Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-12-2005, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by KickstartKelpies
erm...is it just me that thinks you should be able to feel their ribs?
You should be able to feel their ribs with a thin covering of fat over them.
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2005, 06:38 PM
phew - glad you said that! was thinking oh dear my dogs must be so badly treated you can feel all their ribs!!! I do think some dogs are "meant" to be skinny mind - our ziggie is skinny but is perfectly healthy
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2005, 06:50 PM
I know you're meant to feel their ribs But at the moment Archie hasn't got an ounce of fat on him....
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2005, 07:13 PM
Sounds a normal fit young dog to me. We see a LOT of dogs at work fed on Burns that are too thin, not sure Archie is TOO thin, but remember he has a friend now aswell, so exercise, and energy levels will be higher anyway. Give him boiled rice aswell if you are worried, but I think you will find he is perfectly fit!
Dawn.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2005, 09:01 PM
Yep have been putting boiled rice in his dinner a few times a week He loves rice

Also popcorn he goes mad for it
Meg
Supervisor

31-12-2005, 09:37 PM
Tuti Archie is going through the 'leggy' teenager stage and his body needs to 'drop' ..

If you really think he is thin give two meals a day ..a good thing to put a little weight on is porridge and honey for breakfast (with a little oil if you like) followed by a carrot to clean the teeth. Then whatever he normaly has for his main meal. And of course the odd treat Amy loves Kelties and Fish Bites for treats.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2006, 02:44 PM
Mini he is already on 2 meals a day He doesn't like Kelties that much but we give him the Arden Grange biscuits which are similar... and also the smelly fish4dogs biscuits which he would sell his soul for

I've given him porridge a couple of times and he really liked it So I'll give it to him more regularly now

I think you're right that he's going through the leggy teenager phase.... he just keeps growing upwards but never outwards! At this rate he will end up a lanky giant

I gave him an extra half scoop in his breakfast this morning with a couple of tablespoons of rice.... tomorrow, porridge for breakfast!

ETA maybe Archie is one of those much detested creatures that can eat and eat and eat and never get fat I hate him LOL...

I wonder if the amount of exercise he does means he should be eating an 'active' diet? Or would this make him hyper?
Meg
Supervisor

01-01-2006, 02:48 PM
Tuti rather that growing outwards he will suddenly 'drop' in the body so that he fits his legs
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2006, 02:54 PM
heheh then he won't be able to use Ziggy as a hurdle anymore
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-01-2006, 03:19 PM
Tuti, Poppy is going through a really skinny stage. I posted a thread a month ago on this and have since given her 2 meals a day. Mini mentioned porridge which I'll try next if this doesn't work, but I do think she is starting to gain wait. As she is an oldie, she does worry me when she loses weight, but I'd sooner she was on the thinner side for her heart though. can you post a picture of Archie?
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >