View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Hope it all goes well for Sweep in his new home. Poor Glen, at least he gets to stay with you until a new home is found.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2011, 09:17 PM
Great that sweep has found somewhere, hopefully it wont be too long before a suitable home comes along for Glen too. Really hope he gets something soon, somewhere your happy for him to live his life.

At least when that home comes along he is going from a good home to another good home
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2011, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Just an update to say the farmer from Cumbria came today and decided to take Sweep

He sensibly decided just to take one, as he wanted to do a good job with his training rather than trying to train two at once. He also felt Glen probably wasn't forward going enough for him just at the moment ... his daughter did try to change his mind though lol.

So we are going to hang on to Glen until the perfect homes comes along for him ... which will probably be another working one if we are honest.

Thanks again to everyone who showed an interest and wished the boys good luck.
What sort of working home would that be if they're being rehomed due to a lack of interest in sheep?

Just out of curiosity!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2011, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
Hope it all goes well for Sweep in his new home. Poor Glen, at least he gets to stay with you until a new home is found.
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Great that sweep has found somewhere, hopefully it wont be too long before a suitable home comes along for Glen too. Really hope he gets something soon, somewhere your happy for him to live his life.

At least when that home comes along he is going from a good home to another good home
Thanks both. It is no problem to keep Glen here until the right homes comes along as he is happy to come out for walks with my dogs and loves chasing a ball, as well as getting a run on the sheep with one of the older dogs.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2011, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
What sort of working home would that be if they're being rehomed due to a lack of interest in sheep?

Just out of curiosity!
As I said to the non-working homes that were interested in both pups, they will work sheep but just don't have enough power to suit the work we have here on the hill. The land and sheep are quite demanding and hubby likes/needs a dog with plenty of power and push.

Both these pups may make trial dogs for the right person, or (as in the case of Sweep) go to a farm home where the work is more in-bye (fields) and not having to work with wild hill ewes. We will just have to give Glen a bit more time and see how he shapes up, as some take longer to mature than others.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2011, 10:51 AM
Different dogs different locations I imagine due tot he work required, I imagine that is how different breeds of dog evolved....for the terrain and work required, into collie breeds.

Do you know anyone who works, OES, Bearded, rough smooth collies?
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

13-11-2011, 10:55 AM
As I said to the non-working homes that were interested in both pups, they will work sheep but just don't have enough power to suit the work we have here on the hill. The land and sheep are quite demanding and hubby likes/needs a dog with plenty of power and push.

Both these pups may make trial dogs for the right person, or (as in the case of Sweep) go to a farm home where the work is more in-bye (fields) and not having to work with wild hill ewes. We will just have to give Glen a bit more time and see how he shapes up, as some take longer to mature than others.
I know how hard you have worked and how careful you have been to find the boys the right home and I'm sure you will.

Fingers and everything else crossed for Glen
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2011, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
Different dogs different locations I imagine due tot he work required, I imagine that is how different breeds of dog evolved....for the terrain and work required, into collie breeds.

Do you know anyone who works, OES, Bearded, rough smooth collies?
The other shepherd who worked here on the estate favoured Beardies - but never seen OES or Rough/Smooth collies working.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
I know how hard you have worked and how careful you have been to find the boys the right home and I'm sure you will.

Fingers and everything else crossed for Glen
Thanks Nick.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2011, 06:39 AM
The other shepherd who worked here on the estate favoured Beardies - but never seen OES or Rough/Smooth collies working.
Interesting, I wonder if they do work at all anywhere. And why they are not popular as the BC, maybe because the other breeds are more opinionated than Borders.
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >