Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 07:20 PM
The KC has been notified!

"To whom it may concern,

During a recent trip to London (Thursday 11th December) I was shocked and horrified to discover that Harrods department store are selling young puppies and various other livestock.

The puppies they sell include Lhasa Apsos, Chihuahuas and Pugs and were in rooms no more than a glorified fishtanks, on public display. They were selling for thousands of pounds.

It felt like a freakshow with customers glaring through the glass fronts of the pens in which the puppies were housed.

The puppies I witnessed appeared to have been very subdued with regards to the behaviour of other young puppies of their age (around 10-12 weeks).

After questioning staff, they informed me that they do not accept the puppies back if, for whatever reason, the buyers cannot keep the puppies.

As you should be well aware, this is not the environment puppies should be kept in.

This is totally unethical, immoral and downright cruelty and imprisonment and something must be down to stop this kind of pet trading. This is puppy farming.

After telephoning Harrods to ask for the details of the breeders who supplied these puppies, I was told the details aren't made available until AFTER purchase!

Obvously this is wrong as one has to know where these puppies come from BEFORE purchasing, breed lines have to be researched, health test on both parents have to be done and at least the mother, if not both parents should be seen. None of this seems to be taken in to account when purchasing puppies from Harrods.

I wonder how many of these poor animals end up in rescue centres and put to sleep?

Harrods inform me that these puppies are Kennel Club regstered and are sourced from reputable breeders. No reputable breeder would sell puppies in this way.

A friend of mine also telephoned Harrods. She was given the names of three breeders after claiming that she was interested in buying a puppy from them (obviously this is not true). The names she was given with are as follows., I hope the spelling is correct:

Please do something about this now. Other sources will be informed about this sickening trade. It must be stopped as soon as possible.

Yours faithfully

Nicola *******"
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 07:51 PM
I have informed Dogs Trust as well. I am now moving on to the dog magazines. I shall keep you all informed.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
Hey guys just seen this, well done for doing all this and if there is anything I can do to help just let me know.

Email the KC with the names of the breeders and let them know, ask Harrods are the puppies KC reg? If they are then you will have more back up from the KC.

It will also be worth contacting the dog papers too, Dog World and Our Dogs.

http://www.dogworld.co.uk/Home

http://www.ourdogs.co.uk/

These are the show papers but are always interested in the welfare of all dogs and print stories of all dog related news, i'm sure they will be interested. Might be worth naming and shaming the breeders if you can although I doubt anyone knows who they are, but if they do it will be someone in the breed.

Hope that helps.
Thanks, Kel. I've just contacted the two papers you have mentioned above.

Yes, they said the pups are KC registered.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post

Yes, they said the pups are KC registered.
In this case and ESPECIALLY in light of recent events, the KC should at least check the 'breeders' out, maybe mention to the KC once they have replied (i'm sure they will) that you have contacted a lot of media sources (even list whom) who are all very interested in doing stories, they will then be more inclined to do whatever they can as they won't want to be seen in the media to be sat on their a$$es doing nothing for the welfare of pedigree dogs yet again.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 09:24 PM
Have you contacted the BBC? Worth a shot I guess, they are excellent at just making a mountain out of a molehill so who knows what they could do with this?!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Have you contacted the BBC? Worth a shot I guess, they are excellent at just making a mountain out of a molehill so who knows what they could do with this?!
Ha! Funnilly enough, I haven't! I'll do it right now! Why did I not think of this sooner!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 09:39 PM
In this case and ESPECIALLY in light of recent events, the KC should at least check the 'breeders' out, maybe mention to the KC once they have replied (i'm sure they will) that you have contacted a lot of media sources (even list whom) who are all very interested in doing stories, they will then be more inclined to do whatever they can as they won't want to be seen in the media to be sat on their a$$es doing nothing for the welfare of pedigree dogs yet again.
Good point, Kel. This should hopefully give them a kick up the jacksie and investigate. With a bit of luck!

We'll be on the Christmas surge of puppies now, sadly.
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2008, 10:01 PM
This just makes me want to cry, with anger & sadness
Those poor animals you can probably buy a doggy carrying handbag to go with your new puppy purchase
I have signed the original petition, and will also sign the downing st one as soon as its live

Jann
xxx
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by Skyesmum View Post
This just makes me want to cry, with anger & sadness
Those poor animals you can probably buy a doggy carrying handbag to go with your new puppy purchase
I have signed the original petition, and will also sign the downing st one as soon as its live

Jann
xxx

Oh yes, the "handbags" come in several different styles, designs and sizes, ranging from tiny ones to ones that are quite big. Isn't it sick.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 10:13 PM
BBC News and The One Show have been notified! I'm about to contact GMTV and some dog magazines.
Page 11 of 19 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »