Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2012, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Just need to find some nice cheap ones on ropes now, as I hate throwing money down the drain (ie losing balls on a regular basis )
Here you go. They do float and are pretty indestructable. I have needed to replace the rope a couple of times which is easy enough
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000NUTGOS
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2012, 02:38 PM
Thanks Claire. They look like the ones I used to get prior to going for the foam balls that SB recommended (and that are fab, but expensive ... have lost three of them now ... which equates to roughly £30!).
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

21-01-2012, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Think SB has put up a link and advised how.

Only thing we do is send the most competitive first which is Bruce.

We do/have rota'd names.....like calling 'Skye' 1st....Tess 2nd ...Bruce 3rd, but this has in the past caused Bruce to be more competitive. We have found calling him 1st....... works best as he lies down with his ball whilst the others are chasing theirs
Mojo plays with her's with me whilst they are chasing she can never keep up
Couldn't find thie link - can you point it out?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Nothing special, keep one dog on a lead, throw ball for other dog; when it returns, put that dog on the lead, throw ball for other dog.

You can start off with both dogs with handleless leads so there is no farting about with putting leads on and off.

Soon you will be able to tell both dogs to sit/down/stand, throw the ball and then nominate dog by name.

It is a good exercise to develop impulse control (and I find other dog walkers are really impressed by it, an added bonus)
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2012, 07:19 PM
Kirsty I havent read all the posts so please forgive me if its already been covered.

If you have two dogs that are willing to fight over a ball, would the answer surely be just NOT to take a ball out with them at all, therefore removing the trigger for a fight?
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

21-01-2012, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Nothing special, keep one dog on a lead, throw ball for other dog; when it returns, put that dog on the lead, throw ball for other dog.

You can start off with both dogs with handleless leads so there is no farting about with putting leads on and off.

Soon you will be able to tell both dogs to sit/down/stand, throw the ball and then nominate dog by name.

It is a good exercise to develop impulse control (and I find other dog walkers are really impressed by it, an added bonus)
Thanks!

Something to go on to my list of things to train next!

Kirsty - sounds like it might be fun to train your guys on this
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2012, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
Thanks!

Something to go on to my list of things to train next!

Kirsty - sounds like it might be fun to train your guys on this
Thanks both - yes, definitely something I am going to train
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2012, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Kirsty I havent read all the posts so please forgive me if its already been covered.

If you have two dogs that are willing to fight over a ball, would the answer surely be just NOT to take a ball out with them at all, therefore removing the trigger for a fight?
Dawn - I usually take a ball for each of them on a walk so there isn't this issue - in fact, even when I have only had one ball in the past it has only been an issue once before. However, I like to take balls on many (not all, but many) of our walks as I do bits of fun training when out (and the toy is the reward) as well as giving them extra exercise (ie chasing or finding the ball) so don't really want to stop taking a ball altogether.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2012, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
Couldn't find thie link - can you point it out?

Sorry the link was for the slip rope....I didn't read it

and there you go...all explained
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2012, 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I would say so too, to avoid an issue - however that would be counter-productive long term, so finding a way of modifying the dogs' behaviour so that they can each still enjoy balls on walks seems good to me.

It's a bit different to avoiding other triggers - within the home for instance, where putting them in crates/separate rooms to enjoy bones or removing certain toys isn't going to impact on their quality of life to a great degree.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >