Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2009, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
So does that mean if you have a problem dog you are not a knowledgeable dog owner.

How would you deal with a dog you found yourself owning that suffered from any of the above.

Are you saying that if you follow CM you will never get a dog with issues!!

Its a bit discontinuous to those who do post the like you have listed, insinuating that they are not good dog owners, or have no understanding of dogs.

I wonder how you would cope with a large dog aggresive dog, depending on CM to fix those issues!!
Jackbox, you know darn well that I wasn't saying that if you follow CM, you won't get a dog with issues. I was saying that I do understand dogs and the way they work, contrary to what Ramble was suggesting (even though she's now backtracking).

Anyone can get a dog with problems, it's how you deal with the problems that counts.

As for me owning a large aggressive dog, I would only get a large dog from a puppy (if ever I get one which is unlikely because of the Chis) and with guidance from CM's ways of working with dogs, I doubt very much that I would have an aggressive dog
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2009, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Okay CC. Whatever you say.As you say...it is there for all to see.
I haven't shoved anything in anyones face. I made a suggestion then I asked a question.That's all.
I have had a tirade of abuse as a result which frankly is unnecessary and isn't exactly moving the discussion along.
Let's get back onto the discussion huh?

As I have said...
I feel that watching the show with the sound off and watching the calming signals the dogs display is both upsetting, but also interesting as it opens up the question of what the dog is actually learning and how it is learning it. I think it is a useful exerecise.
You haven't suffered a tirade of abuse, so stop trying to drum up support and make yourself a victim, it's sad that you do that
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2009, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post
In steps, high and mighty Know it All number two

I've got nothing to say to you.
We've been there before and I think I've said all I have to say to you and that opinion still stands (I'm sure you remember it) So direct your ridiculous "smiley" posts to someone who will listen to your drivel Perhaps you and Ramble could start up your own "I am wonderful and know it all" forum. You'll get quite a few members on there in no time

So why are you replying. Doh !!!:
?

If you need to use CM's"methods"on your dogs that you have bred or had from puppies, it shows that you don't know how to raise dogs. I can just see you Alpha rolling them, running them behind a bike or roller blades to ensure they get enough exercise etc etc

I could understand someone trying them if they had a problem dog, but if you are so experienced & knowledgeable about dogs why do you need to look to others for methods ???
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2009, 03:16 PM

As for me owning a large aggressive dog, I would only get a large dog from a puppy (if ever I get one which is unlikely because of the Chis) and with guidance from CM's ways of working with dogs, I doubt very much that I would have an aggressive dog
That was the thinking that the man with the Malamute had when he Alpha Rolled his dog & got badly bitten, it was after this that CM's programs had the "health"warnings added
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2009, 03:16 PM
You haven't suffered a tirade of abuse, so stop trying to drum up support and make yourself a victim, it's sad that you do that
I will respond to any comments about CM and his methods on here now CC but not to your personal ones. I will not respond to anymore of your personal jibes...only to comments relevant to the thread.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-07-2009, 03:17 PM
I
You don't need to have sat an exam to know dogs. You don't need to have attended seminars to know dogs. You just need to be a loving, caring owner that observes dogs and makes it their business to understand the species.
Agree and disagree. I think you need good years of theoretical (ie study, seminars, exams maybe), AND practical experience actually working with dogs, to claim to be a dog professional...ie, behaviorist/trainer.
The average pet dog owner doesnt have that understanding unless they get serious about dogs.
*One* expression of this would be spending time on dog forums.
The best analogy is most people that own cars have lots of epxerience of owning - and driving cars - but that's it.
They dont know what makes them tick under the bonnet, unless they qualify as mechanics or become very serious hobbyist, ie spend time on car forums, buy lots car mags, attend many workshops, study manuals, etc, etc.
Its not a criticism or a negative - just the way it is, whatever the topic/interest/hobby.

Originally Posted by JanieM View Post
I think Ramble was only asking whether you'd read a certain book on calming signals?

I haven't read this book but I've seen a fair amount on the internet about them. I don't know what they all mean but I understand the obvious ones like wide eyes, panting, licking lips etc. I've seen dogs displaying these signals of stress when being pinned down by CM and I find it extraordinary that anyone can find it acceptable to put an dog in that position.
Hello JanieM, licking lips is a calming signal, whereas panting and wide eyes arent, these are outright stress signs.
Calming signals aren't stress signs per se, they are stress and tension avoidance/defusion signs.
The best analogy to describe a calming signal is when you are in a pub and you accidentally look at a stranger.
You then worry that they might perceive that you are going to be a threat, so you do lots of turning of the head and averting your gaze, making a deliberate point of avoiding any further eye contact.
It iss to calm down/defuse a threatening situation you perceive that *may* be imminent.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2009, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post

So why are you replying. Doh !!!:
?

If you need to use CM's"methods"on your dogs that you have bred or had from puppies, it shows that you don't know how to raise dogs. I can just see you Alpha rolling them, running them behind a bike or roller blades to ensure they get enough exercise etc etc

I could understand someone trying them if they had a problem dog, but if you are so experienced & knowledgeable about dogs why do you need to look to others for methods ???
Try to grow up, your posts are so inflammatory. Try to find something else in your life to use your time up. Trying to get me into an argument is plain silly, as you already know what I think of you

I won't be drawn into discussion about CM with you because you are just a bored woman looking for an argument and I'm not playing today. Have a family and a life, so I'm off
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2009, 03:22 PM
Hope this link works...just to add to what KW has said.
http://www.canis.no/rugaas/onearticle.php?artid=1
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I will respond to any comments about CM and his methods on here now CC but not to your personal ones. I will not respond to anymore of your personal jibes...only to comments relevant to the thread.
Another call from the victim, please
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-07-2009, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
Hello JanieM, licking lips is a calming signal, whereas panting and wide eyes arent, these are outright stress signs.
Calming signals aren't stress signs per se, they are stress and tension avoidance/defusion signs.
The best analogy to describe a calming signal is when you are in a pub and you accidentally look at a stranger.
You then worry that they might perceive that you are going to be a threat, so you do lots of turning of the head and averting your gaze, making a deliberate point of avoiding any further eye contact.
It iss to calm down/defuse a threatening situation you perceive that *may* be imminent.
Interesting, thanks for explaining, think I understand better now.

So if a dog yawns or licks lips what should our reaction/response be to this? I read somewhere that you should mimic that signal?
Page 50 of 125 « First < 40 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 60 100 > Last »