Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2010, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Delos View Post
OK Adam i'll try this in simple terms to see if you can understand the most basic of concepts.

Imagine 2 scenarios you are in a field in at the other end of the field is a man (person number 1) you need to run back to.

In scenario 1 he is holding £100,000 in scenario 2 there is another person by you who will give you electric shocks until you return to person number 1.

So which situation will you return to person number one with less stress by getting a reward or getting electric shocks as punishment.

Any normal person knows that you will willingly run back to person 1 for the money reward. If though you are given electric shocks until you return you will be stressed and distressed and really won't like person 1.

It's as simple as that even you must get that concept. I bet you'll reply with either 'It's not that simple' or 'Dogs don't act like that'. i'm afarid though it's the most basic of psychology that works on Humans and Animal.
It's like that scene in "Bingo" where the dog ends up in court and has to choose between the horrible evil clown and the nice boy who cared for him.

I've just realised I've called you a horrible evil clown there - oops

Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 01:43 AM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
If the dog is motivated mainly by treat/toy then even if you praise all the way back to you the dog is still experienceing frustration on the return because that treat/toy is offered but not yet given. Of course it looks nice because the frustration makes the dog run really fast to get back and get the treat/toy.
Of course you can start off with the dog two steps away from you and instant reward, but as you extend the distance the frustration re occurs.
Of course you give the treat/toy to them, that is their REWARD for coming back, NOT requiring to cease pain to show them the way
Re e fences, the stock type fences tend not to work on dogs as they have a thick coat and tend to run under the rope just brushing it with the hair, this prevents them getting a stim.
Also because dogs dive through them if they experience the stim they're already half way through so just keep going.
Cattle sheep ect tend to touch these fences with the nose first (to investigate them) this gives them a stim and conditions them to avoid the fence.
Invisible dog fences have a much wider range 2 metres sometimes, so the dog has less chance of running through them and because you condition the dog to turn back from the beep ec the dog learns not to try the fence out!
I tend to recomend the invisible fence is used as a back up to a solid boundary though. Often they are useful for dogs that dig, climb, bite through ect.
OMG you do not need to use a e-fence, my OH's Bull Arab has eaten through wooden fences, and used his force to open colourbond gates and panels, and NOT ONCE have we needed to use e-fencing, we NEEDED to MAKE SURE the fence was more secure, as a result he doesn't get out any more, not just going around zapping him because he is a big doofus that knows how to get out when there is a weakness in the boundary fence
When training the recall you start with the dog on lead! So as soon as you press/call you guide the dog back. The dog has no chance to learn to move away!
Adam
The dog will try anything, for you to say this is the reaction you will DEFINITELY get is a load of BS the only reason they can't run is because you have them stuck on a lead inflicting pain.
You are telling me there is no chance of the dog percieving the pain as the tug on the lead causing it and it will not end up with a fear of leads Dogs do not think like humans in all aspects they can't rationalise things.
Because the proccess is rewarding! Same as dogs find eating rewarding!

Adam
Again WTH, getting an electric shock is rewarding, you have got to be kidding
Quick point.

When using an e collar to train recall the dog also experiences an improved bond with you because it finds returning to you more comfortable than being away from you. This great for nervouse fearful dogs as it radically improves their confidence in you.

Btw I was refering to Brerly finding the training proccess rewarding.
Again I say BS, two of the dogs I have either had or fostered have been nervous dogs, fearful of humans, one aggressive the other just ran, AT NO TIME would I have inflicted and e-collar on them, that does not instil confidence in them it would have cemented the belief that pain was a part of their world and would have broken one and the other would have remained aggressive. I proudly say the aggressive one is no longer aggressive and the fearful one has brilliant recall and I have shown her that people will not cause her pain and when she comes she could not be happier than having a pat and told she is a good girl.

If dogs are nervously fearful pain will send the much quicker into the flight or fight response, it would have required me to contain them to train them into the e-collar pain to come to me, as i said before, conditioning them to believe pain is a part of their life. THAT IS NOT TRAINING THAT IS BREAKING A DOG and that can lead to learnt helplessness
The collar doesn't cause pain or fear, just mild discomfort that the dog is barely aware of.

I'm afraid fear issues is one of the major things I use e collars for. By making the dog realise that the thing its afraid of (men for instance) is actually a pleasent thing to hang out with the dog gets over its issues much quicker. Which is much nicer for the dog than taking weeks and months to try and habituate it ect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl-6T...eature=related

By using the collar for recall you very quickly create what Tassle has with her dog, a dog who see's you as a safe place from which to interact with the rest of the world from.

Btw I use food toys ect in training because its effective and works. However I don't kid myself that its any nicer than any other method.

