View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 05:03 PM
Forgot to say that I wanted to go completely BARF but was worried about not giving enough vitamins etc. so I compromised with a Burns breakfast and a raw or cooked meal - sometimes with, sometimes without rice - in the evening, plus a raw egg or two a week and a big meaty bone once a week and it seems to be working well.

Occasionally a bit of mashed spud too.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 05:13 PM
Thank you very much

I'm printing this out.. So I can read through it again
Ruthlynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 05:22 PM
Hi Jeanette,
Just to say that you will get it sorted in your own mind eventually. When I started raw/natural:barf:whatever I read and read and read some more. I still read 'cos it interests me. Raw feeding really isn't difficult - just takes a bit more organisation! I read in earlier posts that you like to be in control - well, the joy of feeding this way is that you are totally in control!! Maybe that's the scary bit!
Here in France, there are no raw feeding outlets for prepacked barf so I've had to make my own...probablly why I want to switch now....after months of mincing down liver and off cuts of meat and mixing in a huge bowl with eggs,garlic, yoghurt and veggies and anything else that needs using up!
I'm sure Luna will do well on her chicken and rice and hopefully Mr Burns can supply it for you after that!

TTFN
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 05:39 PM
Thank you LS and Ruth

I've got something to think about now

And yes I like to feel I'm in control, but actually feel like I'm losing rather than gaining control by going raw
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 06:24 PM
Jeanette
I really understand how Luna is the world to you and you just want everything to be perfect for her, her nutrition to be 100% on top of the science etc but I think (JMO) you worry too much.
I know I keep telling everyone I'm realy old but it's true, we three witches (Mini, SB and me (Sorry ladies!) are a generation older than the majority on DW. When I was growing up there was hardly any prepared dog food. We always had a dog (or two) at home and it was fed table scraps and dog biscuit (the equivalent of shapes etc now - probably Spratts ovals, if I remember correctly). I think there was only Lassie and Chappie in tins (much as now, lots of cereal, solid pink stuff) no gravy-ish 'premium' tins, certainly no kibble. Yet every dog you saw was lean and fit and seemed healthy; don't remember any young dogs being unwell or starved. Think maybe there's just too much choice now and it can confuse people.
I hope you get this sorted. Do you think Luna maybe has too much to eat? It's very easy to pile it on - 'I love you, have more food, Mummy loves you, look what Mummy got you/made you'.
I dunno Jeanette - you shouldn't have the digestive problems you have with a young, fit, dog. Let's hope the fish'n'rice sorts the immediate problem out and givs you the chance to Burns or barf.
Good luck - don't throw away the gas-mask just yet!
H
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-06-2005, 06:34 PM
If as the vet says Luna has a sensitive stomach you should try and feed a wheat, gluten free food and preferably with no corn/maize in it. Thats the advice I was given for Star's stomach
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 06:35 PM
Hi Hilary

I KNOW I worry too much....

And I had actually finally decided to put a stop to it. So I went back to a kibble, I knew she had tried before without problems.. I thought!!!!

I will give her this rice and fish untill I hear from Burns, and if he wont or cant ship food over here, I'll go on barf and we'll settle down.

I really dont want to worry this much..

Oh and no I dont think she gets too much. I'm very observant on this.. as she's a labrador.

This is wot she has in a day (untill friday):

Breakfast: 150 grams of kibble, ½ teaspoon of garlic powder

A frozen kong with a mix of canned tuna, mackarel and yogurt (I make 5 kongs (2 large and 3 x-large) out of 1 can of tuna, 1 can of mackarel and some yogurt)

Dinner: 150 grams of kibble, 2 splashes of fishoil and ½ teaspoon of fishoil

That's it really.... She has a rawhide chew, which she might chew on for a few minutes at bedtime..

She doesnt really get any treats... Yes on sundays, but then she isnt having all of her breakfast..

Once in a while she gets a pig ear.

She should have about 165 grams of kibble, but I've taken some off, as she's having a kong...
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by Carole
If as the vet says Luna has a sensitive stomach you should try and feed a wheat, gluten free food and preferably with no corn/maize in it. Thats the advice I was given for Star's stomach
Ooh I really want to Caz, but that food is not available in Denmark. There is atleast one of these things in all of the foodbrands

Which is why I would love to get a hold of Burns
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 06:40 PM
Good luck - let's hope you hear from Burns tomorrow. x
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-06-2005, 06:40 PM
Jeanette

I hope you find an answer. It sounds like raw might be worth trying.
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >