Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 06:41 PM
Thank you H

And as I said, I know I worry too much... I'm trying to stop..
Ruthlynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 09:00 PM
I might be wrong Jeanette but that sounds like a lot of fish/fish oil for a dog? :smt102 There's not too much in tuna that they would benefit from anyway but mackrel and pilchards are good once, maybe twice a week. If Murph has a kong, he has it in place of a meal not as well as, even though you have reduced the kibble....and he does tend to make a little smell or two on pilchards!! If you're giving rice and fish to settle her tummy, is it plain white fish?
I'm sorry if I'm confusing you even more, I really don't want to 'cos I know what labs are like for food. I'd fed Murph this evening - a chicken back and my son was sat there with a banana. Now Murph knows not to sit in fornt of someone when they're eating and beg for food....so he sat in front of me and looked across at Ben, then at me as if to say..."he's eating, why can't I?!" and he'd just been fed!!
Have a good sleep and as the lady in Gone With The Wind (oops! ) says..."think about it tomorrow"
TTFN
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-06-2005, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by Dinahsmum
Jeanette
I really understand how Luna is the world to you and you just want everything to be perfect for her, her nutrition to be 100% on top of the science etc but I think (JMO) you worry too much.
I know I keep telling everyone I'm realy old but it's true, we three witches (Mini, SB and me (Sorry ladies!) are a generation older than the majority on DW. When I was growing up there was hardly any prepared dog food. We always had a dog (or two) at home and it was fed table scraps and dog biscuit (the equivalent of shapes etc now - probably Spratts ovals, if I remember correctly). I think there was only Lassie and Chappie in tins (much as now, lots of cereal, solid pink stuff) no gravy-ish 'premium' tins, certainly no kibble. Yet every dog you saw was lean and fit and seemed healthy; don't remember any young dogs being unwell or starved. Think maybe there's just too much choice now and it can confuse people.
I hope you get this sorted. Do you think Luna maybe has too much to eat? It's very easy to pile it on - 'I love you, have more food, Mummy loves you, look what Mummy got you/made you'.
I dunno Jeanette - you shouldn't have the digestive problems you have with a young, fit, dog. Let's hope the fish'n'rice sorts the immediate problem out and givs you the chance to Burns or barf.
Good luck - don't throw away the gas-mask just yet!
H

I absolutely agree with DM Too much choice, too much worrying. During & just after the war dogs were lucky to get anything other than scraps and horsemeat, and they were fine on that. And for years after, as DM said, there were few varieties of food, yet the dogs all seemed fit and healthy. I tend to think that the manufacturers are playing on our emotions somewhat ... if you don't feed xxxx premium food then you are a bad cruel owner.

SB (a DW coven member)
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 10:45 PM
Hi Jeanette

As others have said, don't get too hung up on it. You have to play it by ear with regard to meat quantities. I have just found a happy medium for Lokis' weight and age but it will no doubt change and I vary it quite often, depending on his exercise levels, health, appetite, etc.

For instance:

Friday he had no Burns breakfast as he left it so I took it away. Otherwise, he had: AMP raw rabbit mince (contains some crushed bone) and veg in the evening, plus some banana, biscuity treats, pigs ear, tooth chew. (And half my chicken breast )

Saturday he had Burns, cooked beef, veg, salmon, tiny amount of mash, pig's ear, meaty bone, apple.

Today he had Burns, raw chicken, brown rice, pig's ear, biscuit training treat, chew.

I tend to stick to certain things - Burns, meat, veg, brown/wholemeal rice, certain treats and supplements as mentioned before but vary them as circumstances demand.

I also sometimes use Nature Diet packs if, say, we are away with Loki, as it is easier.

Luna might require a different amount of meat/rice, depending on how much exercise she gets and her size. I am home all day so I can walk and play with Loki, plus he is only 9 months old, so maybe his requirements are different.

Hope you find something to suit but don't worry too much. And remember to introduce new foods gradually, not like I did with beef and had the runs to contend with today)
xxx
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2005, 06:08 AM
Originally Posted by Ruthlynn
I might be wrong Jeanette but that sounds like a lot of fish/fish oil for a dog? :smt102 There's not too much in tuna that they would benefit from anyway but mackrel and pilchards are good once, maybe twice a week. If Murph has a kong, he has it in place of a meal not as well as, even though you have reduced the kibble....and he does tend to make a little smell or two on pilchards!! If you're giving rice and fish to settle her tummy, is it plain white fish?
I'm sorry if I'm confusing you even more, I really don't want to 'cos I know what labs are like for food. I'd fed Murph this evening - a chicken back and my son was sat there with a banana. Now Murph knows not to sit in fornt of someone when they're eating and beg for food....so he sat in front of me and looked across at Ben, then at me as if to say..."he's eating, why can't I?!" and he'd just been fed!!
Have a good sleep and as the lady in Gone With The Wind (oops! ) says..."think about it tomorrow"
TTFN
Hi Ruth

I give Luna a kong everyday, as a prevention if so to speak... Last year she felt that the walls needed to be another shape and the carpet shouldnt be in the hall.. As I disagreed with her, I asked for advice on here, and was suggested the miracle of all miracles: the Kong!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And it has done wonders. Of course it could be combined with her growing up, but I'm slightly hesitant to stop giving her the kong.

Yesterday evening I made a huge batch of rice and fishdumblings, and put it in the kongs, so she only get her food these days..