Adam
FOOD AND TOY REWARDS ARE NOT NICER again WTH
how does food or toy rewards recreate this "discomfort" you say e-collars cause (I say pain) You never speak of using any other method and have seen you advise people on here with recall problems to use e-collars, it seems to be your answer to everything.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 01:51 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
oh, we`ve all asked that.....
Orignally it was a degree course in Animal Science. There was no mention of actually passing. I looked up the aforementioned course and it can include marine mamals, enviromental studies etc... nothing about canine behaviour or training.
Isn`t this just going round in circles as usual?
Yup, and I am done, they say you shouldn't fight with idiots as they may confuse to who is the idiot and who isn't, even though in this case it seems quite clear who is
It worries me that someone took his advice from his post and used one (albeit a probable troll ).
Adam really should run for Prime Minister, he so wonderfully responds without actually answering the questions asked, and rabbits on further with his e-collar dribble, trying to justify his use of it
In this thread AP has actually gone even further into his method of training, giving us so more insight into his bizarre thoughts on training dogs, showing how little he actually does know of dogs and their behaviours
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 09:54 AM
I see no point in trying to explain dogs to someone who has suggested on another forum that a stressed out new rescue dog that is having to be kept outside (in Australia), should wear an anti bark collar!

I hate shock collars anyway but the arguement that only 'experienced' trainers should be allowed to use then falls down bigtime as soon as anyone reads Adams posts.

rune
Delos
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-11-2010, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
It's like that scene in "Bingo" where the dog ends up in court and has to choose between the horrible evil clown and the nice boy who cared for him.

I've just realised I've called you a horrible evil clown there - oops

Clowns are very Scary. As Adam has proved.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-11-2010, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Isn`t this just going round in circles as usual?
Yes it is . When all is said and done the e collar trainers won't change their point of view or agree with the majority here who abhor the use of e collars. Why would they, they are making money out of persuading people there is a quick and easy fix to every canine behavioural problem instead of using time and patience to deal with them or finding alternative ways to cope. Trainers who push the use of these devices clearly have no empathy with dogs or they would't be using the collars in the first place when there are other methods of training available.

All the time the devices are being discussed they are being publicised and you know what they say, no publicity is bad publicity. No doubt there are also owners looking for a quick fix, people who have no understating of dogs, purchased the wrong breed for their lifestyle or haven't put in the time and effort required to train their dogs correctly in the first place. Some may even read dog sites looking for information, just what the e collar trainers are are counting on.

Unfortunately each time these devices are mentioned the majority of people here who are against them feel they have to enter discussion rather than letting their use go unchallenged but I feel little is ever achieved (except for people like Adam who apparently stated his intention on a site in the USA to join lots of forums to publicise e collars ) these discussions always end in stalemate.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-11-2010, 01:16 PM
*some off topic posts have been deleted*
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

28-11-2010, 08:59 PM
Toy and treat training is an effective method of learning but will cause some stress (mental discomfort).

Why, because the dog is motivated to get the toy or treat and wanting the toy/treat but not getting it while being lured/shaped or simply experiencing the delay between command and reward will be frustrating and stressful.

No matter how quick your training reactions are or how skilfully you setup the dog there will still be times when the dog isn't rewarded. Even the period between one trial and the next will be dead time in terms of reward to the dog and thus stressful.

With an e collar anytime your not stimming your rewarding the dog! So in a training session of 3 or 4 reps the dog might experience 3 or 4 secs of stim but several minutes of reward. In a food reward situation the dog will experience the opposite.

If you watch this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKee0rTjZ2U Jacca is experiencing total reward from the stim (not even wearing it) but has to wait for the toy until the behaviour is over. A dog that is experienced can cope with this but in the early stages will find it slighly stressful/frustrating, unlike e collar.

The frustration of toy/treat training (used on its own. its mitigated by the addition of e collar) can have a fair degree of fallout. Many dogs will checkout of the training and perform self rewarding behaviours. Others will try and speed up the reward by throwing behaviours at the trainer, this may look cute but is an indecation of the stress the dog is experiencing as the more behaviours it throws the more stressed it is. Certainly this would be frowned upon in circus animals, why not dogs?
Other dogs may learn to perform unwnated behaviours to re engage the trainer in a behaviour the dog can do easily and reward.
Often the fall out is less obviouse, the dog becomes less self assured and increases the amount of general appeasment behaviours it performs to obtain feedback from the owners. Some dogs will increase behaviours such as counter surfing in an attempt to achieve the food reward feedback that the owner has made ''special'' during the training session.
Others may try more extreme behaviours in experiments to see what is rewardable, this may include aggression or sterotypic behaviours.

Adam
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 09:02 PM
Toy and treat training is an effective method of learning but will cause some stress (mental discomfort).

Why, because the dog is motivated to get the toy or treat and wanting the toy/treat but not getting it while being lured/shaped or simply experiencing the delay between command and reward will be frustrating and stressful.

Adam
are you serious... or is this just another post trying to justify why e-collars should be used.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

28-11-2010, 09:26 PM
Yes regardless of how it makes nice it makes you feel, it will cause some stress for the dog.

Adam
Closed Thread
Page 41 of 98 « First < 31 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 51 91 > Last »