistimed correction, or the sheep being too far away at the time of correction for the dog to make the connection.

Moobli, I think that in the US pinch collars are more accepted even for pet dogs - they are on sale in mainstream pet shops (look at the number of dogs who wear them on Cesar Millan's show) so that is probably part of the answer.

As regards the UK police, the Acer case is probably another part of the answer.

Perhaps one of the reasons that in the UK schutzhund dogs wear them, and police dogs generally don't, is that schutzhund dogs for competition purposes need to be much more accurate and precise than police dogs, both in obedience (eg complete attentiveness in healwork) and in bitework (eg quicker 'outs', no dirty nips when barking and holding). Just my thoughts though.

I'll shut up too now lol.
Page 8 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >