View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 07:28 AM
Reading this thread I am slightly gobsmacked at the costs. My GSDs etc I always reckon to cost 70p to £1 a day each. I really don`t see how you can feed a large dog for 25p a day unless you are getting a lot of `free` food from hunting or throwouts from an abattoir. .
How is it done?
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 07:32 AM
OMG, with my 3 I am spending a fortune at the moment as they are giant breeds and 2 of them still on puppy food with extra glucosamine and chondroitin.. luckily I can get the breeders bags of 20 kg at around 45 euro a bag and they go through a bag in about 12 to 14 days. they also get vegetables, rice, pasta and a bit of chicken mixed in..... and the ''old'' girl gets mixed kibble at 13 euro a bag which lasts her quite a while... but I am not complaining, lol x
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 07:49 AM
For Dex, a 35kg Lab:

£27 a month on Wainwrights wet trays - thus far the only food not to give Dex itchy skin and tummy upsets.

He also gets regulars such as eggs, tinned and fresh fish, and a share of any food that I have that is suitable for him also.

Am thinking of adding a sprinkle of a high quality, hypoallergenic dry food as well, for a bit of 'crunch' and also as the Wainwrights wet feeding guide is on the low side. Will probably be Wafcol so that would add a few pounds a month.....
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 08:23 AM
ive probably spent around £60 on my dogs when i ordered their raw food delivery and topped it up with chicken wings i bought from the supermarket.. (£10 of that was delivery price)

i bought that at the end of march, so its done all through april, may do through to the end of may as well

so that works out at £30 a month which feeds two small dogs. so it costs me £15 a month per dog which works out at £3.75 a week.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 08:37 AM
Mine are on a mixed diet. They have some raw (picked up cheaply or free from work) they have some dry (various Harringtons atm £14) and some wet (various butchers/nd/nm/chappie) and then they have table scraps

For three adult dogs, I probs spend £25 ish (including treats etc)
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Reading this thread I am slightly gobsmacked at the costs. My GSDs etc I always reckon to cost 70p to £1 a day each. I really don`t see how you can feed a large dog for 25p a day unless you are getting a lot of `free` food from hunting or throwouts from an abattoir. .
How is it done?
My two's main bulk of their meal is a chicken carcass or two. These are pretty big, with a fair bit of fillet still left on, and sometimes they still have the neck on too. These I get for free, so feeding my two only costs the mince block per day. I also get their bones for free.

When Jess was on kibble, she used to cost us about £50 per month (with all the extras used to make her eat it), so I don't think I could afford my dogs if they were on kibble of that grade.
Harry66
New Member!
Male 

02-05-2012, 09:26 AM
Thank you for the replies. It is good to get an idea how people shop around to get good deals
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 10:13 AM
I order from DAF directly and for my 3 border collies it costs approx £50 a month
purplesuzi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-05-2012, 07:24 PM
Hi
We have just ordered our food from Berriewood Pet Supplies website for the first time. We got one 15kg bag of Arden Grange Puppy food for £34.90 and two 15kg bags of Arden Grange Adult food for £54.98. The delivery for that was free too. I thought that seemed quite good for that price.
lankytwang
New Member!
Male 

03-05-2012, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by Harry66 View Post
Thank you for the replies. It is good to get an idea how people shop around to get good deals
Hi Harry,
in reply to your post regarding how much to spend on dog food, I used to own a pet supplies shop so I can give you an educated answer on this as regards dry complete dog food.

Basically,dry dog food falls in to three categories...1/ cheap and nasty 2/ better 3/ quality.
Let me explain...the first category tends to include the high street brands, not naming names such as B$%&*s or W$$$G , this also includes most of the cheap working dog foods, most of these tend to contain around 4% unnamed so called meat and animal derivatives, they also tend to contain high amounts of wheat and consequently wheat gluten,also lots of lovely artificial additives and preservatives which are banned in the human food chain, not exactly quality ingredients for you beloved pooch. The second category of dog food may contain around 14% of a named type of meat or fish and tends to have slightly better ingredients and may or may not contain certain additives and may or may not contain natural antioxidants, better yes, but not necessarily the best.
The third category of dog food is what is known as super premium dog food, these normally are pretty much hypo-allergenic, have no wheat or gluten, no cheap soya fillers, no dairy, no GM etc and tend to use natural antioxidants such as vitamin E or Rosemary Oil, these dog foods contain a minimum of 23% named meat or fish.
I get my dog food from Preston Pet Supplies in Lancashire, they have their own branded super premium made for them at a top manufacturer, the ingredients are top notch and the prices are probably about half of what you would pay for Royal Canin, Eukaneuba, Hills etc
Hope this helps a bit
Cheers
Lankytwang
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >