Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I also realised that I was being hypocritical at times....I didn't eat meat/only ate organic eggs from happy chickens...but would eat pasta when eating out (probably made with eggs from battery farmed eggs) or mayonnaise based dishes, or egg fried rice or think in batter (sweet and sour mushrooms). The list was endless. It is very hard to be a 'true' vegetarian...so many things contain animal by products.
I don't think you were hypocritical. It is very hard to avoid the things you mentioned. I found it hard eating out too - unless you opt for a plain salad (if they have one), I used to find that many menus were dominated by the cheese/pasta option for vegetarians. I think the important thing was that you felt strongly enough about something to do what you could.

I've had a look at a menu of a pub we go to. Every starter is meat, fish or cheese based - except the soup, which is soup of the day, so could be anything. If it's made using cream, then it isn't suitable for vegans, is it?

There are two vegetarian main options, one which is butternut squash and cashew nut roast - at least it isn't pasta. The other is a mushroom lasagne, which would contain cheese, I guess?
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by settagirl View Post
I too have my own dishes and utensils!!
I take my own chops sticks with me when I eat at noodle bars. But I have a wood phobia ;o)

Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
Pidge not having a go honest am just interested as it is truly something I do not understand

Sorry for cutting into your quote hope you don't mind I know it can be considered rude but its a subject that fascinates me. I just dion't get it, but there are many who have posted who equally just won't get my views but thats what keeps the world turning - variety
Of course silly, I don't mind at all but the quote didn't work right so would you mind re posting your questions? I'm not sure how else to do it ;o)

Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I don't think you were hypocritical. It is very hard to avoid the things you mentioned. I found it hard eating out too - unless you opt for a plain salad (if they have one), I used to find that many menus were dominated by the cheese/pasta option for vegetarians. I think the important thing was that you felt strongly enough about something to do what you could.

I've had a look at a menu of a pub we go to. Every starter is meat, fish or cheese based - except the soup, which is soup of the day, so could be anything. If it's made using cream, then it isn't suitable for vegans, is it?

There are two vegetarian main options, one which is butternut squash and cashew nut roast - at least it isn't pasta. The other is a mushroom lasagne, which would contain cheese, I guess?
Risotto, it's always a risotto and that usually has parmesan in it (made form cow's rennet) so that makes me laugh.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post

Risotto, it's always a risotto and that usually has parmesan in it (made form cow's rennet) so that makes me laugh.
You see, I hadn't even thought of that!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 08:12 PM
reading this thread has made me wonder if I could cope with going vegie for a week?

I may give it a go in the next couple of weeks and let you all know how it goes,
bet I would give up within a couple of days though.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 09:38 PM
I see a number of people saying they only buy organic meat. Is this down to animal welfare or more about knowing what is in their meat so to speak?

Organic does NOT mean free range. I think sometimes people get confused about this.

I would buy free range over organic every time.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I see a number of people saying they only buy organic meat. Is this down to animal welfare or more about knowing what is in their meat so to speak?

Organic does NOT mean free range. I think sometimes people get confused about this.

http://www.soilassociation.org/Whyor...1/Default.aspx

There are minimum standards laid down in order for the meat to be certified organic.
One of our local farmers does sell his meat as 'free range' when it is actually reared organically...he just does not use a certified organic slaughterhouse as it adds too much onto the price.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post

Humm...I would never buy free range eggs.....it was one of the things we went into a college (unless the laws ahve changed)

Free range meant there had to be access to outdoors.....we were shown some pretty awful free range areas...where basically there were multiple chickens in a tiny area (I think it is so many sq ft per hen) indoors - with a small hatch and tiny outdoor area - it was really quite sad.

We were led to believe that (as well as not having as many 'additives') organic had a higher sq ft allowance as well.

I am very lucky....we have several people local to us who keep thier own chickens and are more often than not over run with flippin eggs!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 09:58 PM
I think the trouble is that whilst organic animals do have to go outside for at least a third of their lives ( or so I have read) ..weather dependant...yes there can still be overcrowding (I am specifically referring to chickens here). Free range chickens can be kept in greater numbers, in a barn...and whilst they are supposed to have daily access outside, because there are so many in one barn, it can happen that the less 'pushy' birds actually never get to go out.

Organic animal welfare standards are higher than the standards for intensively reared animals...AND the animals are no pumped full of antibiotics etc. Yes...there is still progress to be made, but I feel that 'free range' animal welfare standards don't quite go far enough...plus I don't want to eat the chemicals that are pumped into them (and yes...the stuff organic chickens eat isn't always what they should eat,but it is still not full of antibiotics etc.)

Progress still does need to be made in all areas of animal welfare.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 10:07 PM
'Free-range': the maximum indoor stocking density is 13 birds per square metre (and not more than 27.5kg/sq m); in addition, each bird, for at least half its life, should have continuous daytime access to open-air runs with a maximum density of one bird per square metre.
'Traditional free-range': the maximum indoor stocking density is 12 birds per square metre (and not more than 25kg/sq m); continuous daytime access to open-air runs should be given from the age of six weeks, and these runs should allow at least 2sq m per chicken; poultry houses shouldn't contain more than 4,800 chickens. Slow-growing varieties of chicken should be used, with a minimum slaughter age of 81 days.
'Free-range - Total Freedom': in addition to the criteria for 'traditional free-range' chickens, these birds should have open-air runs of unlimited area.
'Organic' chickens are free-range and slower grown. They are slaughtered at 81 days, given organic feed and no routine antibiotics. They are kept in smaller flocks, with more space to move about inside and out.
Freedom Food is the scheme for animals reared to the RSPCA's welfare standards. Chickens are more slowly grown and stocking densities are lower, though they are not necessarily free-range birds.
Taken from:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/food_matters/chicken.shtml

Obviously just info on chickens though...but shows I think a higher welfare standard for organic chickens than for free range...also for organic egg producing chickens,rather than free range but yes...problems can still arise and things can always be improved.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Taken from:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/food_matters/chicken.shtml

Obviously just info on chickens though...but shows I think a higher welfare standard for organic chickens than for free range...also for organic egg producing chickens,rather than free range but yes...problems can still arise and things can always be improved.
Yes...the key word being access....there always seem to be loopholes.
Page 16 of 25 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 > Last »