View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
charliegirl1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Hi Tangutica, yes I love my little dog she is all I have really and her walks are important to both of us as we both need the excersise, I was having difficulty last year walking hence why I bought a second hand mobility scooter and we were doing okay but she kept getting run over and it was beginning to worry me a lot as nothing I was doing seemed to help, so I stopped using it and just walk her as usual now on foot. My sister will help me as she is really patient like that and she can walk forever lucky so and so. I wish I could find someone else in my area that has similar mobility issues and walks there dog via a scooter cause maybe we could help one another, oh well one issue at a time I guess. Thanks again.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2012, 11:14 AM
You need to break this down.

First of all, have you trained your dog to maintain a position next to the stationary scooter?
charliegirl1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Heelwork is something I have never been able to achieve successfully not for the want of trying mind you when we go on our normal walk she is a highly energy dog, a terrrier with full on excitement when she knows she is going out, I use a haltie now as otherwise she walks on her back legs only and yaps all the way around on our walk, she is calming down now though and walks much better, but on the scooter she could never go fast enough she would still try and pull hence why she caught the wheel so many times, but I will continue to try with her as I can be very stubborn too, thanks for your reply appreciate it, thanks again.
charliegirl1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-06-2012, 11:23 AM
No smokeybear I dont believe I have, we just started off and like Ive stated she even trys to go faster than the scooter can, I start off very slowely and try and guide her best I can but she wants to gallap and it is really difficult to maintain direction with the scooter while trying to direct her too, but I will continue to try once my sister is here to help me get started properly, any tips you can give me though is much appreciated, my aim is to take her out as often as I can while the weather is good to us. Thanks again.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2012, 11:27 AM
SB is correct. I googled your question after reading this and, apparently, 'training to heel' or wherever you want it to be first is the key.

I've also now read some bad things about the fixed lead thingie - not good to have the dog where it cannot run ahead or you cannot 'let it go'.

But I did find quite a lot of websites for people who use the mobility vehicles and wheelchairs where this was being discussed - and if you like I will put the links to them here.

You are obviously not the first person to raise the question. Some seem to have done brilliantly with this - and as I too am living alone with my dog. I can relate to your enjoyment.

I had a very bad accident a few years back (left leg will never be 100%) but without this dawg I'd probably never have summoned up the fortitude to persist with the (sometimes painful) walking and stretching and all that.

I credit my dog with my progress - I love her so much I'd have to be CRAWLING not to take her out for a walk!

Oh boy you shoulda seen me trying to learn to use a walking stick! Still haven't mastered it! Didn't realise there was a 'knack' to it.

(Did come in handy for banging on the ceiling one time tho!)
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2012, 11:31 AM
but I will continue to try with her as I can be very stubborn too
You go girl! When I first got muttley - vet said she might always be lame. I said 'that's OK I am gimpy too - we will make a fine pair as long as she is not in pain'.

When she made an ASTONISHING recovery he gave me a lecture about 'these dogs' and 'this breed of dog' saying they only
Do what they want to do
Go where they want to go
Eat what they want to eat
Bite everyone
Never stop barking
Tyrants of the mini dog world.

I said 'that's just FINE' I am like that too - EXACTLY like that - we will still make a fine pair - it will be the BATTLE OF THE TYRANTS and I can tell you now who will WIN!

She is now one of his favourite dogs. He calls her the one percent exception lol!

Oh, and my son phoned me and said 'mum, are you completely mad? You live in a 4th floor apartment and have bought a dog that is renowned for barking non stop?'

I said 'You are mistaking me for someone who gives a ***!' Yeah she barks non stop now but I can promise you she won't be doing that much longer!

She didn't only give me the impetus to get out there and do painful walking and exercise, she presented a challenge to me - surrounded by uncontrolled barking dogs as we are - my dawg was gonna be the BEST dog lol!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2012, 11:33 AM
This can be taught, can I suggest you contact SCAS

http://www.scas.org.uk/

And

http://www.assistancedogs.org.uk/

Who will probably be able to provide you with some tips for this.
charliegirl1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Hi Malka,
The scooter is a Victory Pride and sadly I bought it second hand its pretty much dropping to bits but it goes okay, the lights are taped up but otherwise its in good nick and runs pretty good. No actually I bought it through an advisement on my local gumtree site. Cant afford a better quality one or at least not at this time. That is precisely why I got my scooter to ensure if my mobility wasn't up to scratch I could still take her out. Im considering taking my own advice and taking her up to the bigger field later today and see how we get on, will let you know. Thanks again.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2012, 11:38 AM
I was also reading (on some of the discussion forums relating to this) that, if you are not able to train your dog yourself to walk beside a mobility vehicle or wheelchair, there are others who can do the training for you.

I got lost actually in reading lots of stuff written by people who were saying that their dog is now the best thing in their life and how much they enjoy being out with their dog and all that.

I really hope for a good outcome for you with this. I'm glad you've got SmokeyBear on the case! Me - I just twitter on!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2012, 11:40 AM
Dog Aid train owners and their own dogs so might be the organisation of choice for you.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >