View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 09:46 PM
Here is an example; just now we were doing some tricks on the carpet and playing fetch with the kong wubber. All of a sudden she freaked herself out. Here is a video.

(The OH is throwing treats on the floor to demonstrate her cautiousness moving around the center of the floor - she has not done this in that area before)

This sort of behavior is becoming worse and more frequent.
She is now currently walking round the carpet and floor fine, taking things out of the toy box.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 10:07 PM
I may be off my trolley but was it the light on the floor that was bothering her (or reflection of something)?
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I may be off my trolley but was it the light on the floor that was bothering her (or reflection of something)?
I did wonder that but she displayed fearful behavior on the carpet as well, and had been happy fetching the wubba from in front of the reflection before she became worried. The TV is on most of the time and she usually walks in front of it with no issues at all.

That could be it in this case as she was scooting around the area near the reflection, this was just a demonstration as to the random things that suddenly crop up. She has lived here and fetched things from around the whole house for 16 months so it would be odd if that had been the trigger - but not impossible!
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 10:36 PM
... was not the reflection. Turned the TV off and tried some more tricks on the rug. All was fine until I asked for a bow, then she all of a sudden couldn't stand in the spot she was in and ran away from the carpet Will try again tomorrow but these things are definitely getting more frequent.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 12:39 AM
hmm odd, she did seem to be skirting around the reflection

Not good that the freaking outs are getting more frequent

All I can think is something unrelated is happening that she dosent like and she is almost making a superstition about it
I was just thinking about my friends autistic brother, he got scared of random things and it turend out that he was freaking out with the sound of the heating clicking on, but he was associating it with whatever he was doing at the time

So if there is a noise - or even if she had a wee twinge of pain or something and then because a bit freaked out by where she was when it happened???
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 11:53 AM
That's interesting about your friends bother, I will have to try and video more of them right from the start to try and identify the trigger presuming there is one.
I did wonder about pain but when have seen no other symptoms and when she's out in the park etc shes fine.

That was a tricky one as it was near the reflection but it happened later on the rug with no reflections around at all and a similar thing happened in the bedroom a couple of weeks back.
I also wondered about whether her paws are slipping but seeing as she has done it on rugs, the floor is no different than it has ever been and it is in isolated sections I've kind of discounted that.

I think once she has a moment of fear she does then get herself in to a bit of a state where it becomes a bit irrational. It's just working out what causes the fear in the first place in these instances, but just generally I think she is getting anxious more often and easily.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 01:13 PM
I think you really need to speak to your vet re thyroid panel and if they won't send it off to Hemopet you can do it yourself.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I think you really need to speak to your vet re thyroid panel and if they won't send it off to Hemopet you can do it yourself.
I will, I'm seeing him on Thursday so will speak to him then.
Shall I just write down everything you have said in the thread or is there extra info regarding thyroid testing I should give him?
I had a look on the hemopet website and may have missed it but didn't see much additional info regarding to thyroid testing.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Just got back from the vets and he is happy to put her on a 6 week course of thyroxine and see whether it has any effect, so I will keep a diary charting her behavior.

Even if it does nothing he said it shouldn't have any side effects and at least it is ruled out - medically he's interested to see how it goes.

Will keep you posted.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 07:32 PM
Keep us in the loop, if it has no effect at least that is something you can rule out and concentrate on behavioural modification.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3