Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
You couldn't be more wrong here. Firstly, my Son was baptised into the RC faith just 3 days short of his first birthday. He wasn't forced to do anything. Every Sunday morning he chooses to go to Mass. He has never been forced to go. He enjoys it and asks lots of questions. He also attends a Catholic school where he learns a lot too. His baptism was certainly NOT an excuse for a p1ss up!
Also, I got married in a Catholic Church and no, it was NOT a farce or a joke.

You say you would never judge others but clearly you are doing just that.
I didn't mention the RC faith...nor did I judge anybody who follows any faith?? Your son enjoys your faith very much the same way I did. As a family, you go to church, therefore obviously got married in one. I wasn't saying anything against this, you are true followers of that religion and I accept that and admire you for it.

I was talking about the people who get their children christened but have never attended church in their lifetime! Or gets married in a church and fake an interest 6 weeks beforehand. To me, personally, that's wrong.

If your religion chooses to christen babies then that's up to you. What I was saying is that Jehovah's witnesses don't, despite a lot of people saying that children are forced to conform to the religion!
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2010, 03:23 PM
I'm not making judgment of anyone's religion, I just think it is completely horrendous that a 15 year old made the choice to die and the justice system in this country allowed that to happen, with regards to treatment religion shouldn't come into it with a minor especially. It should be given as a matter of course, euthanasia is illegal and that is essentially what has happened here!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2010, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
I'm not making judgment of anyone's religion, I just think it is completely horrendous that a 15 year old made the choice to die and the justice system in this country allowed that to happen, with regards to treatment religion shouldn't come into it with a minor especially. It should be given as a matter of course, euthanasia is illegal and that is essentially what has happened here!
Humm - worlds apart IMO.

Choosing to not be treated is very different from asking someone to kill you....
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Humm - worlds apart IMO.

Choosing to not be treated is very different from asking someone to kill you....
Not at 15.....
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Unless you are brought up in a nunnery or monastery of a closed order, you are going to meet people of other faiths beliefs or lack off. if if you have devote parents and got o Church go to faith schools, you are not isolated from the world.. my mother was Catholic, her, mother, my sister, brother, aunts cousins, my children were christened Catholics went to catholic schools attended church holy communion and all that it entails.... both are now atheists have been so for a very long time/

Its not difficult to look outside the box you have been brought up in, some stay , some stray, some come back some dont...

The trouble is as long as people have free thought , they will decide for themselves what they wish to follow.

And teenagers being teenager, will challenge even the most basic rules and regulations.

I think some are becoming confused with religion and cults... the latter is brainwashing , targeting the weak and traumatized... and they always almost target adults,

The former, is completely different..yes some parents hold a tighter rain on their children , and can force them to attend mass or chapel of their given religion, but it will only last for so long.. at some point they (child) will break away... and sadly whos to say what would have happened to this boy, he may as he grew questioned his faith, he may not , but as it was he was living his beliefs... along with his family, time was not on his side... sadly.
Sure i agree with a lot of what you have said, just difficult to look at it that way i suppose coming from a non-religious family - i didn't mean people in this situation would not be capable of thinking for themselves but surely alot of their morals, outlook on life would be influenced by this
AshMan
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-05-2010, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
exactly... and how many do?!?
i was responding to you claiming it was forceful
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
How does that work then? (hence the question mark on my last post) - if the doctors are in a life and death situation and obviously have no prior knowledge of the patient, the patient is still classed as a minor (under 1 and the parents agree with the childs choice, who has the authority to overrule the parents and the child?
sorry was reading on my phone so tiny text.

Im guessing as it was and emergancy, there wasnt time to over rule them. im not exactly sure how the law works though
ATD x
trotsky1919
New Member!
Female 

19-05-2010, 06:52 PM
(I really need to learn to multi-quote, lol, sorry!)
Another example of crap parenting we see so much of. I never missed anything growing up, we were lucky enough to afford exotic holidays abroad every christmas, not that I wanted to go - i used to miss my ponies Like I said earlier, we had 'present' days with all my friends. As my parents taught me, I never drank underage, did drugs, smoked or got pregnant .

You will always have people who have double lives and don't follow the religion, although why they don't just leave I don't know! I remember a man who used to hide the christmas tree whenever another witness went round his house, I caught him doing it one day and my mum wouldn't believe me heehee
jw are wrong it is not right for anybody to die this way i have personal experience of losing achild and i know given the option of a blood transfusion saving his or her life i know which i would choose life!unfortunately we were not given that option he died at the age of 6mnths we will never know how he would have grown which i ask myself every day all i know is that there is a vast emptiness left which can never be filled or forgoten i do not feel sory for this typoe of person it is wrong for a life that could be saved to be waisted so .religion especially of this kind sucks big time!
trotsky1919
New Member!
Female 

19-05-2010, 06:53 PM
(I really need to learn to multi-quote, lol, sorry!)
Another example of crap parenting we see so much of. I never missed anything growing up, we were lucky enough to afford exotic holidays abroad every christmas, not that I wanted to go - i used to miss my ponies Like I said earlier, we had 'present' days with all my friends. As my parents taught me, I never drank underage, did drugs, smoked or got pregnant .

You will always have people who have double lives and don't follow the religion, although why they don't just leave I don't know! I remember a man who used to hide the christmas tree whenever another witness went round his house, I caught him doing it one day and my mum wouldn't believe me heehee
jw are wrong it is not right for anybody to die this way i have personal experience of losing achild and i know given the option of a blood transfusion saving his or her life i know which i would choose life!unfortunately we were not given that option he died at the age of 6mnths we will never know how he would have grown which i ask myself every day all i know is that there is a vast emptiness left which can never be filled or forgoten i do not feel sory for this typoe of person it is wrong for a life that could be saved to be waisted so .religion especially of this kind sucks big time!
AshMan
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-05-2010, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by trotsky1919 View Post
that is your opinion based on your experience.

If you take into account JW believe in an after life than i can understand the veiwpoint (wether i agree or not)

imagine the pain the family would feel if he took the tranfusion and still died having done wrong in the eyes of God and sent to hell.

Let people have their faith.

if someone held a gun to my head and said the only way they would spare my life was if i denounced my christianity.
I hope i would die christian.
Page 13 of 14 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 >