Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JackieandMia
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-08-2011, 07:22 AM
Do you mean hollow like this

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Also does it look like this where it's seperated(I know her outta her claw is still attached)

I would check underneath all her nails to check none are starting to look hollow just in case.
I know you say you saw her do it but "if" it was SLO and she caught the nail it would pull it off.

Will await to see your pics but i agree with the others that she needs to see a vet.
peanutbutter16
New Member!
Female 

03-08-2011, 05:24 PM
Ouch.

It looks slightly like the first picture, except the quick is out of the claw completely and attached underneath it. It looks like she has two claws, the "Shell" and the fleshy quick.

I've soaked her foot 3 times, at least 8 minutes each time. The second time I tae her foot out and the nail was wrenched up somehow and it was pointing straight up. I thought it would fall off at the root, but it didn't. It could at any time though; it's very loose. Is it good for the nail to fall off? That's what would happen if I wrenched my fingernail off the quick right? And also what the vet would do, just take it off?

anyways, I will continue to soak her foot until I get home. It seems to be bothering her much less now that I've started; she's barely even licking it anymore.

I will post pics ASAP.

What is SLO exactly? I know it's where the toenails rot off but how do they get it? is it genetic? What breeds have it?
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 06:09 PM
Well - what stands out for me is that you are a lovely caring owner who wants to do the best thing for Lana. People like you are lovely It must be very hard when the finances are just not there.

Good luck with finding out about a vet who will let you pay as and when you can......these dogs can be such a worry can't they. I hope that everything clears up quickly one way or another.
JackieandMia
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by peanutbutter16 View Post
Ouch.

It looks slightly like the first picture, except the quick is out of the claw completely and attached underneath it. It looks like she has two claws, the "Shell" and the fleshy quick.

I've soaked her foot 3 times, at least 8 minutes each time. The second time I tae her foot out and the nail was wrenched up somehow and it was pointing straight up. I thought it would fall off at the root, but it didn't. It could at any time though; it's very loose. Is it good for the nail to fall off? That's what would happen if I wrenched my fingernail off the quick right? And also what the vet would do, just take it off?

anyways, I will continue to soak her foot until I get home. It seems to be bothering her much less now that I've started; she's barely even licking it anymore.

I will post pics ASAP.

What is SLO exactly? I know it's where the toenails rot off but how do they get it? is it genetic? What breeds have it?
Do you mean like this

My vet just removed the first 2 but all the others came off on their own but she was on full meds and painkillers as it's very painfull.

SLO is an auto immune disease where the body attacks the nails as it sees them as foreign objects and is for life. There's no proof what causes it and although some breeds are more prone to it it can happen in any breed whatsoever.

Doesn't mean your dog has it but if he does he really does need to start treatment.
peanutbutter16
New Member!
Female 

03-08-2011, 10:10 PM
Thank you Bitkin

Yes! Just like that! It shifted back to the position it was in before. She's still walking normally and hasn't licked it for hours. I soaked it again and I think she enjoys the soaking. Probably because lots of treats are involved...
Anyways, I'm worried now. I've been looking at her feet and her claws seem seriously overgrown. I can't believe I haven't cut them all this time, they are super disgusting and long. Could that be why that one split? She scuffed them up on the pavement playing with her pup friend today and chipped one, but just the edge. i am going to cut them. *Shame*.

JackieandMia, what are other symptems? Do they start hurting and falling off one by one? Do they all start falling off at once? Is it only the nails? If they all fall off and then grow back, will they fall off again? Is it good for the toenails to fall off once they're loose? How do you know a toe is about to come loose from the quick? Sorry if that's a lot of questions.
Right now none of the other toes hurt (except for being WAY too long) , which is good.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Having long nails probably makes them more likely to catch and break but Ruperts were very short when he broke his. He broke his either on a flat, grassy field or on the road walking to or from the field. He never limped on it once.
JackieandMia
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-08-2011, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by peanutbutter16 View Post
Thank you Bitkin

Yes! Just like that! It shifted back to the position it was in before. She's still walking normally and hasn't licked it for hours. I soaked it again and I think she enjoys the soaking. Probably because lots of treats are involved...
Anyways, I'm worried now. I've been looking at her feet and her claws seem seriously overgrown. I can't believe I haven't cut them all this time, they are super disgusting and long. Could that be why that one split? She scuffed them up on the pavement playing with her pup friend today and chipped one, but just the edge. i am going to cut them. *Shame*.

JackieandMia, what are other symptems? Do they start hurting and falling off one by one? Do they all start falling off at once? Is it only the nails? If they all fall off and then grow back, will they fall off again? Is it good for the toenails to fall off once they're loose? How do you know a toe is about to come loose from the quick? Sorry if that's a lot of questions.
Right now none of the other toes hurt (except for being WAY too long) , which is good.
I'm tired just off to bed so will answer best i can.

Long nails was one of the first signs my dog had she never had to have her nails cut in over 6 yrs and suddenly they seemed long. When looking back and knowing what i know now they get long suddenly before they come off. My dog also did lick a lot at times but not every nail and also limped but not all the time.

No when they come off that's not the end as i said this is for life and has to be kept under control. EVERY case is different Mia lost all hers painfully over a few months like in some of my pics whole shells came off at once and she is currently losing them again but only splitting mainly this time but she has been on all meds since Oct. Once they're loose you have no chance of stopping them they're gone and it can't be reversed.

As for how did i know which one was next well apart from the long nail i just looked underneath the nail and you can see a gap between the outta shell and the underneath small nail/quick like the gap you see in one of the pics i posted.

Hope this helps. Post some pics if you can.

Not sure about where you are but here it's relevatly rare so some vets will not pick up on it quickly.
peanutbutter16
New Member!
Female 

04-08-2011, 03:40 AM
Bad news- I foolishly let Luna play on the rocks and pavements with Athena and it scuffed up her claws really bad. her dew claw is split from the quick (I don't think she's noticed yet though, I can pretty much touch it without her flinching) Also another claw is looking like it might come in half.

I'm very concerned now. I did think her claws looked eerily long even for her who has always had long, very thick claws. They still are very thick (Is that good or bad?) but seem like they got longer and they also look a bit dried out, but that may just be because the rocks were covered in dust.
I honestly, honestly, cannot afford a vet visit right now, much less putting her on pain medicine the rest of her life. Unless I find a vet who would let me pay in small installments. Very small installments. For ever.

The soaking has eased Luna's discomfort with her sore, but it is really not looking pretty. Still angry and red and glossy. I am going to soak it again now.
She is not limping but is walking a bit gingerly, like she's walking over wood chips. Poor girl
JackieandMia
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-08-2011, 05:46 AM
I really don't know what to suggest because she does need a vet. The pain meds won't be for the rest of her life but she will need them now (just when needed when it's under control) and if that toe you mentioned has got an infection she will need antibiotics pretty quickly because it can spread and can affect the joints.
She will have to stay on other meds for the rest of her life but these are supplements which can be bought over the counter at health food shops if you can't afford vets prices for dogs supplements.

It still might turn out she doesn't have SLO but even from your very first post the way you described it it did sound like it to me and now with the others going the chances are even higher.

Could you not call your vet and explain your situation and see what they say?
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2011, 08:47 AM
Sorry but without having a go...

YOU HAVE TO GO TO A VET!!!!

No one can help you on here with this, we cant see what the nail looks like. Your dog may be suffering and not showing it, some dogs hide their pain extremely well!!!!

If you cant afford to get her seen now or in the future, you must really ask yourself some serious questions about keeping her.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >