View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2006, 05:27 PM
Molly (red setter) stole a big bar(400g!!!!) of chocolate last christmas! I immediately phoned the vets in a panic! They said she should be fine as it was dairy milk. She was fine, didnt even have an upset stomach! I now have to have chocolate under lock and key!
I am glad all was well with you! It is a worry!
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-01-2006, 06:07 PM
Jacek, not that I'm completely sure on this, but I would still keep an eye on him as I think the harmful ingredient in chocolate does not always take affect straight away. Daisy ate nearly 200g of milk chocolate a few months ago and she was fine though, so I wouldn't worry too much, just keep a watchful eye on him. Dark chocolate/cooking chocolate are worse than milk chocolate for dogs I think. Hope all is OK, let us know.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2006, 06:34 PM
The darker and better quality the chocolate the bigger the danger. If it was white or milk I would think he will be fine if it was dark or 70% I would phone the vet. If it was a filled bar the the amount of chocolate will be less than if it was a solid bar.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2006, 06:39 PM
We all have mishaps but in a home where there is a dog chocolate should be treated in the same way as one treats drugs and substances like bleach, well away from where the dog can get.

Not having a go at you when you are already worried and have had simular things happen, you live and learn, my sister once had a bitch eat 100 vallum, both sister and bitch lived to make a mistake another day.
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2006, 07:05 PM
Tara (staffie) ate a whole box of chocolates once, phoned the vet who said she will probably be sick and have a runny tummy....She didn't have either, cast iron stomach staff's!!!No after effects at all!!
JacekPacek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-01-2006, 11:33 PM
well actually it was milka noisette luflee
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2006, 07:52 AM
Well as it is now 12 hours and it looks as if the chocolate was a milk one I would think he will be ok, but keep an eye on him for another 48 hours incase it has some effect on one of his organs.
JacekPacek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-01-2006, 12:36 PM
he looks ok for now except what came out of his bum: it was like chocolate the only thing missing was milka sign on his poo
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2006, 01:11 PM
glad he's ok!!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2