I honestly dont know what kind of fish these fishdumblings are made of But they are white balls. Here's a pic of a can:

he he he he VERY FUNNY!!!! rofl..

Thank you Ruth

J
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2005, 06:15 AM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
I absolutely agree with DM Too much choice, too much worrying. During & just after the war dogs were lucky to get anything other than scraps and horsemeat, and they were fine on that. And for years after, as DM said, there were few varieties of food, yet the dogs all seemed fit and healthy. I tend to think that the manufacturers are playing on our emotions somewhat ... if you don't feed xxxx premium food then you are a bad cruel owner.

SB (a DW coven member)
Hi SB

I know and I've said so myself many times. We have too many choices.

When I was 16 we got a labrador, Bonnie lived to be 11 and was fed kibble soaked in water (the kibble was bought in the local supermarket). Bonnie looked great and had a great life.

And I know I worry too much, and believe me, it ticks me off... I'm trying really hard NOT to, but its hard.

I now worry if it is ME who have ruined Luna's tummy, by giving her all these different kind of kibble

No matter what has happened, something has happened and its up to me to make it better. Now if that means me having to cross a few scary "borders" then so be it.

I cant go back now, can I??

As always thank you for your input SB
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2005, 06:19 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star
Hi Jeanette

As others have said, don't get too hung up on it. You have to play it by ear with regard to meat quantities. I have just found a happy medium for Lokis' weight and age but it will no doubt change and I vary it quite often, depending on his exercise levels, health, appetite, etc.

For instance:

Friday he had no Burns breakfast as he left it so I took it away. Otherwise, he had: AMP raw rabbit mince (contains some crushed bone) and veg in the evening, plus some banana, biscuity treats, pigs ear, tooth chew. (And half my chicken breast )

Saturday he had Burns, cooked beef, veg, salmon, tiny amount of mash, pig's ear, meaty bone, apple.

Today he had Burns, raw chicken, brown rice, pig's ear, biscuit training treat, chew.

I tend to stick to certain things - Burns, meat, veg, brown/wholemeal rice, certain treats and supplements as mentioned before but vary them as circumstances demand.

I also sometimes use Nature Diet packs if, say, we are away with Loki, as it is easier.

Luna might require a different amount of meat/rice, depending on how much exercise she gets and her size. I am home all day so I can walk and play with Loki, plus he is only 9 months old, so maybe his requirements are different.

Hope you find something to suit but don't worry too much. And remember to introduce new foods gradually, not like I did with beef and had the runs to contend with today)
xxx
Hi

I really do try not to worry.. Maybe its also cos there's just me around. I might have to much time on my hand so I think and worry....

Thank you soo very much for all of your inputs... I'm so thankful you have taken your time to do this.

And heck, if Burns wont come to me, I'll just might have to come to Burns

I'll copy all of this, and will give all of your replies (everybody's) a very thorough read....

And again THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH, I'M SOOO GRATEFUL

J
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

27-06-2005, 07:50 AM
If, I had the problems you are describing Jeanette I would start feeding minced/ground chicken frames with mashed/pureed, lightly steamed veg. I would cut out anything containing wheat. I would feed only that for four days - no extras at all, no commercial treats, kibble, etc. I would then replace one of the chicken meals with raw lamb/mutton & veg and see how she goes. I would not feed beef, veal, or horse in any form as many dogs can be allergic to them. If she improved on the chicken & lamb diet then I would consider introducing beef again to see if it had any deleterious effect. You could also feed fish + veg for one meal. I would use cooked lamb's liver or cheese for treats, nothing manufactured. I would bake my own biscuits (you can substitute rice flour in most biscuit recipes). I would supplement with a few drops of flaxseed oil, a Vit E tablet, and kelp. I would also cut out the rice addition to the meal. If she seems hungry then give extra veg or some fresh fruit.

I am not an expert in canine nutrition but that is what I would try, assuming she is in good health and not under weight.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2005, 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
If, I had the problems you are describing Jeanette I would start feeding minced/ground chicken frames with mashed/pureed, lightly steamed veg. I would cut out anything containing wheat. I would feed only that for four days - no extras at all, no commercial treats, kibble, etc. I would then replace one of the chicken meals with raw lamb/mutton & veg and see how she goes. I would not feed beef, veal, or horse in any form as many dogs can be allergic to them. If she improved on the chicken & lamb diet then I would consider introducing beef again to see if it had any deleterious effect. You could also feed fish + veg for one meal. I would use cooked lamb's liver or cheese for treats, nothing manufactured. I would bake my own biscuits (you can substitute rice flour in most biscuit recipes). I would supplement with a few drops of flaxseed oil, a Vit E tablet, and kelp. I would also cut out the rice addition to the meal. If she seems hungry then give extra veg or some fresh fruit.

I am not an expert in canine nutrition but that is what I would try, assuming she is in good health and not under weight.
Hi SB

I have to say you are a STAR!!!!

I will copy this and go shopping

She is in good health (apart from the gas and breath issues ) and looks great. She could loose 2-4 pounds without getting thin...

Again thank you

J
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

27-06-2005, 08:16 AM
Hi Jeanette

A raw-ish diet should cure the gas and the breath problems. But, just to make sure about the bad breath, have you had a good look in Luna's mouth? Food trapped in the teeth or in the lip folds, or between the the gums and the sides of the mouth can cause a smell, as can a bad tooth or any infected cut in the mouth.

Good luck
SB
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >