View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-06-2014, 12:26 AM
Oh Malka, i'm so sorry you have to go through so much. I wish I could help you. Give Pereg a gentle squeeze from me and for yourself. All the best.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-06-2014, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by lorniec View Post
Sorry to hear you had to go through this again so soon, from what you say ram wants the best for Pereg so I'm sure he would only tell you what he thought would be best for her. Make sure you look after yourself so you can look after your girl xx
Thank you. Yes, Ram only wants the best for Pereg - he acts towards her as if she was his own dog. He is still sort of blaming himself not just for putting the Seresto collar, on her which of course was not his fault but the fault of Bayer for omitting vital contra-indications on their instruction leaflets, but also because for over three years he had never actually asked me all the questions about details, what happens, timings etc regarding her seizures until our last visit.

Because I had assumed that she was just a "normal" epileptic who has bad seizures he had not questioned me about them, which he says he should have done as he has never seen her during an episode. But then again I have never telephoned him each time she has a seizure, just when I need to query something - I just make a list of all her seizures from her sz diary and take it with each time we go to the surgery. So he did not realise the severity of it, and neither did I.

As for looking after myself - I am managing. I have to because my beloved girl only has me and she needs me.

Originally Posted by Timber- View Post
Oh Malka, i'm so sorry you have to go through so much. I wish I could help you. Give Pereg a gentle squeeze from me and for yourself. All the best.
Thank you - I will give her extra ear twiddles from you as she loves those!
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

28-06-2014, 09:41 AM
Hope all is still going well for both Pereg and you, Malka.

Thinking of you both.

Hugs xx
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

28-06-2014, 10:23 AM
Thank you Rose - Pereg is back to being Pereg, if you know what I mean. As far as she is nothing had happened because of course she is not aware of it, is she, which is a blessing as I think it would be so distressing for her if she knew about it.
DeeBuzzby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-06-2014, 02:56 AM
Hello Malka,
I'm so sorry to hear that you're having a tough time at the moment. I was following your life with Pereg about a year ago, but haven't been on the website recently as life has been hectic.
It's 3 in the morning and I was thinking about you tonight as it's the third night in a row that my dog Archie has had multiple seizures.
He's 6 years old and has been on meds since his first attack when he was 18 months old. We've managed to get this far with only one seizure every 4-6 weeks for the first few years. More recently he's had a single fit regularly every 2-3 weeks.
Strangely enough, over the last couple of months he hasn't had any fits at all until now. I am seriously worried where we go from here. We're going on holiday for a week in a couple of days time, and Archie has to go into kennels.I'm really worried how he ( and the kennel staff) are going to cope if these seizures continue with the same frequency.
I don't know what to do. Maybe you or some other Dogsey reader can share your thoughts about the chances of these nightly events continuing, or whether his head will, perhaps, settle down. Any comments or advice welcome.
Many thanks.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

29-06-2014, 08:49 AM
Hi Debbie - I am sorry to hear about Archie. What meds/dose is he on, and has anything changed recently that might have triggered these multiple seizures? When you say multiple, how many, how long do they last and does he recover completely in between each one?

The problem with epi dogs is unless they have a fairly regular sz pattern and/or you know what their triggers are, the only certainty is the uncertainty. With Pereg we have never known why she developed epilepsy, being a mutt of unknown origin, therefore we have no idea whether it is genetic or not, and until the latest balagan with the Seresto collar which definitely was the trigger, nothing has ever triggered off a sz before.

I have always said that she seizes when the wires in her brain short-circuit, which Ram reckons is the best way of explaining it, but the problem is that neither of us know why or when [apart from that bdooly Seresto collar].

Has Archie ever had a seizure while he has been in kennels before? Do the staff know what to expect and what to do if a dog seizes? To be honest, since Pereg's epilepsy started she has not even been to the Pension for a few hours daycare so I could go into town or to the shopping centre, even though they have a vet nurse working there and they all know here because I go every few months to stock up from their big store and she just wanders around wherever she wants to - she is quite at home there and comfortable with the owner and all the staff.

But I honestly do not know how I would feel about her having to be kenneled there if I had to be hospitalised. She would not be put in one of the boarding kennels [they only have about 12 I think unless they have built another small block, and each one has a huge room plus a large open run, with regular free runs around the huge secure "garden" area. She would have free run of the place except for at night. And of course her seizures are more likely to be at night although she has been known to crash down at any time.

So if I do not know what I would do with Pereg, I honestly do not know what to suggest to you for Archie, who I hope has settled by now. Speak to your vet, speak to the kennels - and pray that this episode will be well and truly over by the time you go away.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4