View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Abbey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-12-2005, 05:01 PM
Aww poor thing..its scary how quickly the swelling come up isnt it? I always keep Piriton and Prednisolone in the house, as Vizslas can be quite prone to Urticaria and violent swellings like your dog has suffered from. Re the bill, we charge an out of hours fee if the Vet is called from home, which is different from the fee if the Vet is already at the Surgery..might be worth checking out if your Vet differentiates between the two? Hope Harvey is still recovering well.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

01-01-2006, 07:28 AM
Glad he`s much better now

That was quite a severe reaction he had poor thing! You did the right thing tho getting him to vet asap. You could keep an anti-histamine in the car/your hand bag in case it happens again.

Heres a link with info about them & which 1 to choose

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/food_allergies.html
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2006, 08:49 AM
Glad it has all turned out ok, although an antihistamin injection works quickly this sort of reaction can be life threatening and I would think the vet had to stay with him for a long time to make sure he was responding to treatment. Bet you don't mind the cost now he is home and feeling well.
patterlad
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-01-2006, 08:38 PM
I must admit i would pay through the nose to keep my dogs well and now his home i have forgotten all about the vet bill .Ill think i will take out some pet insurance for all three got to work out cheaper in the long run.
Thanks for your replys everyone.
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2006, 08:43 PM
we also keep piriton in the house as a matter of course, glad he's feeling better now
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-01-2006, 08:55 PM
There must be something in the air.....I have had to take Bandit "twice" in 3 wks to the vet with the same thing, last time on Boxing day.............. he looked exactly the same as Harvey, it is frightening how quick it happen`s...... have`nt got a clue what is causing it though.

My vet gave him a steriod injection and antihistamine tablets, I did ask about keeping Piriton in ,incase it happens again, but my vet says , as it happens so fast , he does not think Piriton will be strong enough to help.......... if it happens again, will ask my vet if he will allow me to keep a steriod injection at home, for emergencies , he used to let me keep stuff at home for the horses
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2