View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 08:22 AM
Worked up to 8 nuggets yesterday and he was sick last night.

Back to 6 nuggets this morning.

If he can't cope with complete I will just have to keep him on meat only.
Tripe he can eat raw but other meats need to be cooked which can be a pain but needs must.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 08:52 AM
We are still struggling here with Sonnys stomach.

We have had two serious bouts that needed me taking him to the vets since I last posted.

First one was my fault, he got a bit of sausage. He had two injects and he was like a spring lamb 1/2 hour after followed by a course of Prednisolone, Metronidazole and Probiotics.

I gave three days of Panacur just in case and treated all the dogs in the house just incase. But if it was something like Gardia I think my other dogs would be showing signs also.

He has finished his medication and two days later started with diarrhea again. No blood or mucous just like water, so I poached some fish in water and gave him that for his tea and he chucked that up and had diarrhea still.
He has lost loads of weight, his normal weight was 19 kg he has been down to 15kg went up to 16kg and is now 15.5 kg.

He has never had any allergies through his life but he seems to have a very strong reaction to any grain.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Some suggestions to consider:

Hilton Herbs have some supplements which may help:

http://www.hiltonherbs.com/categories/digestion/16

Adding digestive enzymes to his diet (ie just a capsule you can shove down his throat) sometimes this helps.

Adding probiotics to the diet, again capsules which do not need refrigeration, can help ensure the correct balance of gut flora especially when given with prebiotics (eg a banana) or you could give him a small tub of live uoghurt (yeo valley) with a banana mashed in for breakfast.

L-Glutamine is another supplement to consider as is a Vitamin B Complex supplement.

All of the above can be purchased OTC at any good chemist or health food shop.

Has SIBO and EPI deffo been ruled out ?
Oh dear, I am assuming SIBO and EPI has been ruled out.

Have you also looked here for ideas/advice?

http://www.dogaware.com/health/digestive.html
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 09:49 AM
he has been having probiotics, I used to get the ones from the health food store but the last lot I got from the vet, Proflora.

I tried to find pumkin but I think that will have to wait until it comes in season as I can't find it in cans in the shops, even online it seems they are either old sites but I also think the canned pumkin has suger in it which may not be good.

I think the next thing is to look for EPI, he has had other blood tests but I think they were just basic ones.

What ever it is it seems to be getting worse as the symptoms seem to be coming more sevier and more frequently.

I have given him an Immodium this morning with his breakfast and he seems fine right now.
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-08-2011, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
he has been having probiotics, I used to get the ones from the health food store but the last lot I got from the vet, Proflora.

I tried to find pumkin but I think that will have to wait until it comes in season as I can't find it in cans in the shops, even online it seems they are either old sites but I also think the canned pumkin has suger in it which may not be good.

I think the next thing is to look for EPI, he has had other blood tests but I think they were just basic ones.

What ever it is it seems to be getting worse as the symptoms seem to be coming more sevier and more frequently.

I have given him an Immodium this morning with his breakfast and he seems fine right now.
Ask your vet about Sulfasalazine
http://www.peteducation.com/article....2+2090&aid=305
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 04:16 PM
After giving him the immodium yester day he was fine yesterday but has just had a bad poo with blood in it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am a bit unsure about the Sulfasalazine as it says use with caution due to the tear duct problems, I don't want to add to his issues.

I think a good long talk with my vet is my next step. When I first went with him she had a strong feeling we were dealing with a cancer so I guess we need to take a look at what we have been doing and decide the way forward now.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3