View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
boxergoggins
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-06-2011, 05:14 PM
Am sending the biggest but gentle-ist hugs to both of you...

Fingers crossed she picks up as time goes by...
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2011, 06:23 PM
Sending loads of hugs your way and I'm sure she'll feel so much better with a few days rest you'll see.

((Hugs & Kisses))

Heidi
Ollies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-06-2011, 07:28 PM
Thinking of you both and sending you BIG HUGS
Hope she starts to improve with lots of T.L C from you
Maureen
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2011, 07:37 PM
So sorry to be reading all this about your poor old girl, and I'm sending everything I've got that the meds will start to help her recover properly. It must be heartwrenching Hayley to see your baby like this, but stay positive, they know what they're talking about when they said the meds will take a day or two. I'm sure you expected her to be much better than she is when you picked her up, but hopefully, if she's kept quiet, she'll be back to normal soon enough. Got everything crossed here for you, fingers and all paws.xxxx
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Thank you everyone for your get well wishes for Tara.

She has steadily improved over the past few days, we now have a definitive diagnosis of vestibular syndrome, probably brought on or worsened by her collision with Max a few weeks ago.

Her nystagmus is much improved although it is still there slightly, and she still has a head tilt to the left which is unchanged from when she had the episode. Sometimes it is worse than others, which tends to be first thing in the morning when she wakes up and when she gets tired. She is still very weak and stumbly to the left hand side which again is worse at those times of day.

She's not had any more vomiting since I brought her home, but she is having motion sickness tablets every day. Not sure how she will do when these stop but hopefully she will be ok as her eyes aren't as bad.

For the first couple of days she hardly drank at all and didn't eat a thing, she is now drinking well again which is good.

My problem now I can hardly get her to eat. Some days I can't get her to eat anything, on good days such as today I can maybe get her to eat half a tin of wet food. I have tried everything I can think of, various tinned foods, cooked chicken, fish, pasta, rice, pork but she's just not really interested ordinarily I would just pick the food up if she hadn't eaten it but she's lost so much weight already in the space of a week I just need to get her to eat something. She seems to eat better if hand fed so I'm resorting to this at the moment, and anything with medication in it is a complete no (she's on stuff for her liver disease, arthritis and incontinence already which are all powders and liquids that have to go in food). I'm managing to get her tablets down her for her vestibular but nothing else.

Just keeping my fingers crossed that she starts eating soon, and that if she does I can get her back to taking the other meds. I guess I may just be looking at quality of life rather than quantity if I can't
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 11:38 PM
don't know if it's of any help, but after both bouts of vestibular disease that my lad has had, I had to hand feed him for around a week after each episode. I also had to hold his water bowl to his mouth. He seemed to be struggling to 'find' the bowls and was becoming vary wary of them so hand feeding and holding the water to his mouth seemed to allow him to calm enough to eat and drink. Gradually, I weaned him back onto having both food and drink in the normal way from his bowls.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2011, 05:36 PM
Oh how awful it must be for you to see her like this, but once she starts eating I hope she'll be fine and you won't have to be thinking down those lines yet.

I have the same trouble with Georgie and his meds, a mere sniff of them in his dinner and he won't touch it. What about putting the medicine in some live yoghurt if she likes that, coz it should disguise it enough, plus the live yoghurt will line her stomach a bit more for those meds. Mashed potato is also a good disguise, coz it's sticky and they can't spit it out so easily? Sardines or pilchards are high on the temptation list, nice and smelly, so try some of those in her food to tempt her. I found liver sausage good for disguising pills, but of course, you need her to actually eat some food before giving them to her otherwise you could end up with more problems.

Scrambled egg? Nice and soft, feed it warm it might tempt her?

I've been down this road so many times with my sick dogs in the past, hope some of that helps and all the very best with her, I do hope she improves for you, but at least she's drinking now, so that's an improvement.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Oh Hayley, I'm so sorry I missed this thread. I'm glad that Tara is back home with you and have everything crossed that she carries on improving and regains her appetite.x
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 07:57 PM
Hey everyone, sorry for my absence. Started a new job a few weeks back and my life has been a whirlwind ever since!

Well it's been just over a month and I'm happy to say my girl is doing well She is now back to eating properly, although the meds are still a big fat no! She's having her vestibular tablets and her propalin but the rest she will avoid like the plague, rather starve than eat anything with those in, so we've given up with the others for now. Until last week she still had her head tilt which was unchanged, and then suddenly one morning I came down to a not so wonky dog She's still a bit tilted but much better than before. She still has the weakness but her balance is better and she's enjoying some gentle strolls on her lead every day!

Those dogsey vibes work just like magic Thank you all so much! I know it's only a matter of time before it strikes again, but for now I'm happy with my special princess back
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 08:07 PM
Wonderful news Hayley - thanks for the update

x0x
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >