View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Ever so slightly off topic - but not too much. I wonder why farmers can't put a sign on the gate saying livestock in field when there are actually livestock in the field.

I live in a rural area and often find that fields that have been empty for months suddenly have sheep or cattle in.

Some fields have "livestock in field please keep your dog under control" and there are no livestock in the field for months on end.

It would be nice if farmers that have a public right of way across their land could maybe consider meeting us half way and warn us.

I don't think any farmer would enjoy shooting a dog that worried or threatened his/her livestock - on top of that it's a bit of a hassle, they have to report the matter to the police within 24 hours, the RSPCA investigate every single case AND if they find there was an alternative to shooting the dog the farmer could have his/her firearms licence revoked.

Not as straightforward as it first seems
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2013, 06:29 PM
As a slight aside - if farmers are allowed to shoot dogs that are on their property, what about someone who keeps chickens as pets and for their eggs? Maybe they sell the eggs for income. Are they/should they be allowed to shoot a dog that gets into their garden after the chickens? Or a puppy breeder - are they allowed to shoot a dog that gets onto their property and attacks the puppies that are to be sold?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2013, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
As a slight aside - if farmers are allowed to shoot dogs that are on their property, what about someone who keeps chickens as pets and for their eggs? Maybe they sell the eggs for income. Are they/should they be allowed to shoot a dog that gets into their garden after the chickens? Or a puppy breeder - are they allowed to shoot a dog that gets onto their property and attacks the puppies that are to be sold?
Dogs(Protection of Livestock)Act 1953

Farmers do not have a legal right as such to shoot dogs worrying their stock, but they have a defence for doing so under the 1953 Act if the dog is illegally on their Agricultural land & causing harm(simply by chasing)to their lifestock.

Unless someone's land is registered as Agricultural, the 1953 Act & the defence for shooting a dog is not applicable

Simples
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2013, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Good points SJ.

The way I see it is pretty simple:

The dog's life means more to its owner than the life of livestock to the farmer - where it is simply a business asset. It is not a pet, it is not part of the family, it is not a friend who you have lived with everyday for a decade - it is a commodity, a commodity that they are going to send off to be killed for meat. The relationship is not equal - nowhere near equal. I would be surprised if any dog lover would even begin to think they are.

Tranquillisers should be considered instead. Or research done into other methods - would horns or firing loud guns be sufficient to scare the dog for example? What about good ol fashioned shepherds and sheep dogs on patrol? Failing that, there are laws to protect people's property and they should be pursued instead - just like a shopkeeper or any other businessman has to when any of his property is stolen or damaged.

Killing the dog is not acceptable imo.
While I see your point, I think it right to remember that sheep are living beings too.

Although it may seem strange, most farmers do care for their animals despite their ultimate fate. I think their actions in shooting a dog mauling their livestock is justified if it is to stop a continuing attack and more animals being hurt.

Obviously, if there was an effective alternative that worked, then I'd agree that killing the attacker is way too extreme, but I don't think there is one at the moment
Azz
Administrator
Male 

28-10-2013, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Seriously do you think the farmer cared where the dogs had come from or do you think he saw dogs worrying his sheep and acted accordingly?
Seriously? Having witnessed how spiteful, nasty and repugnant some human beings can be - nothing would surprise me.

We've all heard about neighbours who put poison down for cats (and even dogs) so I don't see why a farmer would be immune from having such thoughts or even acting on them -especially- if they had a legal green light to do so, how tempting would that be? I guess we'd have to ask a psychotherapist.

Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
Ever so slightly off topic - but not too much. I wonder why farmers can't put a sign on the gate saying livestock in field when there are actually livestock in the field.

I live in a rural area and often find that fields that have been empty for months suddenly have sheep or cattle in.

Some fields have "livestock in field please keep your dog under control" and there are no livestock in the field for months on end.

It would be nice if farmers that have a public right of way across their land could maybe consider meeting us half way and warn us.
Excellent points!

Originally Posted by Chris View Post
While I see your point, I think it right to remember that sheep are living beings too.

Although it may seem strange, most farmers do care for their animals despite their ultimate fate.
I'm not saying they don't care - I'm just saying the bond between owner and dog is often much, much greater than the bond (which I believe is practically non-existent) between livestock and farmer. It's a totally different type of relationship. One is practically a family member, and one is a stock item, so to speak.

Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Obviously, if there was an effective alternative that worked, then I'd agree that killing the attacker is way too extreme, but I don't think there is one at the moment
I'm glad you think killing is extreme.

I think we/they just need to come up with better solutions. And not be afraid of ones that are not as 'easy'. Such as Tazers, tranquillisers, battery powered horns or even pepper sprays, etc. As far as I know, there has never been any research into alternatives.

I must say though, that I can see why a farmer would turn to a gun if all else failed and the dog was actually mauling another animal - but it would have to be the absolute last resort and the farmer would have to prove they tried other things first. It must never be easy to kill a dog, imo.
Megsy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-10-2013, 09:06 PM
Whilst I sympathise with the majority of farmers, there is a farmer locally who is very quick to reach for his shot gun. Every dog owner locally knows but the few that don't learn the hard way. There should be more emphasis on the farmer to prove that the dog was worrying his sheep - and not just in a field where there were sheep once so the dog might have worried them. I live down the road from the boarding kennels earlier mentioned.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

28-10-2013, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by Megsy View Post
Whilst I sympathise with the majority of farmers, there is a farmer locally who is very quick to reach for his shot gun. Every dog owner locally knows but the few that don't learn the hard way. There should be more emphasis on the farmer to prove that the dog was worrying his sheep - and not just in a field where there were sheep once so the dog might have worried them. I live down the road from the boarding kennels earlier mentioned.
That sounds awful and exactly the kind of thing I find worrying.

Have you tried contacting the local press? If they're not interested I am sure the Daily Mail would love to get their hands on the story..
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-10-2013, 10:40 PM
Hi Megsy I live in the same area as you where these two incidents took place,. In the first one the dog was apparently caught worrying sheep...
http://www.malverngazette.co.uk/news...ad_by_farmer_/
..in the second (posted earlier in the thread) I don't think it was established that the dogs were actually worrying sheep..
http://www.malverngazette.co.uk/news...ay_at_kennels/

..there is a farmer near me and it is common knowledge he would not hesitate to shoot any dog found loose on his land .

My uncle was a farmer in Derbyshire, he was also a dog lover and there is no way he would have shot a dog worrying his stock. I couldn't do it either.

I do understand how horrible it can be to have your stock attacked or worse panicked so that a large number run into danger like a river or road but some farmers are undoubtedly too quick to use a gun.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2013, 06:18 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Dogs(Protection of Livestock)Act 1953

Farmers do not have a legal right as such to shoot dogs worrying their stock, but they have a defence for doing so under the 1953 Act if the dog is illegally on their Agricultural land & causing harm(simply by chasing)to their lifestock.

Unless someone's land is registered as Agricultural, the 1953 Act & the defence for shooting a dog is not applicable

Simples
Correct. And I believe some have been prosecuted for shooting dogs.

I'd guess every farmer owns a shotgun. But, as for puppy breeders and chicken keepers well - they'd have to be in possession of a firearm and be licensed to use it in the first place and keep it in a secure place in their home. I don't see this cropping up hardly ever if at all.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2013, 06:25 AM
I'm surprised this farmer is so quick to reach for his gun given the penalties for shooting a dog without very good justifiable reason. As said above, he cannot shoot dog with impunity - he will have to answer to authorities and face the very real threat of having his gun licence revoked. I think the idea that farmers shoot dogs is largely an urban (or rural!) myth I am not sure that many are shot because of the hassle the farmer faces when it happens.

Interestingly we have issues on the Quantocks of sheep being found mauled - horrific injuries. Notices are put out everywhere about keeping control of your dog and it was discovered that several Master of Hunts exercise their dogs in this area - I think most people deduced what was really happening.

Page 11 of 19 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »