Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 12:54 PM
It pees me off though...

I had promised myself I would stop, and feed her this kibble as she has had it before without probs, and then now........ grrrrrrrrr
Ruthlynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 01:02 PM
You know what I'd do?.....go raw now! I know I'm switching from raw but I really do believe that in some cases it is the best thing for the dog. You're almost there and this is just the push you need from the sounds of it. It doesn't have to be expensive, certainly not as expensive as the Hills. If you've got somewhere over there that sells BARF, raw, whatever, then go in tomorrow and see what happens! If Luna reacts like most dogs do on raw, the smelly farts will stop, so will the mushy poos and bad breath....note I said most dogs but what have you got to lose....apart from the bad smells!!

TTFN
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by Ruthlynn
You know what I'd do?.....go raw now! I know I'm switching from raw but I really do believe that in some cases it is the best thing for the dog. You're almost there and this is just the push you need from the sounds of it. It doesn't have to be expensive, certainly not as expensive as the Hills. If you've got somewhere over there that sells BARF, raw, whatever, then go in tomorrow and see what happens! If Luna reacts like most dogs do on raw, the smelly farts will stop, so will the mushy poos and bad breath....note I said most dogs but what have you got to lose....apart from the bad smells!!

TTFN
You are right... And I have actually made myself a promise.. If Burns cant deliver to me.. I'm going raw... And if my friend wont feed her this, then she'll have to be with my mum the weekend I'm going to Birmingham.. Wont be as much fun for her but hey...

Thank you Ruthlynn
Ruthlynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 01:52 PM
When I've been on holiday and Murph has been with friends, I've simply bagged up the food in bags for morning and evening and all they've had to do is pop it in the bowl! I have to say that I've not expected them to feed the bones as that can be a worry for folks if they're not used to it but a few days without the RMB is fine......gosh, this diet sounds so good!....Why am I changing again?!!!

TTFN
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 02:01 PM
see how she goes on the chicken and rice, do that for 2 weeks. if u notice a good difference then maybe barf is for u.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 02:58 PM
Hey Jeanette

I have fed Loki on a Burns meal in the morning and meat/brown rice/veg in the evening since he was 6 months. Lately I have cut down on the rice.

Loki weighs just under 60 lbs, but he is still growing. When feeding rice I usually do two fistfuls of uncooked rice and about 300 - 400 g chicken or fish.
I unclude a fistful of veggies too and a tablespoon of bonemeal, a bit of garlic, drop of fish oil.

This is as well as 1.5 cups of Burns in the morning.

Remember - Burns is meat, brown rice, veg with a few other bits.

Loki gets about 2-3 hours of walks a day.

Could Luna have an ear infection, allergy or mite problem? Is there a discharge? Does she scratch? Are they inflamed?

Could Luna have a lactose problem with the yoghurt? This can cause loose stools in dogs that are enzyme deficient.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star
Hey Jeanette

I have fed Loki on a Burns meal in the morning and meat/brown rice/veg in the evening since he was 6 months. Lately I have cut down on the rice.

Loki weighs just under 60 lbs, but he is still growing. When feeding rice I usually do two fistfuls of uncooked rice and about 300 - 400 g chicken or fish.
I unclude a fistful of veggies too and a tablespoon of bonemeal, a bit of garlic, drop of fish oil.

This is as well as 1.5 cups of Burns in the morning.

Remember - Burns is meat, brown rice, veg with a few other bits.

Loki gets about 2-3 hours of walks a day.

Could Luna have an ear infection, allergy or mite problem? Is there a discharge? Does she scratch? Are they inflamed?

Could Luna have a lactose problem with the yoghurt? This can cause loose stools in dogs that are enzyme deficient.
Uhm to start from the beginning.. I've written down, wot you give Loki.. Do you cook the meat and rice and veggies together?

I didnt know that this was what burns were made off

No infections, she isnt itchy (anymore) and her coat is looking good. No discharge either or inflamation.

Hmm maybe there could be a problem with the yogurt.. But should I "just" give her meat and rice? Try that for a few days??? You dont use anything to kinda bind the things together??

I was thinking of putting it in her kongs.. But would need something to bind it wouldnt I?? Or am I completely off here??
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by Ruthlynn
When I've been on holiday and Murph has been with friends, I've simply bagged up the food in bags for morning and evening and all they've had to do is pop it in the bowl! I have to say that I've not expected them to feed the bones as that can be a worry for folks if they're not used to it but a few days without the RMB is fine......gosh, this diet sounds so good!....Why am I changing again?!!!

TTFN

Yeah I could do that... Worth thinking about

Thank you again Ruth
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by Jenny
see how she goes on the chicken and rice, do that for 2 weeks. if u notice a good difference then maybe barf is for u.
I will Jenny and thank you
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2005, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by bellaluna
Uhm to start from the beginning.. I've written down, wot you give Loki.. Do you cook the meat and rice and veggies together?

I didnt know that this was what burns were made off

No infections, she isnt itchy (anymore) and her coat is looking good. No discharge either or inflamation.

Hmm maybe there could be a problem with the yogurt.. But should I "just" give her meat and rice? Try that for a few days??? You dont use anything to kinda bind the things together??

I was thinking of putting it in her kongs.. But would need something to bind it wouldnt I?? Or am I completely off here??
Hi Jeanette,

I boil (or microwave) the rice.
I boil the meat and veggies together with the garlic, then add to the washed rice, with all the cooking meat/veg juices, add bonemeal and small bit of oil (only a drop as I read that too much can cause the runs) and wait to cool. I have started to give raw meat now but sometimes cook.

I don't use anything to bind as it comes out kind of like a stir fry with a thin gravy. It wouldn't hurt to just give meat and rice for a few days. You could always add kelp powder. Today Loki has a dodgy tum - we gave him beef yesterday and he's not used to it - so I've cut out the fruit and vet and just given him chicken and brown rice today.

I was giving Loki a tablespoon of probiotic yoghurt every day and he seemed to have loose stools so I cut it out and they did look better, but a tablespoon doesn't seem an awful lot so I will try to re-introduce it.

I read that Mr Burns fed and prescribed meat/rice/veg for his own dogs and patients and developed the kibble as an easier, more practical way to feed. This is why I started feeding rice/meat/veg.

Burns is a low protein, higher carb kibble.
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »