Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-02-2012, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Why should she donate either her money or her time?

If a programme is made about poverty in children do you expect the people making it to donate to the NSPCC? Or if it about not enough foster places do you expect them to foster?

rune
Well considering she always seems to be condemning show breeders/ owners who do supply samples to further health testing and also their money. Infact she condemns breeders full stop and she has never bred a litter. Maybe she should as she goes on so much about the issues that she indeed may breed the perfect litter.
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
It's none of anyone's business what she does with her money.
I know for a fact that she has been involved with rescuing UK dogs.
So has a lot of show people that she condemns regularly
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Everyone helps in their own way
If she feels she is helping by making the programs then why should others demand that she helps in other ways that they deem fit?
Or if she does donate time and money why should she feel pressurised to nail her recepts to a flag to prove it?
It is the only way her detractors have of knocking her---they can't deny what happens so they have now decided to suggest she should 'do more' for the welfare of dogs generally----as long as they aren't Irish that is. It is almost funny!

rune
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 05:45 PM
If she donated 90% of her earnings to dog charities, worked in a rescue centre, fostered dogs for re-homing etc, it wouldn't give her any more or less credibility than she has now in respect of the type of programme she made. Why should it????
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by crestnut View Post
So has a lot of show people that she condemns regularly
And?! A lot of show people don't. What's
your point?!
I know she does an amazing amount for dogs that need it. End
Of. She has my total respect for it because of how much she
does for rescue dogs and she doesn't proclaim it from the roof tops.Good on her.
She made an expose on the breeding of
Some pedigree dogs that has led tothe KC
changing things. Good on her.

Can she be blamed for people buying
Labradoodles etc? No.
There are 2 Labradoodles by me, one bought because of allergies (sigh) and the other because they like them. We also have a neurotic sprollie. The owner had wanted a Labradoodle but the 'breeders' had stopped breeding Labradoodles as people ( apparently) don't want them
Anymore. So they sold this older gentleman a sprollie ( from
Working parents....)
Other people have Labs ( including one from a great breeder who isn't interested in the elbow dysplasia....) Cockers, collies etc. Very few crosses.

Not one person I have spoken to locally
( and believe me I speak to a lot of dog
People) watched it.... The only people who watched it were trainers and breeders and not your average pet owner.
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-02-2012, 05:55 PM
All these breeders who get in a tizz about the programme and JH, why? I mean, if they're breeding correctly with health and welfare at the forefront of everything they do why should they continually try to insult JH and her work, after all they're not the breeders that JH speaks of, right?

Throughout this entire thread i've not seen any one of the people against JH and her programme talk about anything else than what she *should* be doing. No talk of the good she's done. Who would have spoke up for the dogs we claim to love then? Who would of exposed the breeders and breed clubs who needed exposing? Why is it acceptable that some want it swept under the carpet? What JH speaks about needs to be said, it shouldn't be a matter of "her against us", everyone should have the same interest in the welfare and health of purebred dogs.

She has done more than most claim to have done.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by Dogloverlou View Post
All these breeders who get in a tizz about the programme and JH, why? I mean, if they're breeding correctly with health and welfare at the forefront of everything they do why should they continually try to insult JH and her work, after all they're not the breeders that JH speaks of, right?

Throughout this entire thread i've not seen any one of the people against JH and her programme talk about anything else than what she *should* be doing. No talk of the good she's done. Who would have spoke up for the dogs we claim to love then? Who would of exposed the breeders and breed clubs who needed exposing? Why is it acceptable that some want it swept under the carpet? What JH speaks about needs to be said, it shouldn't be a matter of "her against us", everyone should have the same interest in the welfare and health of purebred dogs.

She has done more than most claim to have done.

What she should have done & deliberately didn't(she has admitted this as she wanted a senational program)is show the Irish & Irish Red & White Setter breeders she filmed & how they & the KC have worked together to breed out CLAD(Canine Leucocyte (sometimes spelt Leukocyte) Adhesion Deficiency) & PRA(GPRA rcd-1) in the two breeds. The breeders helped DNA research so that only CLAD & PRA normal dogs are KC registered. They agreed to only breed normal to carrier or normal to normal for 5 years & then only accept normal to normal bred litters. This now means that no KC registered Irish or Irish R&W setter will be a carrier or affected as all breeding dogs are DNA normal. They have now succeeded in doing the same with PRA(they were waiting for a DNA to be developed). All done without any imput from JH.

She should have included how to find a breeder that breeds responsibly-again deliberately not done as this would not have been sensational & would show KC breeders in a good light

She never mentioned the breed she owns that has a terrible early death due to cancer problem & what the breeders were/are doing to try to find the cause-again well before her program.

After the program the online puppy sale sites had 1,000s of adverts from pet/BYB/puppy farmers proudly stating "Healthy not KC registered"puppies & when contacted & questioned they stated as per the program KC registered dogs are all unhealthy & their puppies are all vet checked healthy-the fact that the conditions should cannot be checked by the local vet obviously omitted
rubylover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-02-2012, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
What she should have done & deliberately didn't . . . .
What is this? What she 'should have done'?! Why? Cuz some say so? Cuz some are of the personal opinion it would have been helpful? What if others disagree with that?

If that is the documentary some wanted then go ahead and make it.

I does not mean it is the one she should have made.

My personal experience. I now know 10 people who have better researched the purebred pups they have purchased. There are others who have not and have purchased from imps, but those are the type that would not care to learn anyway. I see HUGE benefit from the program.

Ruby
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
What she should have done & deliberately didn't(she has admitted this as she wanted a senational program)is show the Irish & Irish Red & White Setter breeders she filmed & how they & the KC have worked together to breed out CLAD(Canine Leucocyte (sometimes spelt Leukocyte) Adhesion Deficiency) & PRA(GPRA rcd-1) in the two breeds. The breeders helped DNA research so that only CLAD & PRA normal dogs are KC registered. They agreed to only breed normal to carrier or normal to normal for 5 years & then only accept normal to normal bred litters. This now means that no KC registered Irish or Irish R&W setter will be a carrier or affected as all breeding dogs are DNA normal. They have now succeeded in doing the same with PRA(they were waiting for a DNA to be developed). All done without any imput from JH.

She should have included how to find a breeder that breeds responsibly-again deliberately not done as this would not have been sensational & would show KC breeders in a good light

She never mentioned the breed she owns that has a terrible early death due to cancer problem & what the breeders were/are doing to try to find the cause-again well before her program.

After the program the online puppy sale sites had 1,000s of adverts from pet/BYB/puppy farmers proudly stating "Healthy not KC registered"puppies & when contacted & questioned they stated as per the program KC registered dogs are all unhealthy & their puppies are all vet checked healthy-the fact that the conditions should cannot be checked by the local vet obviously omitted
Her chosen breed are Flat Coats. Yes, there is some cancer in the breed and yes, a few dogs die young, but to say there is a terrible early death rate is being more sensationalist than Jemima has ever been. I, like many others, have been enjoying a group elsewhere that shows lots of flat coats who are in double figures. Early death from
cancer occurs but it is thankfully pretty rare. Please start to get your facts straight before you make sweeping statements.

Off to cuddle my 8 year old Flat Coat and 4 and a half year old Flat Coat ( whose mum died at ten, not from cancer and whose gran died at 13, not from cancer.)

What happened to everything dying of heart failure anyway???
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by rubylover View Post
What is this? What she 'should have done'?! Why? Cuz some say so? Cuz some are of the personal opinion it would have been helpful? What if others disagree with that?

If that is the documentary some wanted then go ahead and make it.

I does not mean it is the one she should have made.

My personal experience. I now know 10 people who have better researched the purebred pups they have purchased. There are others who have not and have purchased from imps, but those are the type that would not care to learn anyway. I see HUGE benefit from the program.

Ruby
I personally feel she produced a biased programme about "crippled show dogs", behind the guise of "pedigree dogs exposed". The reason I feel this is pretty much covered in Joedees posts past and present and is basically gained from deliberate attempts at hiding certain information in order to sensationalise the programme. The reality is, as someone else has already said, only 2% of pedigree dogs are show dogs, the rest are produced by BYB, PFs, working breeders and the like, for this reason I do not believe that JH has a great deal of interest in saving pedigree dogs (if she did then why not target PFs or BYBs producing vast amounts of Staffies continually which are then dumped and/or PTS?) but for some unknown reason has a vendetta against showing and or the KC.

I do feel things in showing needed to change, but the bottom line is she lied. Had her programme been a research paper it would've been torn up and thrown in the bin due to the amount of untruths and bias in it.

Things have changed and that's great, but for me the end will never justify the means and I can never trust someone who lies with such vehemence.
Closed Thread
Page 16 of 42 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 > Last »