register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Is CM improving as a TV trainer & offering more apt advice
Yes 45 52.33%
No 41 47.67%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Closed Thread
Page 40 of 84 « First < 30 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 50 > Last »
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2009, 06:08 AM
Originally Posted by tinkladyv View Post
I have used most of his techniques and have used The alpha Roll with success and pinning. Not sure what you mean by half choking though?
Why did you feel you needed to use them?
Wondering what circumstance with the dog made you do it.

The half choking - CM cuts off the airways so the dog is fighting for its life (or feels as if it is). Hence the violent struggles sometimes seen on tv

Wys
x
Eta: sorry Benmcfuzzylugs, just read you've asked the same questions!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2009, 07:25 AM
Originally Posted by tinkladyv View Post
I have three very happy dogs, who beleive me were terrified creatures when i first had them. I have used CM methods with them and my foster dogs, they are effective and im happy to say my fosterdogs/pups have all found long term families and are thriving, This comment is nonsense!
I respect that CM is not for everyone, but please dont condem those who have felt its good and works for them.
I will condemn anyone who uses aggressive, violent methods to train their dogs, seems you do so you fit into that bracket.
Becky
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2009, 07:30 AM
i watched an episode last night with my 16 year old daughter. i turned the volume down and asked her to describe what she saw. she said she saw a frightened bulldog being kicked by cesar while skateboarders surrounded her.

she said that it was no wonder the dog wasn't focusing on the skaters as it was more concerned with where the next kick was coming from.

she also said if she saw someone doing that to their dog she'd call the police!

out of the mouths of babes...
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2009, 07:57 AM
A `trainer` alpha rolled my Daisy - an agressive rescue I was working with to rehabilitate her. She did it so fast I didn`t have time to stop her. She had asked me to go to the other end of a tunnel and call her through. Fair enough. Daisy was muzzled. As I turned, Daisy jumped and barked, suddenly anxious that her person was walking away. The stupid woman threw herself on top and pinned her down and fought her. She was not a small woman and Daisy is not a particularly big German Shepherd.
Since then, I have to muzzle Daisy around trainers as she watches them suspiciously. In that instant she learned that people in that position hurt and frighten you. I have managed to get her to accept policemen, ticket inspectors, screeching children and skateboarders. But they didn`t attack her, did they?
Why would any normal person feel the need to physically subdue a small mammal who is totally dependent on them? I can only assume they enjoy the feeling of power. What does it prove - except that you are bigger and heavier than a dog. Wow. Big deal.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2009, 07:59 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Why would any normal person feel the need to physically subdue a small mammal who is totally dependent on them? I can only assume they enjoy the feeling of power. What does it prove - except that you are bigger and heavier than a dog. Wow. Big deal.
i think you hit the nail on the head. control freak also springs to mind.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2009, 08:57 AM
CM's methods are so cruel that I managed with little effort to stop Tai mating a friend's Alaskan Malamute bitch who is nearing the end of her season (unbeknown to us, before I am slated ).

Every time he attempted to climb on board, a swift "Oi" caused him to pause and look at me; a further snap of the fingers and a "down" resulted in a rapid dismount.

Even I was impressed ... I fully expected to have to at the very least grab his collar and pull him off her, or put him on the lead. But not, she and Tai had a lovely romp, mock fight and Catch-Me-If-You-Can race around our friends' garden.

Gosh I am so cruel
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-09-2009, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by tinkladyv
I have used most of his techniques and have used The alpha Roll with success and pinning. Not sure what you mean by half choking though?
I must say , given your profession, you would be such a fan of CM methods, along with using his most controversial techniques.

Given you are in a profession that fundamentally needs an understanding of "what makes one tick" and dealing with problems in a calm supportive way.... you would then chose to use "negativity" and "brutality" on the dogs that come to you for rehabilitation.

Surely with your experience as a support worker, dealing with behavioural problems, one would take that experience from one to the other.

After all a child/adult and dog , who suffers with any form of behavioural problems will require the same aproach to help them become good citizens and integrate into society

Would you use the same force on your "human" charges as you do on the dogs that come into your care!
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I must say , given your profession, you would be such a fan of CM methods, along with using his most controversial techniques.

Given you are in a profession that fundamentally needs an understanding of "what makes one tick" and dealing with problems in a calm supportive way.... you would then chose to use "negativity" and "brutality" on the dogs that come to you for rehabilitation.

Surely with your experience as a support worker, dealing with behavioural problems, one would take that experience from one to the other.

After all a child/adult and dog , who suffers with any form of behavioural problems will require the same aproach to help them become good citizens and integrate into society

Would you use the same force on your "human" charges as you do on the dogs that come into your care!
good point jackbox. i am a support worker and i work with 14-16 year olds who have been excluded or are at risk of exclusion. we give them the opportunity to experience college and see that there is a different way.

funnily enough, they always comment on how they feel respected by us and treated as another human being . we don't pander to them but neither do we bully or dominate. our success rate is in the 90's with progression and not an alpha roll in sight!
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2009, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post

Good post, JB.

Tinkladyv - I have a 10 month old puppy who was attacked quite brutally by someone on Tuesday night. He now seems to be afraid of people generally and will cower, back away and possibly bark. None of ths is behaviour I want him to display but he's reacting in the only way he knows how at the moment.

As you use CM's methods, would you force him to "face his demons"? Would you drag him out from where ever he's hiding to make him come close to strangers and string him up or alpha roll him if he refused, or barked?

Using harsh methods on dogs is outdated. Yes, many people did it years ago - my parents included because that's what they thought training was and they trusted the trainers they had at the time. Jerking the lead if a dog pulls is something they did with dogs when I was growing up but now they wouldn't dream of doing it. They're not professional dog trainers but they know harsh methods and cruelty when they see it.

Every dog should be considered an individual. It's not a case of one size fits all and I think each dog's reactions to something shoudl determine how it is either trained or rehabilitated.

Laura xx
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
CM's methods are so cruel that I managed with little effort to stop Tai mating a friend's Alaskan Malamute bitch who is nearing the end of her season (unbeknown to us, before I am slated ).

Every time he attempted to climb on board, a swift "Oi" caused him to pause and look at me; a further snap of the fingers and a "down" resulted in a rapid dismount.

Even I was impressed ... I fully expected to have to at the very least grab his collar and pull him off her, or put him on the lead. But not, she and Tai had a lovely romp, mock fight and Catch-Me-If-You-Can race around our friends' garden.

Gosh I am so cruel
Given as you say she was at the end of her season, my guess is nature played a big part in him listening to you ,,, and in her not allowing him to mate.

If she was in the crucial time and she was inviting him to mount... I doubt your "down" and "Oi" would have stopped him getting to her.
Closed Thread
Page 40 of 84 « First < 30 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 50 > Last »