Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-11-2009, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Nope, they are still very much active!!!!!!!!!
Good!!
They are obviously better at hiding it through!!
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

26-12-2009, 02:21 PM
Just seen this. Now I have a dilemma. I'm against hunting with hounds, but as I've stated previously also dislike activities being banned. Also, this campaign is being lead by the curent government, so seems to me to be just a cheap stunt to drum up some support.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Hmmmm, I gather that the Tories would like to restart it. The barbarians are truly at the gate!

I am so anti that I might offend against the spirit of Dogsey if I comment farther.

Snorri
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

26-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest View Post
Hmmmm, I gather that the Tories would like to restart it.
I think you will find that the media are yet again distorting the truth.

The Tories (aka Conservatives) have stated in all their policy dcuments that they would allow a FREE VOTE which means that every MP would be allowed to vote according to his or her conscience (Sp?)

Given that the vast majority of hunts do not engage in killing foxes now (They use some kind of artificial scent for the dogs, not quite sure how it works but there is no end of hunt 'kill')

Also, given that the law was passed to prevent any cruelty, and for once seems to have been successful, I am willing to bet that in a FREE VOTE the MP's would vote for the staus quo. I might be wrong but I doubt an MP of any party would wish to be seen as introducing a law that allowed cruelty.

It's true that there have been a few cases where the old style hunts have taken place, and there have also been prosecutions. No law is perfect, one only has to look at the DDA to see that.

But I am happy with the law, and I'm very happy that people can still engage in country sports WITHOUT causing cruelty, and I say that as someone who has NEVER been on a hunt, and who has NEVER been a supporter of the 'old' style hunting.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2009, 05:27 PM
As I understand it, if there were a free vote it wouldn`t get through.
I used to work in Stables, so was a bit undecided about hunting - so I went on a couple of Hunts - one Farmers Hunt, and one posh one. It seemed the most inefficient way of safeguarding your stock I`ve ever seen TBH. So I went on a few drag hunts and found these just as good riding, but without the killing.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Given that the vast majority of hunts do not engage in killing foxes now (They use some kind of artificial scent for the dogs, not quite sure how it works but there is no end of hunt 'kill')
I have to say that I find this an extremely naive view. Fox hunting (as it was) is still very much alive in the UK
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2009, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I have to say that I find this an extremely naive view. Fox hunting (as it was) is still very much alive in the UK
Indeed it is, I know for a fact that they still "accidentally" kill foxes while out with the Hounds in the area around my old Village.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2009, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
As I understand it, if there were a free vote it wouldn`t get through.
I used to work in Stables, so was a bit undecided about hunting - so I went on a couple of Hunts - one Farmers Hunt, and one posh one. It seemed the most inefficient way of safeguarding your stock I`ve ever seen TBH. So I went on a few drag hunts and found these just as good riding, but without the killing.
That is well balanced, thank you xxxx
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2009, 07:24 PM
I cant wait for it to be made legal again, some of the pathetic Foxes I see would have their suffering ended if it were still legal now. Mind you, the ban was nothing more than an attemppt to gain support in the first place, I mean how many governments would make killing Foxes with dogs illiegal and then say to kill a MOUSE with dogs is illegal, but not a Rat! Typical idiots in charge of this country, look at what they have done up till now!
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2009, 07:37 PM
Well Honey has broken these laws, she caught and killed a squirrel on a walk (accidently) but I wonder how many dog owners on here can say that there dogs have not broken these laws?

I also don't know if its been said, but last year I was talking to someone and they were saying that it was proven to be more inhumane to kill a fox with a gun rather then dogs, as with a bullet you could miss something that would kill the animal quickly, and the animal could be walking for days before dieing (I found one last year), but with a dog once they get hold of the animal its dispatched quickly (with correct training).
Page 50 of 94 « First < 40 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 60 > Last »