Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Phill
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-03-2006, 01:18 AM
Originally Posted by shady73
i have a harness that go,s round my gsd he loves it on but you dont have control of there head but can still stop the pulling
could try one of them
I would like to stop the pull if i can.
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2006, 02:12 AM
we use a halti with dudley while we are training him to walk to heel (a very slow process ) and we find he really has no problems with it at all. I would love to try a canni collar actually - as the halti seems to pull at his eye... he won't stop pulling even with the halti - but it takes his weight off us a bit the canni collar dosn't appear to affect the eyes like the halti does.

that said, nothing can ever compensate for good obedience training and heelwork

xx
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2006, 09:52 AM
I've tried one this week and it didn't go down too well either he was fine wearing it, that didn't bother him at all. But as soon as we started walking it was a disaster! he hated having his head pulled round and it sent him into a bit of a frenzy - trying to get it off, swinging round on the lead, licking his neck and having a general panic!
I know it takes time for them to get used to it but personally I didn't like it either. I don't feel very in control just attached to their head

There are some harnesses around that are supposed to stop pulling. I'm goping to give those a go instead!
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2006, 09:56 AM
Would definately recommend a canny collar, we've just got one for Ziggie (not because he pulls but because he can't stand pressure on his throat and putting a harness on him set him into crazy flyball mode ) it's fantastic, he'd had halti's before which were no good on him (though my mums old lab would wear one no problem) the canny collar doesn't rub up into there eyes and puts no pressure on the throat, I couldn't believe it when we went to agility I normally have a bouncing nutter (on and off the course ) but he just stood peacefully and waited his turn - can't recommend them enough
Hazel xx
bessey112
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-03-2006, 11:36 AM
Hi
ive used the Halti as a training aid & its been great Tried the canny collar but my Amy didnt like it yet will wear a halti!!

I used it on Amy to stop her pulling & lunging at vechiles along with treats for good behaviour/walking nicely. I used it for a few months & now have been able to go back to a normal collar on my 8st rotty

I have just started the same training today on my rescue boy Rocky who is nearly a year old.Ive only had him 6 weeks & he is starting to come out of his shell.His foster mum did say he wasnt used to much traffic having lived in the countryside for a few months & boy do i know it!!! His walking to heel is perfect but he has to protect me from everything that passes us when walking. I tried it out today along with treats & i must say i noticed the difference straight away & was able to stop him lunging alot better than when he is on a normal collar

sarah
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2006, 12:30 PM
I found the halti rode up near the eyes to much and they generally kicked up a fuss wearing it BUT! they kick up a fuss with ALL headcollars that I have tried so regarding them not liking it, it is just about perseverance and getting them used to it. The reason I stopped using the halti was because no matter how secure I thought I had it, both dogs could pull free very very easy and although you have the back up safety strap, it was no fun and not very reassuring on the first time we went out using them and Takoda chewed through his safety strap while I was still getting the door shut!

We are using Dogmatic now which they haven't been able to pull free from yet but don't get me wrong they still protest wearing them as much as the halti.

I would do loads of no pulling training while your dog is still a pup and light enough to cope with, do loads of it now because when they hit 6 months they are very strong. And also I would get the pup used to the halti in conjunction, but do all you can in the next month or so because the pulling is not fun when they are big dogs!

need4speed
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-03-2006, 12:53 PM
Would never use such a thing, why force a dog into walking properly when it can be trained to walk nicely with much less distress caused to the dog.
huskadie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-03-2006, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by KickstartKelpies
Would definately recommend a canny collar, we've just got one for Ziggie (not because he pulls but because he can't stand pressure on his throat and putting a harness on him set him into crazy flyball mode ) it's fantastic, he'd had halti's before which were no good on him (though my mums old lab would wear one no problem) the canny collar doesn't rub up into there eyes and puts no pressure on the throat, I couldn't believe it when we went to agility I normally have a bouncing nutter (on and off the course ) but he just stood peacefully and waited his turn - can't recommend them enough
Hazel xx
forgive my ignorance but what is a canny collar and what does it do?
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2006, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by need4speed
Would never use such a thing, why force a dog into walking properly when it can be trained to walk nicely with much less distress caused to the dog.
My boy who weighs 90lbs and is very very strong does walk lovely on a regular collar and leed 95% of the time but you know what sometimes he will see a rabbit or something he wants to get to in a hurry and if it doesn't catch my eye first I can be flat on my back...Which is more distress to me than it is distress to my dog if he wears a head collar at certain times.

If you are not training a dog to walk nicely and just relying on the head collar to banish your worries with pulling then yes headcollars are a cop out but if you use a headcollar but do alot of lead training without it I don't see a problem at all.

When training a dog to walk nicely on lead it takes alot of commitment and every walk you should see to it that the dog does not pull one single time by stopping and changing direction etc etc, but sometimes you just don't have an hour to walk a short distance and in my mind it would be better to put on the headcollar and get to where you are going to without the dog pulling rather than just letting it pull, which will only teach the dog that walking nicely is only an option and not a necessity to get to where you are going.
sez
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-03-2006, 01:55 PM
i use haltis on the 2 danes,they didnt like them,still rub on the ground sometimes,but its the only way i can walk them all,just getting henry used to 1 now,i usually find i dont need them on the way home,just when we set off
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >